I need a creative excuse? - help!!

BabyDancer34

Preggers with #2!!!
Reaction score
Well here's the deal. I've been fairly into running for about the last couple of years. Prior to getting pg I hadn't done much running for about a month and once found out I was pg didn't want to (worried about beany - I know silly!) and also been very tired. So the problem is, several months ago I signed up to do and 8K with a good friend of mine. It's at the end of Sept and I won't have had my 12 week scan by then (we're not telling people).
What do I tell her? I won't be doing the run but feel terrible as she'll be on her own and I don't want to just come up with some rubbish excuse as she'll be upset. I discussed with hubby if we should tell her but seen as we won't have told any family yet we're not sure about doing that. I'm going to need to tell her soon as she wants to ramp up the practise runs before then (only 4 weeks to go!).
HELP!!!

Thanks for reading any thoughts appreciated...

I told my best friend before telling any family. It was nice to have someone to talk to in the early days. Would it really be so bad to tell her in confidence?

eep, that is a toughy - if it was just the race, I'd say it would be a good moment for hubby to announce he plans to whisk you away somewhere romantic ("oh no, he didn't know better")... but sounds like you will need a medical reason of some sort...

Edit: yep, or 'fess up... depends how close you are to the friend, etc :)

I would just tell her the truth and ask her to keep quiet about it.

I would say that you are just not able to do it , you have not been feeling so great lately and are too tired to really give it your all to practice. chances are she will just guess, you dont have to confirm or deny.

Yeah I'm thinking tell her the truth as otherwise she'll feel a bit upset when she finds out. Also she is a close'ish friend so if something bad does happen I would kind of want her to know anyway. Just have to convince DH now.........otherwise I'll have to make an excuse on the day which would be fine BUT what about the practise runs for next 3-4 weeks? MMMmmm???

shin splints!!!

you have shin splints and cant run...simple as! :)

I hated having to lie, but like you i realized one reason not to tell is so you don't have to deal with telling people if something goes wrong, well if something did I was going to need some of those people anyway so I told those who I had that kind of relationship with earlier on.

otherwise tendonist is a good one. Its not debilitating so you don't have to be on crutches or limp around like fool but you have to rest the afflicted tendon or it keeps getting worse...had it in my ankle in Jan. Used advil/ice and was off jogging for 3weeks.

a small hairline fracture in your foot. Very painful when you run but fine for walking etc...heals by itself and can be developed early on after you went over on your foot...

Otherwise tell her the truth..if she's a good friend she'll keep it quiet
xx

I would tell her (unless she can't keep quiet, I have a friend like that ;) ). Like the babydancer34 said, if something does go wrong, I would want to have a friend I could talk with about it. I do understand about not telling family though . . . they spread baby news like wild fire! We told most of our close friends before family because they had no one else to tell if they wanted to :) . . .

hiya
you could jog/fast walk it. there will be no harm in that x

Thanks Ladies for all your suggestions - some really good ones here! I'm still keen to tell her the truth, I have to convince OH though. Also feel bad about putting her in an awkward position as she's part of a bigger group of friends and her OH is very good mates with my DH. I think that's why he has an issue because he thinks she will tell her OH. I could ask her to keep it to herself - I do trust her and feel that if I ask her to she would keep it to herself.

I would imagine she would definitely tell her OH...what girl wouldn't really?? Mainly because she will be excited for you...really you have to make a judgement call or your OH has to tell his mate too.

Good luck!

Well I told her the truth last night and her OH - they were thrilled! So glad we went with the truth option. Only two weeks until our scan now so soon we can tell the world (hopefully!!).
Thanks for your suggestions ladies!!

Awww, that's good to hear hunni. I hope those 2 weeks fly by for ya'

Running is actually not suggested in pregnancy, so you are definitely right to try to back out. You could tell her that you've recently been told by your doctor that you have weak ankles or a weak knee and it's been hurting a lot lately. Then later on you can explain to her that you knew you were pregnant but weren't ready to share the news yet. A good friend would be understanding. The sooner you figure out a good way to back out, the longer she has to find someone else to go with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->