i need advise on expressing!!!

also another question lol when i give birth can i take my pump to hospital? will i be able to pump as soon as i have baby or will i have to give formular until it comes thru? xx

You wont be able to pump any milk out when you are in hospital as your milk doesnt come in until about 3 or 4 days after giving birth, colostrum is too thick and doesnt come out enough to be pumped

Mine came out with the pump at hospital x

:thumbup:Gosh, thanks for this thread. I've been really worried about this, as DH and I feel "we" should breast feed, but I'm so nervous not being able to do it right, not having enough milk, not being able to take a break for the first couple of months and let DH feed the baby etc etc etc...this this seems like a perfect solution.:thumbup:

well ive been told hospitals sre stopping giving formular so im going to buy the little glass jars with sterile teats like they gave me with my son, but i think if i want to give expressing a good go i may have to breast feed for the 1st few days while in hospital my milk came thru about 3days after i gave birth to my son and there was loads lol it dried up pretty quickly tho so wasnt to bad so im hoping get a good supply again, il buy the glass bottle formular just incase i really dont like baby being on my boob xxx

also another question lol when i give birth can i take my pump to hospital? will i be able to pump as soon as i have baby or will i have to give formular until it comes thru? xx

You wont be able to pump any milk out when you are in hospital as your milk doesnt come in until about 3 or 4 days after giving birth, colostrum is too thick and doesnt come out enough to be pumped

Mine came out with the pump at hospital x

really? wow! i felt like the pump was going to pull my nipple off trying to get anything out! ouch!

hahaha that made me laugh maybe its just easier for some people xx

:thumbup:Gosh, thanks for this thread. I've been really worried about this, as DH and I feel "we" should breast feed, but I'm so nervous not being able to do it right, not having enough milk, not being able to take a break for the first couple of months and let DH feed the baby etc etc etc...this this seems like a perfect solution.:thumbup:

Well I wouldn't say it's a perfect solution to your issues. BFing can be hard at the start but gets easier after the first month or so and then is just so brilliantly easy. The OP knows she doesn't want to BF for various reasons so wants to express so people are giving her advice on that. If you are happy to try BFing I would give it a go. You are more likely to have a problem with milk supply by expressing rather than feeding directly from boob. If you want to let DH feed sometimes you could do a bit of pumping too (I used to do that and my OH would always feed the expressed milk). Ok not being able to do it right can be a problem! It's a skill mum and baby need to learn. Some people get it immediately, but that's rare. You could go to a BFing class (you're in the states yes?), see a lactation counsellor after the baby comes, watch You Tube vids on how to latch. Just try to relax and practice makes perfect.

Apologies to OP for hijacking here for a minute.

its fine by me im just glad we have ladies to ask these questions to and u have all been so nice and not made me feel silly at all! i feel so much better about the choices ive made now so thanks to everyone xx

The day I had my daughter they had me trying to breastfeed but it wasn't working well, so I started pumping and got colostrum, and my milk came in the 2nd day in the hospital. So I wouldn't make a decision quite yet set in stone, just take some formula with you just in case you need it and try pumping or breastfeeding the first couple of days if you would like :)

Hi

I'm glad you feel reassured about your decision, you should do what's right for you. x

I pumped as my ds has problems feeding and i pumped colustrum and the milk came in about 2 days later. Once he was better we bf and fed expressed milk in a bottle.

My sil combined feb and pumped for most feeds but from day 1 fed two feeds of formula, she didn't top up the emb feeds with formula just fed what she pumped. She did this for about 8 months with no problems.

good luck with whatever you decide :)

x

I mix fed for a while but from my breast and formula from bottle. It didnt really work as we couldn't get into a good routine and she prefered the bottle so I exclusively FF after the first week. I don't know anyone that's got on well with mix feeding tbh Hun, even by expressing. Just give it a go and see how you get on but be prepared for it not to work out x

i no if it dosnt work out then its fine i would like her to have my milk for atleast 2weeks! ive spoken to OH and weve decided to breastfeed in hospital and start expressing when my milk comes thru properly if i have enough milk to keep her going then i will just feed her my milk if not il try formular and breast milk if that dosnt work we will just use formular. i have no problem with the stuff my son is a perfectly healthy formular fed child and he was a happy baby. so i will just see how it all goes xx

im going to try and bf this time too. Hopefully I can get on with it this time, being second baby im hoping it will be easier because im used to having a baby. X

im going to try and bf this time too. Hopefully I can get on with it this time, being second baby im hoping it will be easier because im used to having a baby. X

I'd like to do this too but with LO still being so young think it will be really hard. Will see what happens though x

breastfeeding/expressing is just one of those things i think until you have baby you wont no what to expect.. im just trying to stay as open minded about it all as possible x

I've been looking at the bf forum tonight tho and its kind of put me off. T slept through from 7 weeks but I see that lots of peoples 12+ month olds aren't sleeping through still. Not sure how that would work considering DD never gives me a break.

yea this is one of the reasons i wanted to use formular aswell so i could give her it on a night to help her sleep thru as like ur little girl my jack was sleeping thru by 6-7weeks! i no this maybe selfish reasons but i think both my kids would be much happier if i wasnt a zombie for 12+ months!! x

That's a good idea. I guess it couldn't be that difficult to get into a routine of bf in the day and bottle at night to top up. If they've never had breast at night I guess they wouldn't expect it. Yeah I agree im trying to make things as normal as poss for tiffany I would hate for her to feel resentful of baby if im really stressed tired etc, we have to do what's best by both kids now! X

this is my main worrie aswell im hoping baby just slips in to daily routine! and jacks ok with it all. but again this is one of those things we wont no about until baby arrives all we can do is try our best to involve our kids with the new babies and try keep everything as normal as possible xx

hey hunny your comment really opened my eyes, confused me a little because Ive seen on the tv a lot of mothers put baby straight to the breast immediately after the birth to help the bonding and the latching on process and i diddnt know that there wasnt really a lot of milk at the beginning. I learn something new every day on this forum, its defo a learning curve so i then read about the colostrum cos again i diddnt know what that was either lol :shrug:

Im hoping i will learn all this in my anti natal classes, but i will prob learn more on here:flower:

the article below reads>>>>>

Although it may seem that there is little or no milk in your breasts, your baby is getting colostrum: thick, yellowish "supermilk" that delivers concentrated germ-protecting factors and also has a laxative effect, helping baby clear the meconium from her system.

Infant sucking is also good for mothers immediately after birth. Stimulating the nipples triggers the release of oxytocin, which makes the uterus contract. This helps control postpartum bleeding and hastens the return of the uterus to its pre-pregnant size. Breastfeeding frequently in the first hours and days after birth will also help your milk "come in" sooner.

hey hunny your comment really opened my eyes, confused me a little because Ive seen on the tv a lot of mothers put baby straight to the breast immediately after the birth to help the bonding and the latching on process and i didnt know that there wasnt really a lot of milk at the beginning. I learn something new every day on this forum, its defo a learning curve so i then read about the colostrum cos again i diddnt know what that was either lol :shrug:

Im hoping i will learn all this in my anti natal classes, but i will prob learn more on here:flower:

the article below reads>>>>>

Although it may seem that there is little or no milk in your breasts, your baby is getting colostrum: thick, yellowish "supermilk" that delivers concentrated germ-protecting factors and also has a laxative effect, helping baby clear the meconium from her system.

Infant sucking is also good for mothers immediately after birth. Stimulating the nipples triggers the release of oxytocin, which makes the uterus contract. This helps control postpartum bleeding and hastens the return of the uterus to its pre-pregnant size. Breastfeeding frequently in the first hours and days after birth will also help your milk "come in" sooner.
thanks for that hun its all very confusing this is my 2nd baby but this is the first time with anything to do with breastfeeding, this is why i started this thread cos i had so many questions that i needed answering and i believe mums are the best for advise, i am going to express exclusivly this is what i want to do but i have now decided that i am going to breastfeed my baby in hospital until my milk come thru properly to express xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->