• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

I feel so horrible - I have been eating peanut butter twice a day...

DevotedMommy

Mother of 1, 1st Tri w/#2
Reaction score
... and I have 35 food allergies. My daughter has 7. Peanuts are not one of our allergies, but regardless I absolutely shouldn't eat peanut butter because it might make my baby allergic! Some of my daughter's food allergies are the same as mine but others are not. I feel sick to my stomach knowing I have eaten this at least twice a day. I want to cry. I feel so horrible. Obviously, I am not going to have anymore but I feel so ignorant. I never heard this whiile I was pregnant with my daughter 8 years ago so I am guessing this is new information. :cry:

There are a LOT of conflicting opinions on this. I have allergies in my family as well, and I ate peanut butter mulitple times a day for my whole pregnancy with my son and he is perfectly fine. The only thing he has is an aversion to cows milk - makes him flegmy - in fact peanut butter is his favorite food :p So don't feel too badly!!

Don't feel bad. You don't know, what you don't know. It's enough that you are going to stop eating it now. I think a lot of the information out there is just preventative information and that it doesn't mean something is GOING to happen, but just that it COULD. You'll be fine...and so will your little one!

:hugs: Don't feel bad - I think it's just a precaution if allergies run in the family but I don't know how much evidence there is to suggest it increases the risk of your child developing an allergy to it anyway. As you said, in the past there wasn't any information about all these things we shouldn't eat now and babies were born just fine :hugs: x

There are a LOT of conflicting opinions on this. I have allergies in my family as well, and I ate peanut butter mulitple times a day for my whole pregnancy with my son and he is perfectly fine. The only thing he has is an aversion to cows milk - makes him flegmy - in fact peanut butter is his favorite food :p So don't feel too badly!!

I am allergic to cow's milk as a matter of fact!!! And yes, peanut butter is one of my favorite foods too.

Thank you to all of you. It must be hormones but I am seriously on the verge of tears over this!!! It is taking everything in me to not start crying right now.

It's so frustrating when you try to so hard to know everything possible and do everything "right" but then to find out something you have been doing which you thought would actually be a good thing (protein) can actually be dangerous and harmful!

THANK YOU so much JerseyShoreGirl for bringing this up!!! I had no idea.

I'm a peanut butter addict and don't think I could go another 8 months without it.

I've wondered about this, you would think eating peanuts would kind of make baby immune to the peanut allergy, if you know what I mean.

Although, I don't have any allergies so I'm still eating it. I'm vegetarian so it's my excuse for protein :munch:

Aww hunny, try not to worry. I'm not even sure how I knew this, but it's certainly not mentioned in a list I got from the hospital.
Two of my cousins have allergies to peanuts, my sister has one to walnuts and I am allergic to milk proteins so I have been steering clear of peanuts but I really really miss peanut butter!

This is all news to me!

At least I'm not the only one! :haha:

Thanks everyone for your reassurance! I guess what's done is done. I can't control that, but I can control what I put into my body going forward. No more peanut butter! :cry: That seriously makes me want to cry too!

Crud now I am getting worried. I was told not to because of no allergies in my family. The rough thing is my mom thinks she is allergic and gets itchy but she hasnt been tested. My girls are all fine so grrr now what do I do LOL

My OH is allergic to nuts. His mum didn't eat nuts during her pregnancy and no-one else in their family has it....

When Pregnant with Carlee I was told IF your body is use to doing something Prepregnancy then IT IS OKAY to keep doing it while pregnant so If you always ate peanut butter then keep it up.

And NOTHING is harmful if your able to keep food down at this point what matters most is you a nd your baby get all the vitamins you need to gain weight.

So I would relax, If your really worried try to mix peanut butter with something so your not eatting just on bread or whatever.

Im dieing for some peanut butter toast that is super messy and dripping... Hmmm I think it's ok. I agree with soon2be3 Shall i run and make some lol

The whole dont eat peanuts, Is aload of rubbish to be honest, they were saying it when my mum was pregnant with me and she ate peanuts all threw out and Im fine! Your baby could be allergic to anything, so what are we supposed to do just not eat for the 9 months?!
XX

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The evidence on the peanut eating thing is very sketchy and contradictory. Some studies in fact suggest that avoiding peanuts or other allergens can make a child more susceptible to allergies not less. https://www.fsascience.net/2008/01/23/giving_advice_when_the_science_is_uncertain In the face of conflicting advice I stick to the status quo and prefer not to change my behaviour.

You all make excellent points. Thanks for confusing me further! :haha: Just kidding! I know that our family does have a predisposition for food allergies, and this is definitely something that is passed down from one generation to the next, according to my allergist. As I mentioned before, some of the allergies my daughter has are the same as mine but others are not. I think that if you have a genetic predisposition for an allergy for something you should definitely avoid it... like egg yolk. I will avoid allowing the baby to have that for quite some time since both my daughter and I are allergic. However, all of our allergies are mild to moderate, no severe or life-threatening allergies. Neither of us have peanut allergies although I am allergic to some shellfish and nuts (daughter is not though). I am also allergic to cow's milk. However... with all of that being said, I have tried various foods since I've been pregnant and have not had any reactions other than a rash around my eyes (psoriasis looking thing). I have no idea what's causing it because I have been eating so many different things and I really don't care too much. The reactions that really bother me are the stomach cramping / aching / breathing issues. Honestly, I am afraid of what I will even be able to eat once I hit 6 weeks so I am eating what I want now. I think I should probably try to get as much nutrition as possible in until I get morning sickness, in case it strikes. Once that hit with my daughter I couldn't eat ANYTHING. I lost 20 lbs during the first 6 months with her. So until then, unless by some miracle I don't get m/s with this one, I will eat to my fill and may have some peanut butter, but not excessive amounts. I think the key to anything is moderation. If m/s is tolerable to eat with I will just see what I am able to eat. I guess I will just take it one day at a time. I do get alot of nausea now in the afternoons until evening... so I'm not eating a whole lot then anyway, other than crackers and water. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all of your advice! I really appreciate it! :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"