I cant name my baby :( lol

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by PrettyBonk, Apr 27, 2009.

1. PrettyBonk

PrettyBonk Alex,Abigail,&Grace's mom

can't name name baby

2. Rachel_C

Rachel_C Well-Known Member

Wow it sounds really complicated for you naming babies! I thought I had it bad because we're Muslims so the baby's name is supposed to be Arabic if possible and has to mean something nice, BUT I'm adamant that our baby's name should be familiar to Western people and I'm not keen on many Arabic names. Luckily, we managed to find a few names that we both liked and are Western enough but still Islamic. I still feel a bit bad that I can't just pick any pretty name I want for my daughter though. The names I came up with as a little girl (and still really like) are definitely out :hissy: My husband knows that so we made a deal - the first name will satisfy the religious requirements and I get to pick whatever middle name I like. So now we know we're having a girl, we've chosen Leyla as a first name (which means night) and I'm thinking of Rose as a middle name because it's simple and pretty and very English. I want my children to have the choice of going by their middle names if they prefer.

Anyway, I've written far too much about me, sorry! What I meant to say was that I think your OH is being a bit unfair, especially with the boys' names where he has chosen both of the names. If he's getting to choose one name on his own, you should at least get to choose the other. Would you possibly consider giving your baby two middle names? It might feel a bit poncy but it would make naming a lot easier because you could choose a name you LOVE as their first name, then pay respects to the various other people with the middle names. The child wouldn't have to be known by the full lot, it would just be there officially on their birth certificate if you want to use it all. OR if the baby will have your OH's surname, you could tell him that he can't use his own first name for the baby too!

To be honest, I think you're better at thinking of names than your OH! Abigail Ziandra is just perfect but I'm not really keen on his suggestions, sorry :sad1: I do like Grace and Belle, but maybe not together? Actually, I quite like the names Gabriel and Dominick too, just not really with Brandon.

Good luck choosing! If I were you, I would just tell your OH that he gets to choose ONE NAME AND ONE NAME ONLY and you get to choose the other!

Rach x

3. ShadowRat

ShadowRat Well-Known Member

Wow, this DOES sound complicated for you honey!! But I have to say that I agree with Rachel: If you have a girl, then your name choice is gorgeous and just perfect, and it came from you which is just lovely too :D
    But for a boy, I'd suggest you do what Rachel has said: Make a compromise with your OH about it. If he has a certain boy's name that he really wants to use (his own name or a family name) then I'd say you should get to choose the first name and use that as a middle name. With us, we decided before we even started trying for a baby that if we had a boy, he would have his dad's first name as his middle name: "Lee". My OH (Lee!) has HIS dad's name as his middle name, and it has been a sort of family tradition for a while. So our boy was always going to have a bit of his dad's lineage in his name. We talked a lot about what surname we would use, but decided to go with mine, as there will be no other little Regan's to carry on that name if we don't use it :cry: Besides, we both just prefer it as a surname to OH's surname. So we were left with the first name to choose, and we chose it very carefully and together. We both love the name Vincent, so it was fairly easy for us to agree on it!
    So we are having Vincent Lee Regan :happydance:

I feel like we each have a bit of family stuff, a bit of personal choice and a bit of shared choice in our boy's name, and we are both really happy with it. Could you do something similar honey? It's not fair at all about naming your first son :( Must be hard calling him by that name every day. Do something for yourself with this one, even if it is just a tiny part of the child's full name! :hugs:

:hug:
    Shadow xxx

4. ShadowRat

ShadowRat Well-Known Member

BTW Rachel, I think Leyla Rose is SO gorgeous :D

xx

5. PrettyBonk

Leyla Rose is gorgeous!!!!!!!! I love it...and I
    love the meaning of Leyla...
    and thank you...I do think its a bit unfair too...I'm going to fight for the middle names!!!!

6. elainegee

elainegee Well-Known Member

i like the name Grace x

7. PrettyBonk

Vincent Lee Regan is soooooooooooo nice!!!! It has presence if you know what I mean...
    like I sad I am going to fight for middle names...oh yes I am...I like names with meaning!!!! and I bought a baby book with their meanings!!!!
    I call my son Alex...instead of :sick: Roger :sick: and its hard when ppl call him Roger too :sick: specially when they call him by his last name that he probably wonders where it came from since he doesn't know his dad or of him.

8. babystar

babystar Guest

personally I love Gabrielle for a boy as a 1st name but my OH said no :(

:hugs: