i feel so stupid for asking.... but what is a sweep?

This thread has made me giggle!! I'm picturing evil instruments and toilet brushes now!

I had one yesterday (she said she was gonna do an internal, and then decided to sweep) it was bloody uncomfortable, slightly painful but definately more uncomfy than anything! I said to my OH if they go in there during labour then fine (I'm sure the contraction pains distract you) but without warning it was a bit of a shock!!!

My doctor only used 2-3 fingers though I think. I was 1cm dialed so don't think she could get more in.....she did say she could touch the babies head!! My OH is now so freaked out by it, he won't DTD to get things moving!!

:o i didnt think you could feel baby by going up there. Omg i'm getting so clever reading all this lol

Hee hee, love the toilet brush thing! I had an early sweep last week, kind of weird sensation, a bit like being a hand puppet! I was about 1cm dilated outside but not yet started inside ( the outside of the cervix dilates and the inside eventually follows) so Im guessing she couldnt actually sweep the membranes which may be why it didnt hurt at all. At least it tells you if your favourable for induction or not. There is a table of criteria and you have to score a certain amount before they are allowed to induce you. Anyway,I have another one on friday so it will be interesting to see if anything has changed, I have high bp by the way which is why they want baby out rather than in!! x

A membrane sweep is when the membranes are separated manually from the cervix.

The MW inserts a finger or two through your cervix (so really your cervix should have already started dilating a bit) and then sweeps her finger(s) around to detach the membranes of the amniotic sac from the cervix, which is supposed to release prostaglandins.

HTH :)

I have another stupid question...are sweeps routinely done in the states? Any ladies in the US that can shed some light on this? I've never heard of anyone here who has had one, and haven't noticed that the ladies on here ho have had one are in the US. (maybe I'm not paying attention though)

In the States they call it "stripping the membranes", and yes, it is done quite often by ob's and midwives when you get to the 39/40 week mark.

In the States they call it "stripping the membranes", and yes, it is done quite often by ob's and midwives when you get to the 39/40 week mark.

Ah! Thank you, I have been wondering this for quite some time! Even in medicine there seem to be definite differences in how things work in the UK and the US, have to clarify things sometimes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->