I have to have my baby shower early, feeling awkward about it.

wavescrash

Mom to 3 girls.
Reaction score
I was originally planning to have my baby shower in March since I'm due in May. I figured that'd be far enough along and give me time to get whatever last minute things I needed or that I didn't get at the shower.

We're having it in the conference room of the hotel my Mom works at due to convenience and costs (she gets a great discount) but we found out today that they're going to be under renovation several months next year which means I'll have to have the shower at the end of January. I know it's not a huge deal but I feel awkward about it. I'll be 25-26 weeks along.

I guess my biggest reason is because a friend/co-worker of mine keeps telling me I'm trying to rush it. I wanted to get my crib set up early on just because we're sharing a room with the baby and I wanted it up to get used to how I'm rearranging our room, use it to store the various baby things I acquire, etc. I still don't have it set up and I'm ok with that but when I mentioned wanting it, she whined that I was rushing things. I found out when my ultrasound is (Dec 15th, I'll be 19 weeks along) and I told her about it and she whined again that I'm rushing things. I'm not sure how since that's a very appropriate time to get that ultrasound and my doctor told me to schedule it but still. I'm just worried about people reacting negatively to me having it so early.

Anyone else have it early (or planning to have it early)? I just want to make sure I'm not alone here hahaha. This leaves me 10 weeks to book and plan it. That's not too bad of a time frame but Christmas is right in the mix. I don't know. I'm probably just crazy and over-thinking haha.

Don't listen to what people are saying because they clearly don't know the reasons behind what you want/have to do. If you want to cut costs then I say you go ahead and enjoy your shower in January! And if you want to put up your crib, then it's your decision! I say do it! :)

Im having mine next sunday! Ill be 25 weeks :) im doing it only because the weather around here gets horrible from december until march when im due, so i want to avoid having friends and family drive in the trecherous snow which is so dangerous.. No one seems to mind!

I would think more about what you want and not what your friend thinks...However, on a personal opinion, I would wait and hold it at a different location if the renovations aren't done yet. It does seem early and while I don't think that in and of itself is a bad thing, I am constantly paranoid about the "what if something goes wrong" thing...

Just a thought though. We are having ours 2 months before Bun is due and I thought that was early :haha:

Just do what works for you :thumbup:

Don't listen to what people are saying because they clearly don't know the reasons behind what you want/have to do. If you want to cut costs then I say you go ahead and enjoy your shower in January! And if you want to put up your crib, then it's your decision! I say do it! :)

Haha thanks :)

Im having mine next sunday! Ill be 25 weeks :) im doing it only because the weather around here gets horrible from december until march when im due, so i want to avoid having friends and family drive in the trecherous snow which is so dangerous.. No one seems to mind!

I'm in Ohio and January can be pretty bad for us weather-wise but any later and I'm running out of time or the baby will be here and for finance reasons, I'm heavily relying on my shower to supplies and such. Thanks! Glad I'm not the only one :)

I would think more about what you want and not what your friend thinks...However, on a personal opinion, I would wait and hold it at a different location if the renovations aren't done yet. It does seem early and while I don't think that in and of itself is a bad thing, I am constantly paranoid about the "what if something goes wrong" thing...

Just a thought though. We are having ours 2 months before Bun is due and I thought that was early :haha:

Just do what works for you :thumbup:

Thanks dear. We're just doing it there for size, cost and convenience. My Mom gets a real cheap discount. The one we had for my daughter was at a party room where my stepdad's parents live and even with their discount it was still costly :/ We definitely can't have it at our house or any immediate relatives houses, nobody has the space or parking. Oh well... I'm not too worried about anything going wrong. I figure that if it does, the baby will already be here by the time I find out and there's not much I can do either way at that point.

That's not early. I'm having one at 25 weeks too.

I'm having mine at 26 weeks. My husband is in the military and we live 15 hours from home. And were going home for Christmas so I figured why not just have it then! Cause I can't afford to go home again before the baby is home!

I am actually having two baby showers:). I have a small fitness studio and the ladies wanted go give me a shower before Christmas because my mil is giving me one mid of January. So I will be 27 weeks ( almost 28) when I get my first after thanksgiving week. Don't listen to your friend, do what is right for you. People and there unwanted opinions :growlmad:!!

I have mine in march too! Im just glad i live in a place where snow comes every 10 years lol :winkwink:. May have it in either January or febuary which not that far away if you think about it!

I think it is actually quite considerate of you to do it early so that your mom can have a cheaper costs. To be honest, while showers are for the pregnant mom, the hostess really has alot of say in dates and venue because it is a "gift" (in my opinion) to hold one for a pregnant lady. I had to host my sister's AFTER the baby was born because I only got one trip to go down and visit her that year, and so obviously wanted to see her baby. She was disappointed but unless someone else was willing to host, and no one stepped up to the plate, she had to accept that.

I think it is actually quite considerate of you to do it early so that your mom can have a cheaper costs. To be honest, while showers are for the pregnant mom, the hostess really has alot of say in dates and venue because it is a "gift" (in my opinion) to hold one for a pregnant lady. I had to host my sister's AFTER the baby was born because I only got one trip to go down and visit her that year, and so obviously wanted to see her baby. She was disappointed but unless someone else was willing to host, and no one stepped up to the plate, she had to accept that.

Aw well thanks :) She just gets such a discount going through her work that it's not really convenient to hold it elsewhere. I mean, it is what it is and I'm grateful to have one at all. If nobody likes that it's so "early" then they don't have to attend. Oh well :)

It's your shower and it's not like you're in the first trimester! I'm probably having my side of the family's shower in December since many family is out of state and are coming for Christmas and it seems inappropriate to have them drive a month later in icy weather for a shower. My mom is holding it so it's really her call but that's her idea to have it after the extended family Christmas party (held the weekend before Christmas). I'll be just entering 3rd tri then. I'm not sure when my MIL is doing the shower for their side. We live 2 hrs away from family so it's really just when convenient for everyone! Don't let your miserable coworker ruin your fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->