I hate my employers so much

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by J.D., Oct 11, 2013.

1. J.D.

J.D. Well-Known Member

So towards the end of working, I was in a lot of pain. I requested a high chair so I could work and sit at the same time. It took them almost 6 weeks to get it, during which time my pelvic pain worsened significantly. I think I only had the chair for 3 days when my doctor signed me off.

I'm now wearing an uncomfortable girdle thing as much as I can stand it and am on crutches. I can't go anywhere because I don't have a car. I rely entirely on my wife now.

I got signed off for a week before my annual leave was due to start.

I just received a letter in the post saying that they're not paying me for it as it was more than 3 days and I'm to apply for illness benefit through the social welfare. Even if I get sick pay this way, it'll be about 1/3 of my normal weekly wage. I have been working for the company for 14 years now and I've been off for 2 weeks before (car accident/whiplash injury) and have never been asked to do this.

Between fertility treatment and preparing for the baby, we're completely broke, no savings or anything. I know there's nothing anyone can do, but I just needed to say it all to someone instead of sitting here at home bawling by myself. :cry:

I know we'll get through, but jeez. I hate them so much. The last 3 months of my maternity leave will be spent pounding the pavement for a new job.

2. pcct

pcct Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your sodding work!! My work place was exactly the same and. It payin me either... I too will be spending my last few months on leave looking for anther job! I will never forget how my wrk treated me throughout my pregnacy :(

It's so good just to be able to get it off your chest , I hope everything works out for you in the end :hugs: :hugs: sending you lots of hugs

3. bebbe

bebbe Well-Known Member

Oh J.D that is terrible :hugs:

Are you in the UK? I ask because the rules surrounding pregnancy related absence are very stringent here and its tough for an employer to simply not pay you with a sick note and annual leave available (I used to work in HR consultancy) but obviously it won't be much help if you are outside of the UK.

4. jellybeanxx

jellybeanxx NTNP #4

That's awful!! Is there an option for you to appeal their decision or take it higher?

5. Pearls18

Pearls18 Well-Known Member

Are you in the UK hun?

6. J.D.

J.D. Well-Known Member

I'm in Ireland. I think the laws are similar but it takes months to appeal anything. Everything is just so completely ineffectual. Even the bloody letter they sent, the mobile number listed for the contact is wrong and the email address came back with an out of office reply.

I thought I was done with work crap until April. On the upside, I have aggressively crocheted through half a baby hat in my rage. lol

7. Pearls18

Pearls18 Well-Known Member

Lol at aggressively crocheting, that's a good way of channelling pregnancy anger! I don't know anything about Ireland, sorry they are being crap you just don't expect it in this day in age :hugs:

8. bebbe

bebbe Well-Known Member

I've just had a look at workplacerelations.ie as it seemed like the closest thing to the UK's ACAS service (employment law advice service) but the website doesn't actually have a free helpline service like ours does but it does have a customer service phone number - I don't know if its the same thing though. Also it doesn't have much in the way of maternity leave legislation on there (I was going to see how it differs to ours).

Do you have an employers handbook and maternity policy for your place of work? A quick google does bring up a number of free employment law helplines in Ireland but I suppose its whether you have the energy to go into it all now with someone over the phone. I wish I could help more!

Funny you should be angry crocheting though, I did a lot of angry cross stitch a couple of weeks ago when I had some horrid news. They say craft's are therapeutic!!! :thumbup:

9. J.D.

J.D. Well-Known Member

Thanks. Now that I've had my rants, I'm going to wait until the HR person is back in the office on Monday and deal with this like a human instead of a blubbering wreck. lol

But if they do really try and screw me over, I'll take this as far as I need to. And OH reminded me we do have emergency savings. Hopefully we won't have to touch it. But it's there anyway. Techincally speaking, I could be telling them to stop the annual leave right now because I'm still sick and I could be taking it all as paid sick leave and keeping my annual leave until after my maternity leave. I didn't care until now, but now, man, they do not know how to foster goodwill.