I don't know how to take care of a baby!!!

channy3232

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately. I don't know shit about taking care of a baby!! LOL I don't know how to bathe a baby. I'm going to get a breast pump but what bottles do I use?? I know how to change a diaper but what if I don't wipe his little butt well enough?!!

So many things!! Do they teach you some of this stuff before you leave the hospital??!

LOL! I'm having this panic too, you'll be fine though and you get shown bathing and stuff at the hospital :)

Do you have your mother or mother-in-law to help you out? Or some friends who have had some children?

Many of the things you do not know you will learn. They show you the basics before you leave the hospital. If you feel overwhelmed at the hospital tell your nurse. She will probably be able to offer you some parenting classes you can take.

Maternal Instincts :hugs: Have you not ever baby sat before? They really aren't too complex, you just need to be gentle, but seriously, it all kicks in and you kinda just know :hug:

They do teach you a lot at the hospital :)
Nurses taught us how to bathe Elyse, prepare her bottle, change a diaper even (when to use which creams), how to swaddle..

My homecare nurse told me the maternity ward, for nurses, is nearly 100% 'health education' as far as their duties go.

Heehee!! I have no clue either!! Well, I've seen people do it on TV, and I'm addicted to 'Baby Story' and 'Bringing Home Baby', but I still don't know all the 'RULES' hahah!! I'm hoping I'll learn in the hospital, and if not, I'm sure we'll figure it all out!

I've babysat before plenty. And I have neices and nephews but never took care of a NEWBORN. Like days old newborn. My mom and mom in law live nearby but I feel like I'm going to be calling them every other hour panicking about something silly.

:hug: I had the same exact freak out right before DD was born! Trust me, you'll figure it out and everything will be just fine. Most hospitals will teach you how to do the things you don't know how to do before you leave. Mine actually has a mandatory class you have to go to or they will NOT discharge you.

I felt exactly the same but I found this great book on baby care, which covers everything from bathing, to breast feeding, to formula feeding, hygeine, dressing, sleeping - absolutely everything. I have read it and am now making OH read it because there was a lot I didn't know. You should go on amazon.com or something and find a book on baby care.

The one I have which I would highly recommend is called "New babycare book", a practical guide to teh first three years. The Author is Dr. Miriam Stoppard and the website for the book is www.dk.com

Hope this helps!

What they don’t teach you in the hospital will come naturally. You know more than you think - we all do:)

Thank you Esther!!! I'll look for it. That's definitely what I need.

We have no clue either and we dont even like children :rofl:

LOL don't worry, I'm sure it isnt rocket science. Cavewomen who didnt even have the internet or books managed! :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->