I have twins, but don't want another set!

Twinners

Reaction score
My twins are almost 3 and my husband and I would love to have ONE more. The twins are fraternal and we conceived them naturally after only trying for one month, so I have a feeling I am super-fertile. I'm also tall and twins run in my family (both of these traits increase chances of conceiving twins). Does anyone know if there are ways to 'prevent' having twins or releasing 2 eggs at once? Are there any tests? Thanks for any advice!

Sounds like you have higher chance but I think 2 sets of twins is still unusual

I had no idea being tall increased your chances of conceiving twins!

My MIL had a set of twins, then a singleton (but they suspect she miscarried a twin early) and then another set of twins. Some women might release more than one egg every month or something.

I don't think you can do much about it unfortunately but I would say there are more women who only have one set of twins and having lots is quite unusual so you just have to take your chances.

(ps. my MIL is actually pretty short :))

Edited by moderator

While BabyandBump tries to remain pro-choice on most subjects, out of respect for majority of our members that are either trying to conceive, or pregnant, we ask that you do not discuss topics on abortion and terminations outside of the 'Ethical Prenatal Losses' forum.

You actually don't have any higher chance if twins appear to "run in your family". That theory has been disproved many times. It is statistically nearly impossible to end up with two sets of twins no matter what your genetics appear to be like. Heck, it's statistically unlikely to end up with one set of twins in the first place TTC naturally. There also aren't any ways that I know of to prevent more than one egg from being released. Really the only options you have are TTC anyway and hoping that you only get one baby in there, doing IVF (which is expensive, invasive, and not worth it at all when the risk of having another set of twins naturally is so drastically low anyway), or adopting a child.

And as far as I know height has nothing to do with your chance to conceive twins either. Twins "run" on both sides of my family too and we ladies are all short. So are most of the women that I've known to have twins. :haha:

If you really, really don't want twins guess you could get an ultrasound each month you try to see how many mature follicles you have. If there are two then you just wouldn't try that month. That is what couples who are on fertility drugs do when they absolutely don't want twins. I just have never known of anyone who did it who did not have fertility issues but I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it.

That would be a real PITA though.

I've never thought about test and things before tbh! I wouldn't really have thought there was anything you could do. Though I'm pretty sure the pp is mistaken. The chances of you having another set of fraternal twins will actually have increased now that you've already had them and many women are more likely to release more than one egg because of their genetics so they definitely can run in families.

I'm not sure that height actually makes any sort of difference though? Lol.

Twins aren't that uncommon, they account for far greater than 1% of pregnancies in the UK, and not identical twins do have a maternal genetic link. Having already had non-identical twins does increase the chance about four-fold of another set. I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent the chance of a further multiple pregnancy, although the odds are that it would be a singleton pregnancy anyway.

I never knew you could release two eggs in one month.

Your chances are definitely higher but I'm not sure there's anything you can do about it!

If you visit your OB during your O they can see on the ultrasound how many eggs are 'waiting' in your uterus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"