I need breastfeeding advice please!!!

alio

Reaction score
Ok ladies.

My son is a week old now. I have been offering him the breast since day one. He takes both and always has done. The problem is I have been topping up with formula. At the moment, he drains both boobs and then still has 90 ml formula every feed!! As soon as I stop with the boobs he screams and roots and the cupboard is bare (hence the formula)...... I can't cope with him showing me he's hungry when I don't have anything to offer him.....

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

It is his being hungry that is going to tell your body to produce more milk. I know it is frustrating for you both at first, but let nurse as much as possible. I used to switch Bren from side to side to side, and before long I had lots more milk for him.

Here we are again!! Me and you and the parallel universe!!!

So as you know I was doing the same as you until thursday and my visit to 'Boobie Club'. She's been a bit harder to settle and I seem to be going from having her on me constantly to feeding and then getting her down for up to 4 hours! :wacko: Last night I almost caved and topped up - I warmed it up and everything - but hubby took her from me and walked the floor for an hour or so and I snoozed then got my head together and off we went again. She's sleeping with us in between feeds which seems to settle her better. Tonight I actually found milk starting to really drip from me when I was getting ready to feed her!! :happydance: So less than 72 hrs later after taking all bottles and dummys out of the equation, I'm starting to see a change and I feel like my supply is up.

I know how you feel mate. Last night I really snapped at OH when he was trying to talk me out of topping her up - its unbearable when they cry and root and you feel empty. I've realised in not too long a space of time you'll find you're not as empty as you might think.

You're doing a great job honey and monday lunch time me and you can get our baps out and see whats what at Boobie Cafe!!! xxx

Here we are again!! Me and you and the parallel universe!!!

So as you know I was doing the same as you until thursday and my visit to 'Boobie Club'. She's been a bit harder to settle and I seem to be going from having her on me constantly to feeding and then getting her down for up to 4 hours! :wacko: Last night I almost caved and topped up - I warmed it up and everything - but hubby took her from me and walked the floor for an hour or so and I snoozed then got my head together and off we went again. She's sleeping with us in between feeds which seems to settle her better. Tonight I actually found milk starting to really drip from me when I was getting ready to feed her!! :happydance: So less than 72 hrs later after taking all bottles and dummys out of the equation, I'm starting to see a change and I feel like my supply is up.

I know how you feel mate. Last night I really snapped at OH when he was trying to talk me out of topping her up - its unbearable when they cry and root and you feel empty. I've realised in not too long a space of time you'll find you're not as empty as you might think.

You're doing a great job honey and monday lunch time me and you can get our baps out and see whats what at Boobie Cafe!!! xxx

love you lisa!

i'm going to try my hardest but i'm really close to throwing in the towel and accepting that i'm going to have to do both! OH is back to work on wed, he's been so supportive but i really think i'll crumble when he goes back to work. plus i don't think i can go on monday now because i think my midwife is changing her appointment time... argh!

boobies are driving me maaadddd...... and fin is sooooo insistent!!! i'm feeling like a failure but i can't be driven insane!

Alio i kno exactly how you feel! You just have to keep working at it. Keep swopping sides and your supply will up so quickly. A good way of boosting milk is porridge and also glucose powder oh and horlicks. Ellie has been very poorly in hospital this week and ive been ill to so ive felt my milk supply has really dried up but a few days of porridge, glucose and horlicks ive got that much milk i dont know wot to do with it lol.

Alio, the first few weeks are really really frustrating, difficult and time consuming. There were days where I was so tired, and Bren just nursed and nursed and nursed and I really wanted to quit. But I just kept at it, kept him on the boob and days turned to weeks turned to months and here we are at 5 months and to be honest, it is soooo easy now and it has been for a long time.You will get there, just try to be patient. You are doing a great job hun!!!

I feel for you both, I really do. We had a terrible time to start with. My milk came in two days late and we were re-admited to hospital after Poppy's initial weight loss. I felt like such a failure when I suddenly realised that the reason she had been so angry for the first few days was that she was starving. It really was the worst feeling.

But...the only way to get your milk supply up to what it needs to be is to perservere and keep putting her to the breast whenever she shows signs of hunger. Also, you might want to try skin to skin contact. Whip off her clothes, leave her in her nappy and lay her on your chest. Apparently, this stimulates the production of the hormone that determines your milk supply.

This has all worked for me and now I have the opposite problem, too much milk and she is coughing and spluttering at every feed because there is so much pouring out of me! One day we will get it right!

Good luck with it. :hug: xx

Keep trying Ali but dont beat yourself up about it. I'll still be hear what ever you do. If you cant make it monday dont worry we'll get together anyway matey. You're not a failure - you're already doing a great job by trying so hard xxx

Alio i kno exactly how you feel! You just have to keep working at it. Keep swopping sides and your supply will up so quickly. A good way of boosting milk is porridge and also glucose powder oh and horlicks. Ellie has been very poorly in hospital this week and ive been ill to so ive felt my milk supply has really dried up but a few days of porridge, glucose and horlicks ive got that much milk i dont know wot to do with it lol.

Horlicks? Worth a go, got the free sachets from the bounty packs lying about so I'll be drinking them later.

What about glucose powder? What do you do with it, and is it any different to like anything sweet?

Ali o- keep trying if you want to breastfeed, I've tried all the tips on here at some point over the past few weeks. (Except the horlicks, never heard that before but doing it later!) I go to a wee breastfeeding group and I love it! If Monday doesn't suit you come to the same one as me, Tuesday 11.30 Ballymoney Northern Ireland!

Ali o- keep trying if you want to breastfeed, I've tried all the tips on here at some point over the past few weeks. (Except the horlicks, never heard that before but doing it later!) I go to a wee breastfeeding group and I love it! If Monday doesn't suit you come to the same one as me, Tuesday 11.30 Ballymoney Northern Ireland!

:rofl:

alio your doing really well, like mervs mum said its hard but the ,milk supply will go up in no time, Ivenow got loads of milk and I mixed feeds for 3 weeks because it was really stressful, but now we are bf only and I couldnt be happier it wasnt easy, sore nipples from bubs constantly being on boobies, stress from lack of sleep, and crying from hunger but 2-3 days and we were there, now shes gaining weight well and sleeps from 10 pm - 5 am which is great, keep going if you can, but at the end of the day do what is best for you and baby take care

i had the same problem as u there was just not enough there ofor him n it killed me him screaming cuz he was still hungery so i turned to using formular for every feed and dont bf anymore but good luck and i hope u start getting more milk thru soon x

thanks so much everyone. at the moment i'm not brave enough to just keep putting him to the breast when it's empty. i just feel so mean.... but i am putting him to the breast every feed and following it with formula... i don't want to speak too soon but i think i might be getting more milk in (fingers crossed). i really appreciate your support and the fact that i don't feel judged. MWAH YOU LOVELY LADIES! XXXX

up until 14 days you must not give any formula as if he doesnt suck when you are dry you wont produce any more. Your body needs to get the msg that it needs to make more.

Even if you feel empty it doesnt necessarily mean you are. I bet baby is getting some milk - the body keeps producing it, it's not just like a bottle which is emptied - we continuously make more.Read here: https://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080130205132AAdc2QZ

I used to worry that baby wasnt getting enough milk, but the best piece of advice a lactation consultant gave me was to trust my body.

Try just breast feeding and get baby weighed regulalry - as long as weight is going on then you're both doing what you should.

When I need to get my milk supply back I just let my son comfort suck after a feeding and it works like a charm with increasing my supply for the next day. Good luck hun!

This has all worked for me and now I have the opposite problem, too much milk and she is coughing and spluttering at every feed because there is so much pouring out of me! One day we will get it right!

I get this, lol. Sometimes milk comes out her nose when she's feeding, poor thing :rofl:

Sounds like you have already gotten some great advice, so I just wanted to offer my moral support. Hang in there- it's hard, but gets easier!

Sounds like you have already gotten some great advice, so I just wanted to offer my moral support. Hang in there- it's hard, but gets easier!
thanks. i think things may be looking up. i am reducing his formula and seem to have more milk...... fingers crossed!:rofl:

alio your doing really well, like mervs mum said its hard but the ,milk supply will go up in no time, Ivenow got loads of milk and I mixed feeds for 3 weeks because it was really stressful, but now we are bf only and I couldnt be happier it wasnt easy, sore nipples from bubs constantly being on boobies, stress from lack of sleep, and crying from hunger but 2-3 days and we were there, now shes gaining weight well and sleeps from 10 pm - 5 am which is great, keep going if you can, but at the end of the day do what is best for you and baby take care
perfect advice.. thank you darling. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->