I have a cyst in my ovary..NEED ADVICE BADLY.

Piebear2901

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Here is my situation. I went off the pill at the end of September and have been trying hard to get pregnant. No luck so far and last week I was told I have a large cyst inside my right ovary and that it needs to be removed via laparoscopy. (its 4cm by 2cm) I found out today I can't have it removed until until January 21st.

They told me in the meantime stop trying to get pregnant. :sad2:
Is it really better that way? I won't be able to start trying again until end of February since that would be my next fertile period and enough time from the surgery for my body to have healed. But who knows how much longer after that it will take me to get pregnant assuming I don't lose that ovary. They won't know if its harmful or not until they look at it. I'm trying not to worry since I'm only 31 and chances of having ovarian cancer at my age are rare.

This breaks my heart so much. Last night I had a dream I had just had a beautiful baby girl and how happy I was being a mother and taking care of her. I saw her also as a 10 year old and we were all having fun as a family. I wanted to stay in that dream forever and never wake up.
It mad me so sad I've been crying off and on since because I just feel like it will never happen. :sadangel:

I started thinking I want to keep trying anyway but if I do get pregnant I'd hate to put my baby at risk or God forbid have a miscarriage due to the surgery. Any advice and what I should do?
I know you all know what it is like to want a baby so bad it hurts deep inside you and you feel so empty.

Thanks in advance everyone. =)

hun - i had 2 ovarian cysys removed and one burst before they removed it (ouch)

I am unaware if it poses risks of miscarrage or indeed getting pregnant - but i would heed the docs warning and try not till surgery to be safe as it would be awefull if something happened (sorry if that sounds horrid i do not mean it that way)

The removal was quite easy going tbh i was out of hospital the next day as i was operated on in the afternoon - i was quite unconfortable for a few days but nothing major.

perhaps a call to the docors would put your mind at ease

If i read correctly you have been trying for 3 months so i wound't worry just yet.

I do hope that you get some answers soon - i am sorry if i havent been much help.

Steph xxx

Please do not worry. Ovarian cysts are normally benign, I have had three in the past year, had one drained (similar size to yours) but normally they just leave them to go away. How long have you had the cyst? It could be a corpus luteum cyst or it could be an endometrioma (endometriosis cyst), these are the most common types of cyst. I have had both types. Honestly try not to worry. I know 21st Jan seems like a long time away but it's not really, although it does give you way too much time to get worked up about the laparoscopy (not that bad, again have had 2 in just over a year).

I know how difficult it is not to get worried that it's something sinister but honestly if the docs were really worried you would not be waiting til January. Taking a break from TTC is important because if you do get pregnant they would have to delay removing the cyst and there is a small risk it could get larger during pregnancy. Please try not to worry.

Are you getting another ultrasound before the lap? Is the cyst giving you pain? Do they have you on decent painkillers?

I had a cyst at the same time as my ectopic. I recovered (physically) from the surgery too. I would personally say it is better to wait and get sorted before TTC. I know that BD can make the cyst worse and if it bursts you could have permanent damage to your ovary.
I could cry with your words because I feel the same hurt and ache every day! I have to keep telling myself that it will happen to me...and it will happen to you too :hugs:

Thank you for all the wonderful advice everyone. It helped me a lot. =))

And yes my gut tells me to play it safe and wait until I get the cyst taken care of, even if it hurts to put off trying for a baby. And I value your opinions, my husbands and my doctors so that is what I will do.
And I trust my doctor, he's really a wonderful doctor that I've gone to for years.
I'm not scheduled for another ultrasound but I have to wonder if that would be a good idea to see if its gone before my surgery.

I have had an exploratory laparoscopy before so I know what to expect. Not looking forward to another one but at least I won't be as freaked. With that one I was laid up for 2 weeks and the pain was excruciating. I have Fibromyalgia too so I'm a lot more sensitive to pain than most people.
And of course I've never had a cyst removed so I can imagine having your ovary sliced open will be a tad more painful.

I have no idea how long I've had the cyst. I had a normal ultrasound in early November and they saw nothing but then I had a higher resolution ultrasound done in early December and they saw the cyst. So who knows.

And thanks for the comfort that its probably harmless. That was heavy on my mind for a little while. And as far as it not being serious since I can't get in until January I don't' know. I just know they are solidly booked until then so who knows. But yea I suppose it must not be life threatening. I did have a CBC and CA-125 blood work done though. Haven't heard those results yet.

And yes I do have some sharp pains off and on and no my doctor didn't give me anything but I was told if the pain gets worse or something new develops to call them and they will help me out.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that wants a baby as bad as me. Sometimes I feel like a freak for wanting one so badly I cry from having a dream about it.

I hope in the end we all get those babies that we want so badly. =)

Thanks again guys, you're wonderful! *hugs*

Hi I know your question has pretty much been answered but just wanted to add my bit too (just can't read and run)

I've had 3 cysts all measuring 6-7cm one burst and they thought they'd have to remove my ovary (which they didn't phew) all of them were benign and unfortunately i was told now i've grown 1 i'll probably grow more.

It doesn't mean they all have to be operated on you've probably grown them before but they dispersed before they became a problem to you, thats what I was told I was growing them quite frequently too, i had one removed and 3 weeks later grew another again at 7cm!!

Is this your first baby as i was also told that concieving would stop me from growing them so frequently, something to do with hormone changes. Now that you have one though i would listen to your Dr and as painful as it is wait till it's safe. My friend concieved whilst with an ovarian cyst (she didn't know it was there) and they had to monitor her throughout pregnancy incase it burst. You don't want that!

Good luck for your op and for concieving as soo as you can!! x x x

Hi

please dont worry. I was in exactly th same boat as you a couple of weeks ago. I found out i had a cyst a couple of years ago but ended up not doing anthing about it.

2 months ago i found out i was pregnant and got scanned again for the cyst as well. They had to monitor me as I have a v high cancer rate in my family.

Unfortunately I lost the baby but then had to decide to remove the cyst. They actually grow bigger when you are pregnant. Mine grew 1 cm from the time I had it 2 years ago.

I decided to have the cyst removed as we want to start trying again. They did blood tests to see if the cyst was cancerous. These came back ok but they obviously dont know until they take it out and test it.

I had my op last week. I as so worried that I would wake up and they had taken my ovaries in case there was a problem. It was all ok and I am now recouperating now. In lots of pain and the sickness changes from day to day.

Just be positive and it will work out for you.

I agree with the ladies here. I got pregnant this summer and had a 7 cm cyst on my right ovary. I mmc. So while the cyst went down on its own over 4 months to 2.2 cm now... I still lost my baby. They can't say for sure it was my cyst or a fetal problem, but needless to say I am taking no more chances.

Feb really isn't that far away. And with the cyst gone, you will have a better chance to concieve.

Good luck hun! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"