I had no idea that so many complications could come with pregnancy...Update pg3

sandyhen85

Reaction score
I posted this in the first trimester, but thought you ladies in the third trimester might be able to help me a bit more...to begin with I'm really sorry if I sound a bit dense, but I am very confused about the Rh factor, I have read the thread that is in the first trimester and various things online, but im still confused. I had a mc in Aug 2012 followed by an ectopic pregnancy this year...I am now 10 weeks pregnant and rh- I did not get any shots following my last two pregnancies (2 losses) though and I have read that now it would be too late and I would just need to be monitored and baby might need blood transfusions in the womb if it gets anemia...am I understanding everything right, is this correct there is nothing that can be done because of my previous losses? I'm very concerned now...it feels like I get through one hurdle and then come across another, I just want to be able to relax and enjoy my pregnancy, but it appears that is not to be for me. I live in Thailand and it is days like this that I regret it and wish I was back in the UK...thank you in advance for any info you have ladies x

I'm not sure about your question in particular, but do you know the father of the baby's blood type? I'm Rh negative but so is DH, so it's not an issue whatsoever. I've had doctors and nurses try to insist on giving me rhogam as SOON as they found out I was Rh negative. I always thought it was odd that they didn't even ask about the baby's father's blood type. Luckily I'm a biology teacher so I know a bit about blood types, or I'd definitely have had that shot by now. It'd be a good idea for you to find out the dad's blood type before you spend another second worrying!

We are going to get OHs tested however, both his parents are positive, so I think I'm right in thinking that would make him positive too? My question really is should I be worried that they didn't give me the injection after my ectopic and if I have developed antibodies already then is it correct that nothing can be done? :-(

Actually if you are rh-, you can have a baby rh+ once. Your body would create antibodies then, but wouldn't react until the second time they are exposed.
If they find that your baby may be rh+ I would get the rhogam shot. There is no harm in getting it, as far as I know. But all this to say, even if you've built up some antibodies, you are not screwed! I believe you can go on to have normal pregnancies!!! Good luck and I hope you can have some peace of mind <3

Also even if your first two pregnancies were rh+, it doesn't automatically mean that you were exposed to that factor. You may have zero antibodies against it. Do you know if they can test your blood for that? Might be worth asking about.
I'm sry about your losses :( and I pray you have a great preg this time around <3

My mums RH negative and I was the baby that had the blood transfusions and born at 27 weeks . They didn't give her the shot when pregnant with my sister in her first pregnancy . I would get the shot x my mums third baby also required a full blood transfusion but no other health issues .

I'm having my blood tested in 2 weeks to see if I have built up any antibodies from the ectopic, I just can't believe no one thought to mention anything at the time...things out here really are different medically speaking.

Babymonkey thank you for the well wishes, I really do hope everything will be ok with my little one.

Ama really glad everything worked out for you when your mum gave birth, That must have been a very scary time for your mum. I will for sure be getting the shots, just hope I don't already have antibodies in my blood due to the ectopic because apparently the shot won't work then.

You can become exposed to rh and therefore develop antibodies during a miscarriage. I think general advice is that you should have had a shot within 72 hours of a miscarriage to prevent your body creating antibodies to rh.

You can find out if you've been exposed by having a blood test to detect antibodies -- I have it done at every OB appointment.

And, of course, knowing your OH's blood type is important too.

We are going to get OHs tested however, both his parents are positive, so I think I'm right in thinking that would make him positive too? My question really is should I be worried that they didn't give me the injection after my ectopic and if I have developed antibodies already then is it correct that nothing can be done? :-(

That's not necessarily true. I'm gonna try not to let TOO much of the biology teacher in me come out, but here's how it works. ;) It's possible that each of his parents has 1 gene for Rh+ and 1 for Rh-. That would make them both Rh+ but give them the possibility of passing down the Rh- gene. In this case, your OH would have a 25% chance of being Rh-. So while it's likely that he is Rh+, there's a chance he's not.

As for whether or not you should be worried, that's something you really need to ask your doctor. The fact of the matter is, there's nothing you can do to go back and change time. I'm sure they have a procedure for handling your situation.

Oh and if you don't mind, sandyhen, could you keep us updated on this? I would love to hear how things end up. I think regardless of your antibody situation, you can still go on to have a great pregnancy, especially since you are looking into it at early around 10 weeks. <3 praying for you, love!

I had a mc before I had my little girl and wasn't given the injection as I was told its only given at certain points in pregnancy! I had my injection at 28 weeks as the norm here in uk and baby will have one when she is delivered!

I had pph and lost 2 liters of blood and it still wasn't an issue then so IMO it's not so ethi g I'm concerned about as long as u follow guideline and have all the injections I need should be ok!!

Hope this has put your mind to rest if you are concerned would speak to your gp x

Mhk425 I am actually very thankful for the biology lesson...Ill be sure that OH gets his tested to confirm :)

Babymonkey18 no problem, ill be sure to keep you updated...I do like to make sure my threads have an answer at the end, because I think it really helps people like me in the future...I constantly read threads that are old, some have the final outcome and others don't.

Becki_k1 thanks for sharing your experience, I am already seeing that different doctors have different opinions on it, one lady in first trimester said you must have it even with a miscarriage, but then there is people such as yourself that haven't had it an you're fine...this gives me some hope, but also explains why my doctor didnt give it me, they must be like yours here. I know that the bottom line is that OH must get tested and then I must be tested to see if I have antibodies as well...we will be getting these on the 14th, just need to try and keep calm until then...thanks again everyone

Yes that is correct, he would be positive. They should've given you the shot after the first miscarriage, is what the literature says. But don't panic just get a good OB that will monitor your pregnancy very closely.

That's not necessarily true. I'm gonna try not to let TOO much of the biology teacher in me come out, but here's how it works. ;) It's possible that each of his parents has 1 gene for Rh+ and 1 for Rh-. That would make them both Rh+ but give them the possibility of passing down the Rh- gene. In this case, your OH would have a 25% chance of being Rh-. So while it's likely that he is Rh+, there's a chance he's not.

As for whether or not you should be worried, that's something you really need to ask your doctor. The fact of the matter is, there's nothing you can do to go back and change time. I'm sure they have a procedure for handling your situation.
This is true too.

Oh hun I'm so sorry for your losses.. Your situation sounds exactly like mine.. First a miscarriage, then an ectopic. Except I believe I was given the rhogam shot after both losses...

I remember at the beginning of THIS pregnancy, I was worried about the risks again, because I don't think I've ever been tested for the antibodies, but my OB at the time wouldn't give me the rhogam shot as it "wasn't necessary". I ended up having to get it at around 8-10 weeks anyway as I found I had a subchorionic hematoma, and wasn't too sure what would happen if it had burst.. so the emergency department gave me the rhogam shot to be on the safe side.

Even being RH-, I still don't know a whole lot about how it works and what happens with it exactly. I start trying to read up on it and it makes my head spin.

But don't give up on hope, I never thought when I found out I was pregnant again, that I would see this day, being 38 weeks, almost time to hold my baby. And you being 10 weeks already, you just have a few more to get through before the miscarriage risk decreases significantly.

I agree with a PP, please keep us updated!

I'm not sure where you are but I am in aus and you have routine shots throughout your whole pregnancy I think there is 4 all up. I was never given my proper bloods with my first and after 10 weeks of bleeding and a trip back to my home town to stay with family my family dr asked me for my blood group which I didn't know he put an emergency on it and called me back in the next morning I was rushed off to hospital given the anti d jab and had my antibodies in my blood checked before I got the results the dr warned me that the baby will most likely either die by 12 weeks or die at birth because of how long I had been bleeding unless the baby was a negative also well baby survived and he was a positive they were very very shocked. When I got the bloods back she said baby is very strong it must be a negative but nope lol he proved her wrong sorry to go on lol. But yep if would ask for your antibodies to be checked if they haven't already and I don't know about anti d where you are but that is what happens here in aus I think it's 12 weeks 28 weeks 36 weeks and when baby is born. I have had a lot more than that as you are suppose to get one every time you bleed and I bled for the first 16 weeks with this one so had 4 in that time it was crazy. If you have the shots you should be fine and if antibody levels come back normal baby will be fine.

He could still be negative if they both carry the negative gene. I'm +\+ (only know that from a DNA test) so we knew only possibility for our boys was + even though DH does carry the negative gene.

I'm Rh-, I had a previous loss and wasn't given the anti D but it was never raised as a concern in my subsequent pregnancies, I just had the anti D at 28 weeks, after birth and after a bleed.

Hi ladies, I promised to keep this updated, so I just wanted to let you know that OH got his blood tested today...we had slight hopes because it turned out his dad is O-, but unfortunately OH is O+ so now to wait until the 14th when I get my screening done...fingers crossed all will be ok :)

***strike that, his dad is O positive, seems there was some confusion over which group is the universal group, OHs family in the Philippines think O positive is still classed as the universal group***

I'm Rh-, I had a previous loss and wasn't given the anti D but it was never raised as a concern in my subsequent pregnancies, I just had the anti D at 28 weeks, after birth and after a bleed.

Thanks for this, it gives me some hope :)

I'm not sure where you are but I am in aus and you have routine shots throughout your whole pregnancy I think there is 4 all up. I was never given my proper bloods with my first and after 10 weeks of bleeding and a trip back to my home town to stay with family my family dr asked me for my blood group which I didn't know he put an emergency on it and called me back in the next morning I was rushed off to hospital given the anti d jab and had my antibodies in my blood checked before I got the results the dr warned me that the baby will most likely either die by 12 weeks or die at birth because of how long I had been bleeding unless the baby was a negative also well baby survived and he was a positive they were very very shocked. When I got the bloods back she said baby is very strong it must be a negative but nope lol he proved her wrong sorry to go on lol. But yep if would ask for your antibodies to be checked if they haven't already and I don't know about anti d where you are but that is what happens here in aus I think it's 12 weeks 28 weeks 36 weeks and when baby is born. I have had a lot more than that as you are suppose to get one every time you bleed and I bled for the first 16 weeks with this one so had 4 in that time it was crazy. If you have the shots you should be fine and if antibody levels come back normal baby will be fine.

Thanks for telling me your story, I am in Thailand and they do 3 shots here and apparently none after a loss, I just hope my blood comes back clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->