I don't understand my midwife's logic

Carlee

Reaction score
So today I am either 13w2d or 7w2d pregnant.
Yesterday I saw my midwife who told sent me to get my betas done which I did right away and it came back as 54,294.
She said to call her with the results and then she'll decide if I should go for a dating scan right away or not.
Since my betas cannot tell me if I'm 7w or 13w surely I'd have to go for a scan right away anyway....
Is there something I am missing of have got my interpretation of my hcg levels totally wrong?

There’s such a wide range of normal hcg levels by week of pregnancy...I would agree the beta doesn’t tell you much at this point. Like if you weren’t sure if you were 4 weeks vs 8 weeks, the beta would give you a good idea. But with your levels it’s impossible to say if you’re 7 or 13 weeks.

I’d be pushing for the dating ultrasound if I were you! Good luck

Maybe she is using it to get a rough idea (there is prob a big difference in hcg at those weeks of pregnancy) so if you are 13 she could be able to tell and book the scan more urgently as you wouldnt of had your 12 week one? Just a guess x

I think there is a number your HCG should be over before they can see everything on a scan. My midwife doesn't do scans until after 8 weeks. Your number is high though, I would think she would send you for a scan, let us know how it goes!

Maybe she is using it to get a rough idea (there is prob a big difference in hcg at those weeks of pregnancy) so if you are 13 she could be able to tell and book the scan more urgently as you wouldnt of had your 12 week one? Just a guess x
As I said, the beta hcg levels don't really tell us anything:
3-4 weeks - 10 to 708
4-5 weeks - 217 to 8,245
5-6 weeks - 152 to 32,177
6-7 weeks - 4,059 to 153,767
7-8 weeks - 31,366 to 149,094
8-9 weeks - 59,109 to 170,409
9-14 weeks - 44,186 to 201,615
This is according to the lab that did my blood work.
I scored 54,294 so I could be anything from 6 to 14 weeks.

So I left my midwife a voicemail and she still hasn't called back. I know that I am 100% eligable for a dating scan now that I have my test results and that if I am 13w then I am already late for my 1st obligatory scan.
When I saw my midwife last she said that if the beta levels came back showing that I was earlier along than 13w then she wouldn't send me for a scan until April. I'm starting to think I should try to book myself a dating scan without my midwife's permission....

I would definitely book a private scan if you are having no joy with the midwife xx

The midwife called back and finally told me to go for a dating scan asap.
I called around and the earliest I can get 1 is the 15th! I am so frustrated! I don't know what to do or who to turn to. I know that I have to declare my pregnancy by the 18th and for that I have to go to my midwife with the scan. I have never had so much trouble with this sort of thing before. What is wrong with these people?
Sorry, I'm ranting. lol

As I said, the beta hcg levels don't really tell us anything:
3-4 weeks - 10 to 708
4-5 weeks - 217 to 8,245
5-6 weeks - 152 to 32,177
6-7 weeks - 4,059 to 153,767
7-8 weeks - 31,366 to 149,094
8-9 weeks - 59,109 to 170,409
9-14 weeks - 44,186 to 201,615
This is according to the lab that did my blood work.
I scored 54,294 so I could be anything from 6 to 14 weeks.
Like i said just guessing x

I think if they won't do one sooner I'd book a private scan if I could

I think if they won't do one sooner I'd book a private scan if I could
I am actually going privately but still can't get an earlier appt. I tried calling the hospital to get an emergency scan and was told no can do.

Oh wow, that's pretty awful especially since you're paying for it too. Could you go elsewhere?

Find a private scan clinic in your area? I know hospitals are really pushed for scans. Tell your midwife and if she’s worried she may refer you to EPU.

I have done all I can to get a scan asap but no luck. I have quite a busy week ahead of me and my husband left me this morning, out of the blue. I don't feel I can do any more.

At 1st he said it was because we have nothing in common which is nonsense. Finally the truth is comming out that he thinks the baby isn't his which would explain why he hasn't been very interested in my pregnancy.
He has always had trouble with the fact that when we were broken up, I dated other men. Now with the fact I bled mid-january and the fact we hadn't seen each other since mid-december, he doesn't believe he's the father.
The thing is, the scan will prove that it is but I'm worried he'll be out of the country by then.

The bleed mid January could have easily been implantation! I bled around 4-6 weeks, lighter than a period but for quite a while.

Can’t he just wait until you can prove to him for sure of the dates?

I really hope he can just wait for your scan xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"