I know my right re induction, just need a pep talk, feeling hormonal!

GeorgeyGal

Reaction score
I have planned a hypno home water birth which my midwife supports fully, but I went for my 40 week appointment yesterday, had a scan as there's one in the room luckily just for fun and babys perfect. She mentioned having a sweep but I said Id rather wait. Then she says, Ill just call the hospital now and book you in for an induction, she didnt even ask me....no one answered the phone though thankfully, I mean induction for when...I was speachless, she could have booked me in but I would not have turned up! I think its a shame women are made to feel anxious about going over their 'due/guess' date, all this anxiety could halt the onset of labour, very counterproductive! I am more than happy to wait 42 weeks, she has been a midwife for 35 years so maybe she is used to this protocall, she said Ill be fed up my next week and would want some intervention! Nooooooo I dont at all! I just need to hear it from someone else, as long as bubs and placenta is healthy I can refuse right? x

Absolutely you can refuse!! And unless there is something wrong, really wrong, you should refuse!! Once you hit 10 days past your due date, it might time to start considering an induction, and at two weeks, you will probably need to go ahead and be induced, but until then, wait until that baby is ready!!!

The beginning of labor is an incredible thing and your body and the baby must both be ready. It's a highly coordinated event between uterus, baby, cervix and they must all be ripe and ready. A friend of mine was scheduled for induction 2 days after her due date - ridiculous! Induction increases the need/chance of having all sorts of other interventions and often ends in c-section. Is this your first baby? First babies are typically "late" but I agree with you that it's more of a guess date than a due date.

Hang in there!! Soon you'll have little bubs in your arms! :cloud9:

Yep he's my first baby. Exactly! I know 95% of bubs are born after the EDD and only 5% after 42 weeks so I shouldnt worry but I am because of the general attitude that after 40 weeks you are late and need to think about hurrying things along. Oh I definately will be waiting until 42 weeks until Ill consider induction or if there's a medical neccesity to of course. If I get to 41 weeks I may look into reflexology or accupunture. Thanks, Im feeling much better now x

Staggered they would pick up the phone to make an appointment for an induction, and not ask you if you want one!!? Madness! So pleased that noone answered!

42 weeks is term! So over your EDD, and you are not over due! Over 42 weeks, and you are over term.. This is part of the major problem in our increasing c-section rates!!! Even the government recogises that!

Don't be bullied.. and certainly don't have any medical procedures unless there is a clinical need - not just policy of 10 days over EDD = induction. It does NOT. NICE guidelines also state about expectant management (wait and see, labour is all about waiting and seeing!) Don't allow them to force you into anything, and if they continue, you shold say that you will consider it as harrasment.

You are fine to go over EDD! More than fine, it is the healthy thing to do! It isn't so healthy to have an induction on the basis of routnue policy and not NEED.
XxX

Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth? Lots of info in it about going to 42 weeks. 37-42 weeks is term, post-42 weeks is truly "overdue". There is no magical switch at 39 weeks and 6 days - many people, shockingly also health professionals, forget this! Good luck!

Yep Ive read Ina May and Marie Mongan and if someone else was posting the same I would be giving them the same pep talk as you guys are giving me, it just shook me the way my midwife automatically picked up the phone, i didnt expect to hear the word induction until week 41 at least. (Even if I was booked it I wouldnt show for it), it just shook me the way I wasnt even asked what I wanted.... if she had got hold of someone I would have kicked off then. Why is it so difficult to grasp that I am happy to wait! argh!

:grr: Stay strong! Your choice, not theirs. Be prepared next appointment (if it comes) to say NO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->