I had a horrible/scary hospital appt today =-(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Louise, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Louise

Louise Proud mum to baby Nick

So due to my anxiety, Im sent in for monitoring every other day from now until baby is born, just to reassure me and dr's that everything is ok.
    I went in today, they hooked me on to a CTG machine and everything seemed fine- the MW's were joking around with me saying that Im going to ware out the "movement" button if baby continued to move the way he was doing; then they were saying he was a little figet bum etc etc:-
    So it all looked ok as far as I was concerned, contractions were coming but no regular enough to say "Yes, labour is approaching"-
    Well I get taken off the machine and go to the loo so that they could have a sample... I come back, and they're like "Miss Hamlyn, we need to put you back on the CTG machine for a further 15 minutes or so, its requested by the DR"... I was all happy about it because I honestly thought that my contractions had made some progress and I was going to possibly have Nicky today- this was until they shown me the report sheet from the monitoring, and pointed out that his HB had dropped a few times;
    That was it, I was panick ridden and was so close to tears- I was terrified. I was so scared I was shaking; I asked MW why his HB may have dropped and she started waffling on about the COARD BEING WRAPPED AROUND HIM... That was it for me, I was having panick attacks and all sorts, as Im sure YOU would too if you were being fed this information.
    So Im sitting there in total fright and I start getting pains, horrible excruciating pains, so bad I was crying... I got maybe 4 of them in a space of 2 mins and the dr came in to see if I was ok... I asked if Nicky was ok, she said yes, all looked perfect, but she was concerned about the pains- I know I shouldnt have lied, but I actually told her that they had gone, when really I was still sat in the chair in agony. I just wanted to go home, I didnt want to hear the words "We are keeping you in"- as far as I was concerned, as long as my little boy is ok, nothing else matters.
    I have to go back on tues for another monitoring and Friday (my DD) to discuss C-section due to my anxiety. They dont think I can cope with a natural birth, im far too anxious and they fear it will just cause me more problems...
    I really thought something was happening to my baby.. I dont think I have ever been so terrified.:cry:
    Sorry for the long rant x x x

2. ishtar

ishtar Mum of one son

Oh my goodness, I hope you're feeling better now!

3. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

wow thats some hospital you have tehre, mine wouldnt be that nice and monitor me for stress! your lucky. i didnt think C sections were avalible for stres either, esp as your so close to going natrualy.

As for the cord wrapped around him, all 3 of mine came out with the cord around there necks, i know this wont make any diffrence to you and the way your feeling but its really not that much of a big deal, its very very comman and all of mine were fine once teh midwifes took the cord off them.

I know its hard coz he is ytour first etc, but please try not to worry, im sure you and Nicky will be fine

x

4. Wobbles

Wobbles WoBbLeWoBbLe
    Administrator

Without having been in the position & reading Laylas post I think she makes sense Louise and it would ease my mind Layla :D

As for being in agony - hun you really should have said and if this persists you must ring up - for your own sake x

5. Caroline

Caroline Proud Mum of 4

As Layla said its very common for babies to have cord around neck. Like Layla all mine had the cord round neck when arrived, and all were fine.

6. Louise

Louise Proud mum to baby Nick

Layla, in regards to the hospital and the support etc from dr's MW. They have been really nice about things, but because im soooo bloody anxious, I think they feel that they have to be that way!
    In regards to the CSection, APPARENTLY, according to my gyney, if a CSection is requested by the DR's, on the consent form it states "at mothers request", now I didnt know they were able to do that either? that was definitely a new one on me.
    I think they just wanna do whats best for me and baby.
    I bet you girls were real scared when you heard of the cord being around your lil ones necks? I know if it was me, I would go into a state of shock and freak out, but again, like you said, it's my 1st and Im sure alot of people would react that way....

7. Imi

Imi .

Both of mine had cord around there necks and there fine.

You really must calm down because that can stress out lil one and cause HB to go all over the shop, and if they were that concerened they would have kept you in.

Im sure EVERYTHING will be A ok hun ...

Take care

imi
    xxx

8. Layla

Layla Well-Known Member

I think alot of mums would and do react that way yeah, midwifes often forget that saying somethings, altho comman for them would freak the life out of first times mums. so they can say it and strug it off knowing the facts etc but to the mum they have said it to it can be a big deal and very scarey.

I was induced with Coby, i wanted a c section coz he was big but they wouldnt do it, his heart rate kept dropping loads during labour (had a quick labour) and the consultant said i had half an hour to get him out myself otherwise they would do a section, at my hospital even tho his heart rate dropped alot they still wanted me to do it natraul coz its classed as better that way, so your very lucky you have such understanding consultants, wish they were more like that here lol

Your almost at youe due date so if you do go in to labour natrualy, try not to panick, its the most unbeliveable exerpicance (sp?) you will ever go through and something that you will cherrish forever, and even tho it will be painful, you can always have drugs! lol :D

Best of luck

x

9. Imi

Imi .

Must admit layla your right i loved my nautral births!

Drugs the first time none the second as coon as the head has dropped you have no pain!

xxx

10. mickey

mickey Well-Known Member

I also would not like to hear baby has cord around neck, as it is my first one as well!!!

but I think you can go with what the experienced ones here say and I am sure everything will be fine!

please, try to calm down!

all the best x