I know it's random , but......

Ele3085

Reaction score
What insurance is best to cover baby related expenses . I've never needed it until now , so I'm not sure which one to get or consider . Any other advice would be greatly appreciated , as this is my first baby and I want to do this right.

Thank you : )

Where are you located? US? There are so many different plans and payment factors that it’s hard to just pick one over the other. Some hospitals only take certain plans. For instance the hospital I delivered my daughter no longer takes my insurance so I have to go elsewhere. My insurance covers everything but delivery and that I can pay with with my HSA account that we pay into/my husbands employer pays. You can look up different plans on the marketplace to find something you can afford.

Yes , I live near Atlanta. I've never been a fan of hospitals(they make me nervous and uneasy) and plan to do an at home waterbirth , but finding insurance that will cover all the pregnancy costs is impossible . I don't get any benefits through work unfortunately

BEST insurance? medicaid. hands down. Covered everything 100% and I never even saw a bill. If you don't qualify, you'll have to shop around. Income and how much you can afford per month will have to determine what will be the "best" insurance for you.

I have avmed. They cover all expenses except for the initial visit, which I think has a $75 co-pay. I have it through work, so I'm not sure how much per month it costs. But I only got it half way though my last pregnancy. I had a home birth. In total, I think I was set to pay about $1000 in all. Home births tend to be cheeper than hospital births.

I know this is so totally not helpful but I just can't believe that you have to pay to have a baby in the US. Thank goodness for the NHS!

I know this is so totally not helpful but I just can't believe that you have to pay to have a baby in the US. Thank goodness for the NHS!

I was just going to say this. I don't think I would be on my 3rd if we had to pay!!

If you're in the US and qualify for medicaid, don't hesitate! With my three pregnancies I had Blue Cross Blue Shield, and even though it's solid coverage, I still owed a couple grand after each kiddo. I had vaginal deliveries with all of them, too, so I can only imagine the expense if I ended up needing a cesarean.

Medicaid doesn't cover homebirths however.

Im not American, bit since I'm in a lot of Homebirthing groups with American women I have learned that much. And also that few insurance companies cover homebirths.

I would suggest contacting the midwives in your area and asking them what insurance companies their clients have used that conteibuted to their fees. Then toucan compare from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->