I have a cold :-(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by girl friday, Aug 29, 2009.

1. girl friday

girl friday Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

After walking my dog in the park this morning I started sneezing - I ignored it and put it down to a final bout of hayfever. It hasn't gone away though! I'm now feeling crap - I'm cold, I've got a runny nose, I'm sneezing etc. All the symptoms that would normally have me reaching for the lemsip!

I know that all the usual cold remedies are out of bounds when pregnant, so what can I take?

Thank you in advance!

2. Bexbex999

Bexbex999 Mum to Elizabeth

Paracematol is fine. You can also use a nasal inhalor (the stick, not spray) and putting vicks rub in hot water and inhaling is good. If you have a cough you can have glycerin tablets (they taste awful though, like wax!) and there is a glycerin cough medicine.

Hope you feel better soon!

3. girl friday

Thank you! Think I'll dig the vicks out of the cupboard in a minute! Daft question, but is olbus oil on pillows, tissues etc ok?

4. Bexbex999

Yes ,thats fine

5. Sadie92

Sadie92 Wife,Mummy & TTC No2

im with you there Girl Friday... i woke this morning with a horrible cold..
    runny AND blocked nose... i know that doesnt make sense.... but thats what it is... and sneezing as well... oh and just to top it off... a blimin sore throat too!!!

:( feel so crap..

Ive been drinking plently of warm drinks and water. Will have to have paracetamol in a bit cos my head is pounding.

:(

feel for you.. hope you get well soon.

xxx

6. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

sorry to be such a pest but i also have a cold with a runny stuffy nose and sneezing constantly and a minor cough. I live in the states what can i take? im unsure of what paracetamol is

7. Bexbex999

Tink, I believe its branded as tylenol over there but please check first

8. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

O ok. thats what they always tell us to take over here. my doctor says thats really the only thing safe to take during pregnancy is Tylenol. How can i help a cough though. Drink hot fluids ??

9. Bexbex999

We have glycerin over here, if you cant get that warm water with sugar and lemon will help

10. Tink1o5

Tink1o5 Mom of 3

oo thanks so much. :) your a life saver. i thought there was absolutly nothing i could do about the minor cough :( lol

11. girl friday

I had an early night last night and slept in this morning. I'm still full of cold today though. I finally took some paracetamol today (and even then I double checked with sil to make sure I wasn't taking too much!)

It's sod's law! 7 1/2 weeks off work and I've been fine even though DH has had 2 colds! I go back to work on Tuesday, started with a cold yesterday and I'll be suffering for the first few days!

Hope you all start to feel better soon!

x