i have a question regarding ultrasounds, please read

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
As you know, I had a 4D scan today- seeing as it was private and was classed as entertainment purposes, even if there was the slightest problem, I wouldnt have been informed because apparently they're not allowed to tell ya, which I find absolutely stupid.
Anyway, the tech checked baby's blood flow and all these weird blue and red lines kept coming up in places, I then noticed a blue line which appeared to be in my uterus (I wish I could post a picture) It wasnt a continuous line which ran from baby and below, it just seemed to be stuck in my womb, below baby (but not directly below), This is going to sound do utterly ridiculous, but are you supose to have blood flow round about there? Im worried that I've got some sort of weird bleed, I mean SURELY this dr would have told me to visit my own GP if I had any indication that I was bleeding at all.
They do blood flow checks at the detailed scan, so I'd really appreciate it if someone who has had a detailed scan, could clue me in on this as Im kinda concerned because I dont know what all these weird colours are.

Cheers girls x

are you sure that wasnt the placenta? when i went for my growth scan i seen the exact same and i just assumed it was the placenta, although i didnt have a 4d scan it was just a normal scan only i could see the red and blue lines ;) im sure everything is fine hun
xxxxxx

hun try not to worry, im sure if there was anything wrong they would tell you, and if they saw a bleed etc they would def tell you about it.
Not sure about the blood flow you mentioned but maybe its the placenta?

are you sure that wasnt the placenta? when i went for my growth scan i seen the exact same and i just assumed it was the placenta, although i didnt have a 4d scan it was just a normal scan only i could see the red and blue lines ;) im sure everything is fine hun
xxxxxx
The placenta is above the baby isn't it? and not below?
Was the lines you saw blue too? It kinda scared me a little actually because I kept convincing myself it was some sort of weird bleed, but in saying that, would it actually pick up a bleed? doesnt it only eliminate the arteries etc:?
PS: It was on the 2d scan that I saw these blue lines below baby- I had both 4D and a normal one.

they were blue and red but it was like flashing cos of the baby was moving around so much it wasnt just a constant thing if that makes sence:blush: as steph said im sure if their was a problem they would have told you or they would have asked you to make an appointment with your gp or something dont worry hun im sure its fine
xxxxxx

teh placenta is all round the baby hun, its wot the baby lives in in ur tum :D, never had a 4d scan myself but im guessing if there was a prob they wud of sed :hugs:

Even though they are for entertainment reasons only I am sure that if there were any concerns whatsoever then they would have advised you to see your GP. Surely it would be unethical, not to mention negligent for them not to do so.

When I went for my 4d scan I signed something at the start that among other things said that if there were any problems they would recommend that you see your consultant. These people are fully trained and qualified sonographers, in fact the last one who scanned me at hospital also does part-time at a 4d place. They know what they are looking at and for and if there was anything wrong they'd recommend that you saw someone straight away. It would be highly unethical if they didn't.

I think you're worrying unnecessarily as there is all sorts of weird stuff swimming about in there that you can see on scans. Could be the chord or the membrane or anything.

What a shame you weren't able to enjoy such a special event. :hugs:

Louise Please don't worry!

The reason a colour flow imaging is used is to get an overall view of blood flow in any targeted region - So blood would have been seen flowing wherever the Sonographer was directing the doppler.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The colour of the lines is based on direction (for example, red for Doppler shifts towards the ultrasound beam and blue for shifts away from it) and magnitude (different color hues or lighter saturation for higher frequency shifts) so the fact that you saw a blue line is not representative of a problem.[/FONT]

Hope this helps a little

Louise Please don't worry!

The reason a colour flow imaging is used is to get an overall view of blood flow in any targeted region - So blood would have been seen flowing wherever the Sonographer was directing the doppler.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The colour of the lines is based on direction (for example, red for Doppler shifts towards the ultrasound beam and blue for shifts away from it) and magnitude (different color hues or lighter saturation for higher frequency shifts) so the fact that you saw a blue line is not representative of a problem.[/FONT]

Hope this helps a little

Beat me to it, but rachie is right it is just a doppler view of your blood flow - the different colours indicates oxygenated and non oxygenated blood and flow, so what you probably saw was a vein/artery - i really wouldnt worry.

I must admit i don't like these scans very much, they are very expensive for what they are, and they seem to make people worry more by what they see or 'think' they see.

You should have to take your notes with you and sign something to say that if they find anything they have permission to contact your GP....so all must be well hun! Stop worrying! :hugs:x

Hi I'm going to having a 4d scan with Babybond and it quite clearly states in their website that should there be any concerns they will contact your health professional :)

They can't diagnose medical stuff because they aren't trained that way, and also for liability reasons.
That said, I know that many women, if there *was* a problem at an elective 4D, were told to visit their doctor. Your tech didn't say anything along those lines, I'm sure it's fine!

What you saw was blood flow - a bleed wouldn't be blue, I don't think - you may have caught a glimpse of the umbilical cord even :)

You can always ask your doctor for peace of mind. But I wouldn't trust a techs opinion at an elective U/S place even if they gave it to me!

When I went for my gender scan the tech did some of it as thermal imaging, where cooler areas were blue and warmer areas were red. Could it have been that? She was looking for boy genitals for me and used that as an extra technique. (she obviously didn't find them but bless her - she tried!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"