'I don't like you!'

CaptainMummy

Reaction score
My dd3 has started saying this all the time! She isn't much of a tantrummer (though she does have her moments) but she has an awful habit of going in a stinking mood, the whole grumpy pouty face, crossed arms, walking off, and then returning to whomever has annoyed her and saying, right in their faces as close as she can get, 'I dont like you' or something along those lines. She says things like 'I just dont care' or 'I'm not playing with you anymore' 'Well haha, You cant do xyz' and she is a master of blowing raspberries at others too.

Basically you can tell she has two older sisters as her attitude stinks. She is a generally very friendly little girl and an absolute social butterfly, loves to chat etc but cross her and you will hear it.

I have tried ignoring, but it can go on for ages (especially if the other person retaliates) until someone gets upset, she is a fantastic arguer for a 2yr old! I have tried removing her, but whenever she returns she continues where she left off, I have told her to stop being nasty but it goes in one ear and out the other...

I cant imagine many of her age act the way she does, but I don't want her hurting her friends or sisters feelings. Help?

My dd2 is going through the same!! She too has picked it up from big sis (thanks Brooke!) I know you've said Hannah has good speech and Robyn does too- she uses phrases that seem much too old for her with full conviction and understanding. She will shout 'stop that's not fair' or 'go away I'm busy!' Or 'get on the naughty step now that's not kind!' At her sister or me and does lash out which her sister has never done. They get on sooo well mostly but do go for it when they argue! She is very funny and loving but also enjoys winding up us and her sister, she seems to enjoy pushing the boundaries and I'm really having to be firm with her at the moment. No advice but you aren't alone!

My son went through this phase. I usually just shrugged it off and told him he doesn't have to like everyone, (And if directed at me, I would then say "...but I still love you"). He hasn't done it lately so I guess it passes.

He's moved on to "I don't want to play with you" (meaning DD). It changes I guess, but it's still the same.

My two year old is going through this at the moment too, he is also a very good speaker

He usually says it randomly, like he'll be playing and i'll be doing my own thing and he'll just randomly say 'i dont like mummy' and like anofher poster said i just say that i still love him, he doesnt really say it because he is angry he just randomly says it (sometimes if hs doesnt want to do something)

If he says it to/about someone else i remind him its not kind to say things like that about other people but that doesnt really stop him

My boys say it at times still but it is getting less. And like misspriss I usually say "I still love you" and use as neutral a tone as possible. If they say it to each other I usually say stuff like: "Sounds like he really upset you." but again in a neutral tone. I think the neutral tone is essential cause it takes the power out of the phrase and the power of it is why she uses it in the first place, which why it escalates if the other person retaliates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->