I dont know what to do...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by flumpy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. flumpy

flumpy Well-Known Member

so......
    seeing as how i wont be getting my 1st scan till i am 17 weeks:wacko: (and i am waiting till after then to tell people) when should i go to second tri? should i go at the usual time or hold off till I have had my scan (and know there is definitely a baby in there lol!!!

2. twinkletoes80

twinkletoes80 Pregnant with my first

No you should go at the end of the first tri (not that im trying to get rid of you!)
    Howcome you have to wait til 17 weeks for the first scan? Im struggling to get to 12 weeks without having a peek to check there's something in there!!
    I respect your patience!!

3. EternalRose

EternalRose Well-Known Member

Why are you not getting your first scan till after 17 weeks, surely that HAS got to be wrong?

4. hopeforamirac

hopeforamirac Well-Known Member

go to second tri at the right time, i dot know how you are holding out that long for your scan i would be going crazy :haha:

5. flumpy

flumpy Well-Known Member

trust me - i AM going crazy!!

well, i went for my booking in appointment with the midwife on friday just gone (which was late in itself - but was the earliest appointment i could get - i booked if 5 weeks ago lol!!) and she said 'right i will refer your for your scan, due to the hospitals queue it will be in 5 weeks time!'. i hae argued with her, argued with the hospital but they said i have to wait my turn like everyone else!! I spent all day friday crying my eyes out about it! but there is nothing they will do - and i cant bring myself to pay for a private one when i have so much to buy for the baby!

its just ridiculous!! i cant beleive it - me and DH dont want to tell anyone - even parents until we know there is deffo a heartbeat!! so i am going to have fun trying to hide it!

6. trashit

trashit Guest

where are you from? Thats terrible! I don't know how you'll be able to wait! xx

7. EternalRose

EternalRose Well-Known Member

omg hun, thats awful can you not go to a different hospital. Where do you live, can you and your OH not drive down to kent for the day..Im going to have a private scan and its only going to cost £50 which is cheaper than a lot..

8. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Where are you from? Thats awful, everyone is entitled to a 12 week scan, I work in a scanning department and if someone is referred, no matter how close to 12 weeks or even close to the limit they are seen by 13+6 even if they have to wait to be squeezed in, I would ask to be referred to a different hospital for the first scan.

9. chele

chele Mummy to Max & Hayden

respect. I can't even manage 7 and have booked in for one at 8 weeks
    Are you in the UK? That is seriously testing someones patiencE!!!!

10. flumpy

flumpy Well-Known Member

hi girls,

thanks for your support - glad you all think it is ridiculous - after the arguments with the midwife and hospital I was beginning to think it was just me tht thought this was crazy!!!

eternal rose - I am from west yorkshire so unfortunately its a bit far to drive to kent lol!! but £50 sounds like a right deal!!

Babybel - that is what I thought but the midwife and hospital were so adamant that I 'wait my turn' that I thought it must not matter - honestly i tried everything - i was in floods of tears they just dont care and its really upsetting.

Chele - tell me about it!! i have no idea how on earth i am going to a) wait that log to see my bean and be reassured all is well and b) wait that long to tell anyone!!!

11. twinkletoes80

twinkletoes80 Pregnant with my first

That is a long wait. But you know if your belly is growing I think its safe to tell family before your scan. I dont think I could hold it in!!
    Find a nice lady with a doppler who lives near you and get together!!

12. flumpy

flumpy Well-Known Member

yeah, you are probably right! i have no reason to think anything is wrong my boobs are massive and sore (although thats wearing off now) nausea etc and I havent had ay pain or spotting but there is just this tiny worry in the back of my mind that after 2 m/c i am not that lucky for everything to be fine this time!!!

13. BABYCAREY

BABYCAREY mummy to a angel

You have got great patience girl!! I am 12weeks today and have been watching for the postman to deliver my app letter!! I cant wait!! Wouldnt or couldnt wait til 17!! They are mad!!

14. lanaross

lanaross Mom to Bella and Greyson

flumpy just imagine the quality picture you'll get for your first scan!! Not like our early scans or 13 weeks scans, you'll get the most gorgeous pic! :):) Look at the bright side. Always.

15. kristen77

kristen77 Well-Known Member

argh, that's awful. poor you - can't believe they're being so unreasonable... is there an EPU you could perhaps go to or emergency gynae? i'm in manchester and found a place that does a private scan for £75...otherwise the doppler idea sounds like a winner! x

[​IMG]

16. flumpy

flumpy Well-Known Member

i am just scared that if i cant find it with a doppler (i understand it can be tricky) i will worry even more!!

i will try to talk DH into private scan but he is an accountant and will just tell me loads of other ways we can spend the money! i suppose he has a point - the scan will only give me reassurance - not change anything- if something is wrong a scan wont change that iykwim lol!!!

17. Erised

Erised Mummy to amazing girls

True, but the scan could tell you if your dates are off, if something is seriously wrong, if the child is actually alive and a lot more that SHOULD be checked. To leave you until it's nearly time for your second scan is ridiculous.

Could you not try to go to your GP and ask to be referred to a different hospital? I know I have the choice from 3 hospitals if I want to.
    If there really is no way, try calling your midwife in a week or so and ask if they can arrange for you to listen to the babies heart. They'll know where to look with their doppler, and they shouldn't have a problem with you coming in for that.
    Did your midwife even mention getting your bloods checked at around 16 weeks for down syndrom and stuff? Wonder if all that will get delayed for you as well, as a few things have a time scale on them from when til when you can actually do them.