I opted for all tests to be done at 16 weeks, but (question)

Louise

Proud mum to baby Nick
Reaction score
What exactly are all these tests and can you refuse certain types such as the STD's etc:? I know for a fact that I havent got any of those and as I HATE any kind of test I would really like to make it as easy as possible on myself.

Also, this down syndrome test, that's where they insert the needle into your baby's sack, right? that's gotta hurt.. can anyone tell me a little more about these as my time is getting closer? :)

Much appreciated.

No they do a blood test for downs and if it comes back you have a higher risk they offer you an amniocentesis (sp) where they inject the sack to get the fluid around the baby.

This is optional and I believe that all the tests are optional.

Hi I had the amniocentisis and unless you are high risk from your triple test or over 35 you will not be offered this.

It is a very invasive test and not one to be taken lightly but it also depends on your viewpoint. I dont think you can request one on the NHS unless you meet the above criteria.

The actual procedure is a but uncomfy and like I said invasive but does not hurt. It is less painful than a blood test and the only feeling you get is like a popping feeling when the needle punctures the uterus and when it is drawn out (the fluid) it is like an achey dragging feeling. No local anisetic is used as it simply is not needed. Talk to your midwife she shoudl be able to tell you more. Also look at site www.amniopcr.com
take care
bex

Any test can be declined babe.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"