I failed my 1 hr Glucose Test by six points.

Dragon_Chaser

Reaction score
So, as I have said before my DH is a Phleb. When the one hour test came around this time (We had one @ 9 weeks and I passed it) he insisted on drawing me at home, after I had followed his lab guidlines (not the 2 hour fasting my instructions gave me) of 8-12 hours fasting. Meaning I stopped eating after dinner, went to bed and woke up to him handing me that oh so yummy orange drink after close to 15 hours of not eating. I didn't feel horrible or anything and I'm pretty sure he ended up drawing me 10 minutes too soon, and I know I popped a piece of gum into my mouth as a sort of reflex- I've chewed gum every morning since about six weeks.

The cut off fr my OB office is 139- and I came in at 145. Needless to say I'm going to be taking the 3 hour test soon... I could understand doing it if i was 20+ points over, but this just seems wrong. I know things were messed up with the draw- like the extended fasting- after that long fasting your body automatically is a little slower on giving what you give it up. And the too soon draw.... I'm already high risk due to my clotting disorder. I DO NOT need GD added onto my list of problems.

So I need to make sure I pass the 3 hour one... Any suggestions?

I failed my one hour by about that much as well. I think in my case,i failed because they did the test late afternoon.
For my three hour test, about three days before, i limited sugar and carbs. Just ate really clean.
For the three hour test, you are supposed to fast.
I passed the three hour with flying colors. I'm sure you'll be fine.

I wouldn't try to alter it if I were you although it's unlikely if you have it that you'll be able to prevent your numbers from being off any how, if you have it, it's good to know (even though you don't want it) because you don't want to put your baby/yourself at risk...I got diagnosed early(14 weeks) and just an FYI my initial number was 147...I've never had it before but I'm 33 this time around (I was 27 last time) it's not fun but it's certainly not the worst thing in the world and you could have gotten diagnosed really early like me ;)

I failed my 1 hour by 3 points. The nurse actually stood there and argued with my doctor that it was only three points, but my doctor insisted I had to do the three hour. I know I failed it because they told me not to fast, and then before the test they told me I was supposed to be fasting. Thanks guys. However, I had my three hour today and I passed it with flying colors. I'm sure you will be fine if you were really close too.

I remember you from the Factor V Leiden thread a while back, Im glad to see you are still doing very well!

Yes.....my issue with the failing the one hour was they did not have me fast. It was after a full day of meals.

I failed the 1 hour test even though I fasted 12 hours (overnight), but I passed the 3 hour test no problem.

I failed my 1 hour by 3 points. The nurse actually stood there and argued with my doctor that it was only three points, but my doctor insisted I had to do the three hour. I know I failed it because they told me not to fast, and then before the test they told me I was supposed to be fasting. Thanks guys. However, I had my three hour today and I passed it with flying colors. I'm sure you will be fine if you were really close too.

I remember you from the Factor V Leiden thread a while back, Im glad to see you are still doing very well!

I remember you too!!! How are you doing? And Thank yu so much for the encouragement.

With my first pregnancy I failed the 1hr one marginally and passed the 3hr one, I've heard this is the case 25% of the time. I too fasted for like 12+ hrs not realizing I didn't have to, not sure if this had any effect on it or not. This time around I took the 1hr one and found out the lab took my blood and ran the wrong test on it! They ran a insulin test instead of a glucose test. I refused to take the test again.. My Dr said if I'm measuring big on the outside or if they find glucose in my urine I will just have to have my blood sugar levels tested, but other than that he's okay with it.

I failed my 1 hour by 34 points then passed the 3 hour, they can go either way. I fasted both times too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->