I feel like such a bad person!

youngmamttc

My family is complete
Reaction score
So I've got one if the mums from school on Facebook and noticed on Saturday night her DD was being sick with a tummy bug as she put a status on. Yesterday her child was still poorly but today I seen her walking to school. I've asked my DD to play with someone else today but not to be mean. So my DD proceeds to run up to another friend in the school yard and tell her they're not allowed to play with the poorly girl. I feel so awful but it's not been 48 hours yet and being a high risk pregnancy anyways I can't risk a tummy bug coming home. Why oh why can't people keep they're children home. Now I feel bad for this little girl as my DD can't play with her. Did I do the wrong thing by asking DD not to just until tomorrow?

You're right in saying people should keep their children off for the correct time, however I know a few Mums at my daughters school don't either.
I wouldn't of told my daughter not to play with someone though. I'd just remind her to wash her hands regularly, before lunch, after using the toilet...

Hopefully the LO that's in school is ok now and doesn't pass it on to your LO :hugs:

If my daughter was sick of the saturday but wasnt sick again, yes i would send her today. If we kept kids off every time they felt poorly they wouldnt go in. I do agree tho if sick should be off but as it was Saturday i can see why she sent her in today

I understand it was Saturday but it was Saturday night about 9pm so it wouldn't be 48 hours until tonight. The NHS recommends 48 hours after last episode of vomiting to avoid passing it on. I just feel like I've totally done the wrong thing but a simple tummy bug could cause me to lose this baby :(

Can I ask why your pregnancy would be at risk from a tummy bug? Is it the germ or the actual force of vomiting?

The force of vomiting. I'm on full pelvic rest I'm not even allowed to strain on the loo or lift anything heavier than my child. So frequent vomiting wouldn't be ideal. I understand I went about it the wrong way but I was just being over cautious, I feel poo but there's nothing I can do until home time now :( urgh.

I think it's a bit extreme to ask and expect your child not to play with children because they have been sick 2 days ago. It could compromise your child's friendships and cause her to feel left out. While she may be not playing with that child she may be sat next to another who has a bug in class. I understand your worry but tummy bugs are common and generally not a cause for concern, certainly not miscarriage. For that one child in school who was sick on Saturday there are probably 10 who will be sick tomorrow, it's not really avoidable.

I just wanted to offer some advice incase it was the vomiting!! If you google vinegar for the bug you will find some articles about how drinking a cap full of vinegar can kill the bug in the belly! Since finding that out I have managed to miss all the bugs, the smaller children have been ill but me and the older children who dont mind drinking a little vinegar have managed to skip the bowl for about 3 runs of bug in the house. For us, if someone in the house has bug we have a precautionary capful, and if we know we have the belly ache a capful again keeps it at bay for a good few more hours and so on. I think the science is, the bug wants to multiply so sits on your food in your belly, slows your digestion and aggravates your stomach to be able to come out and breed! So if you can use vinegar to kill the bug on your work tops, then a capful kills enough in your belly to stop the aggravation, hence no vomiting! Dont try more than a capful as you can give yourself a headache, but a capful every couple of hours has showed real miracles around here :)

Its not something I would have said however im not in your position and you are pregnant. Dont worry about it you cant change it now. im sure the little girl would have plenty people to play with

I just wanted to offer some advice incase it was the vomiting!! If you google vinegar for the bug you will find some articles about how drinking a cap full of vinegar can kill the bug in the belly! Since finding that out I have managed to miss all the bugs, the smaller children have been ill but me and the older children who dont mind drinking a little vinegar have managed to skip the bowl for about 3 runs of bug in the house. For us, if someone in the house has bug we have a precautionary capful, and if we know we have the belly ache a capful again keeps it at bay for a good few more hours and so on. I think the science is, the bug wants to multiply so sits on your food in your belly, slows your digestion and aggravates your stomach to be able to come out and breed! So if you can use vinegar to kill the bug on your work tops, then a capful kills enough in your belly to stop the aggravation, hence no vomiting! Dont try more than a capful as you can give yourself a headache, but a capful every couple of hours has showed real miracles around here :)

I want to kiss you for this advice! What kind of vinegar? How often? Just as one child starts vomitting?

As for the post if my child was sick Saturday night but well the Sunday (with no runny tummy) I would send them in Monday, I'm not letting them lose a day off school and me a day off work for precaution when they are perfectly well, my eldest especially bounces back from a stomach bug very quickly, my youngest is a little different we have to use our own common sense. I wouldn't have said anything to my child because I know what he's like he would tell everyone they can't play with X, but I do totally understand your fear, as soon as I hear there is a bug going around I feel nauseous, I hate my children being ill and I really hate it too.

Oh this mum had on Facebook her child was still ill yesterday. I wouldn't even be bothered if there wasn't a risk of me losing this baby. I feel terrible but tomorrow the little girl should be fine so my DD can play away and hopefully all is okay. I just don't want to lose my baby over something so preventable x

Unfortunately it's the season for stomach bugs and I think they're far from easily preventable it's a by product of having kids unfortunately, my darling DS1 gave me stomach bugs at 5 months pregnant and 4 days post partum! As far as I'm aware a stomach bug isn't a concern you just need to keep your fluids up, it's food poisoning that can be dangerous but that's because the bug itself not the vomitting.

Oh no it's the force of vomiting. I've got a partially detached placenta. I'm on full pelvic rest and not even allowed to strain on the loo or lift anything heavier than my toddler. The force of vomiting could possible cause the rest of my placenta to detach. Xx

I see, if you start feeling unwell I would call your mw there is an injection you can get to stop vomitting (not sure if they will do it in pregnancy) have they briefed you about what you should do? With stomach bugs being so prevalent this time of year especially when you have kids I'm sure they're aware of the possibility? Maybe you will have to quarantine yourself if it gets in the house? It's just one of those hard things to avoid unfortunately! It won't just be this woman who has done it. Must be very worrying though.

Tbh I probably would have done the same! I have emetophobia (fear of vomiting), so any mention of a stomach bug sends me running for the hills! X

If my daughter was sick of the saturday but wasnt sick again, yes i would send her today. If we kept kids off every time they felt poorly they wouldnt go in. I do agree tho if sick should be off but as it was Saturday i can see why she sent her in today

And that's how another child ends up sick!
It's 48 hours from the last episode of sickness, that they shouldn't be sent into school.
I find it irritating. I've 5 children and once one gets it they all do- which can go on weeks. Yes at times it's unavoidable, kids get bugs etc- but if parents actually kept their kids at home for the required times, there'd be a lot less spreading.

I want to kiss you for this advice! What kind of vinegar? How often? Just as one child starts vomitting?

As for the post if my child was sick Saturday night but well the Sunday (with no runny tummy) I would send them in Monday, I'm not letting them lose a day off school and me a day off work for precaution when they are perfectly well, my eldest especially bounces back from a stomach bug very quickly, my youngest is a little different we have to use our own common sense. I wouldn't have said anything to my child because I know what he's like he would tell everyone they can't play with X, but I do totally understand your fear, as soon as I hear there is a bug going around I feel nauseous, I hate my children being ill and I really hate it too.
your child might bounce back but the guide lines are there for a reason cos there still contagious and could pass it on to a child who might not bounce back as quickly or might have u dwrlying health problems.

op i woukd have done the same. hope your lo doesnt catch it.

your child might bounce back but the guide lines are there for a reason cos there still contagious and could pass it on to a child who might not bounce back as quickly or might have u dwrlying health problems.

op i woukd have done the same. hope your lo doesnt catch it.

Im sorry but I am a full time working mother commuting an expensive 90 miles round trip a day with a military husband who is often sent away or told "service to country before self" so is not allowed to take the time off so it all falls on me. It also means we move around the country so I have no family around me to help and currently no friends having just relocated our entire lives all over again. It costs me £90 a day to get to work and if I can't go in that day I am not paid so I have paid out £90 to not work, money I do not have, you can judge me all you want and try to guilt trip me about spreading germs but I live in the real world, I am a real person who loves my children and would never wish harm on anyone but if my child is healthy he is going to school on the Monday, losing £90 and a full day of education because of the sake of 12 hours is unrealistic. I have a family to think about just as everyone else does, if people want this addressing talk to the government about parental rights in the work place, especially in the bloody military!!!!!!!!

Op if have done the same. It drives me bloody mad when people send their knowingly sick kids to school or before the incubation period is over. My eldest was hospitalised every year for three years with gastro because of people like that. And I'm even worse now since ds3 was critically ill in January after catching flu (which his brother brought home from nursery)

You did nothing wrong in my eyes. In your situation no precaution is too much!

Stomach bugs don't just spread because people don't quarantine for 48 hours, it can take up to 48 hours to get symptoms but can spread it before that if you don't wash your hands after going to the toilet, which lets face children aren't as good at which is why they always spread stuff so much between each other, so it's not all about being contagious afterwards. I don't know any adults that wait 48 hours after the last bout of sickness before returning to work, life just doesn't work like that for everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->