I need advice re: weight gain. Do I need to diet?

gk1701

Reaction score
I have gained 10 lbs. I'm 9 weeks pregnant. Is that normal? I just read online that you are not supposed to gain anything much during your first trimester because the baby is so tiny. When I got pregnant I was 131 lbs which was heavy for me. Now I'm 141!!! I look huge. What should I do?

I've been eating a lot of crackers, cereal, and granola because it helps with my nausea. Based on this I'll be abnormally huge at 9 months.

You shouldn't diet as such, but when you are feeling better and able to reassess your eating habbits you should replace some of the carbs with fruit, veg and protein. Also when your energy returns you will probably become more active again and your weight will naturally stablise.
I don't know about you but I feel completely hung over all day, every day and the way I deal with a hangover is carbs and sitting on my sofa with a duvet, but have big plans for 2nd tri!
I too have gained "too much" for first tri and the above is what I tell myself every morning. When I feel better I'm going to....!!

I myself have gained 8 pounds and i'm just 10 weeks and getting seriously stressed out about it convincing myself I will be a cow by the end of it. Having siad that, i still wouldnt put myself on a diet - I'm just going to tray and watch what I eat.

hey ladies...just wanted to write a quick post on this as weight gain is something I am a little sensitive about during pregnancy, lol. Anyway, i am overweight to begin with (a UK size 16) and have been told I should gain NO weight thorugh my pregnancy, quite a task I am sure you'll agree. At first I was really stressed and angry about this but I have come to realise, as long as me and my baby are healthy I don't care what I have to lose when she is born.
So far, I have gained no weight (31 weeks preggo) and baby is growing just fine, however, I have not dieted or exercised a lot...it's just my body using my excess weight in a different way. All of the guidelines say to eat healthily NOT to diet as you will only end up depriving your body of the things it needs (and wants). I have read a lot about weight gain and in an average woman you can put on between 26 and 40 lbs...just think about all the water, extra fluids, tissues etc and not to mention water retention, bloating and constipation...so...you're right on track. Just concentrate on taking care of you and your baby, eat what doesn't make you nauseous, and when you do feel better, don't stress too much, enojy being pregnant. And, surely it doesn't matter which trimester you put weight on, personally, I would rather have it thorughout the pregnancy at a steady rathe than BOOM, wake up one morning and I have piled on a ton all at once :)

I am going to be dieting well watching everything I eat and counting carbs and cals but I am at high risk for Gestational diabetes as Ive had it in a previous pregnancy plus I gained over 70lbs in my first pregnancy so I know better now! its ok to watch what you eat and try to eat healthy not necessarily diet but keeping up with your carbs and cals will pay off in the end as I did that with my second son and only had 13lbs to lose 2 weeks after having him he was born at 8lbs 14oz so in no way did me watching what I ate and counting cals effect him other than he probably would have been bigger if I had just ate whatever I wanted :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->