i probly sound like a spoilt brat moaning about this

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by pinktaffy, Nov 13, 2011.

1. pinktaffy

pinktaffy Well-Known Member

:wacko:well i know i should be thankfull so im gonna sound really spoult here.

but here goes a few months ago mil got my lo a new coat its really nice with flowers its so pretty realy is. everyone has commented how nice her new coat is, but was at a friends house today and her sister said oh wow thats a desighner coat catimini i said r u sure ive never heard of it we then googled it at its a 90 pound coat:shrug:.

shes 19 months old walking around in a coat worth almost 100 pound. i would of much soonered her put the money into somthing more usefull to little one like her savings bank or things she needs.

as i said its a loverly coat but i dont really like labels that much i think u can get just as nice things for alot less money.

i now how spoilt and silly i sound complaining about this but it has bugged me and i dont really know why.

2. Carlyp1990

Carlyp1990 Mum to 2 beautiful girls♡

i get what you mean, i wouldnt even spend that much on a coat for myself which i would get alot more wear out of. £90 would buy a whole new wardrobe for katie lol xx

3. lisa9999

lisa9999 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean too.
    £90 would kit Sophie out for 6 months!

4. pinktaffy

i know thats what i thought and the thing is lo is abit short of really warm winter clothes.
    im saving up now to buy some for xmass so that would of come in handy to of kitted her out with nice new stuff.

ive never payed that for a coat myself either lol

5. bungle

bungle Mummy of 2 girls

Totally understand what you mean but at the same time it's her money and upto her what she spends it on really. Just think you'll probably get a decent amount for it if you resell it on eBay :)

6. amygwen

amygwen Mom to Kenny & Gwendoline

I can see why you're upset, I would be too, I can't imagine spending a lot of money on clothes, especially for my LO as he's so young. Maybe she got it on a really good sale or was it second hand?

7. Hellodoris

Hellodoris Mum to one & one cooking.

Ooh I get you. For Eveys first birthday my cousin spent £95 on Monsoon clothes (a coat, a dress, and some tights) could not believe it when I worked it out. Makes me feel so guilty as she ruins most things she wears a she is into everything! Not to mention there is no way I can afford to spend half as much on her LO for his 1st birthday in January!

8. Ang1873

Ang1873 Mum to amazing wee girl.

i understand.

my MIL is forever buying clothes for LO and I really am grateful - but - she has so much stuff i get annoyed at her wasting her money! she bought her 6 tops and 3 pairs of trousers for her birthday. she already has so much. they're not expensive but really, for all the wear she'll get out them.

again, i think i sound really ungrateful!

9. Marleysgirl

Marleysgirl Mum to a SCBU Warrior!

Exactly my thoughts :haha:

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

William has a good coat, it was £40 but I got £15 off thats why i got it so was £35 in the end, I believe in good winter coats . But none of his stuff costs any more than that and he has a fair few nice pics in there with nice outfits on. I go for style not a label you cant see and prices, cheapo here lol

11. pinktaffy

it was definitly new was wrapped up with tags on. it had catimini all over it but ive never heard of it so i didnt know it was a brand i thought it was from materlan or tk max or somthing lol.

thing is when we go to toddler groups i just throw her coat in the box on the floor never thought for one minit it was expenciv to that extreme so it was used for everyday use now i know it was expencive im not really gonna wanna take it places were i just dump it lol. feel like i have 2 look after it now if that makes sence.

12. iceylou

iceylou Guest

i would feel the same. i was actually thinking about clothes all day and feeling guilty that nicole hasnt much clothes and neither has my son kyle. its not out of lack of money but i feel they both dont need wardrobes of clothes. they both have enough iykwim. kyle is 13 and over 6foot 2. his school trousers he got in august and now up to his ankles. if he stopped growing i would buy lots for him but all he wears is tracksuit pants and soccer tops. dh has brought home a few timberland items and they are rarely worn.

i get so annoyed with some of my family who say things like "ohh saw lovely clothes for nicole in Brown Thomas/Harvey Nics. why dont you buy her some?

13. bungle

bungle Mummy of 2 girls

No hun you should use it more because it's expensive. The real waste would be if it rarely got worn. Use it as you were and forget about the price, what's done is done x

14. pinktaffy

thanx ladies xx yer i will use it more i think.

thing is ive gotten little one a coat for xmass and i only payed 19.99 for it its a dora coat and i feel now its not gonna look near as good and its one of her pressents and its made me feel alittle sad about the coat i got her now.

15. bambino156

bambino156 Mummy

You don't sound like a spoilt brat at all hun x But I would say just use it and enjoy it. I love buying nice things for lo (more than I enjoy buying for myself!) I love Mini Boden which isn't exactly cheap - my dd has a gorgeous Boden winter coat which was about £60, but I know it will resell for a decent amount x

16. RachA

RachA Well-Known Member

I can understand what you mean. However if they want to spend that amount then it is up to them.
    My OH's sister to absolutely loaded. She is single and has no children and no mortgage etc. She has a tendency to buy things for my eldest that cost a lot more than i would spend on him. But to her spending £90 on a coat is like us spending £20. TBH it's actually nice that DS and DD have some really nice clothes as we would never buy them things that cost that much. I know it's difficult to get wear out of things when they are really little but now they are a bit older i always make sure they wear their clothes a lot. I don't have specific 'sunday best' clothes so clothes that are expensive get worn around the house just as much as ASDA's range lol

17. Blah11

Blah11 ☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼

Hm, its her money at the end of the day so it wouldnt bother me really.

18. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

It's bought now and you've taken the tags off so I'd use and just enjoy it really, then sell it on. However, I do agree with you about it! I was out with MIL a while back and she kept offering to buy Ruby and the baby all these expensive clothes (ridiculous stuff like £45 for one newborn babygro) and I told her nicely that for that price you'd get about 10 perfectly decent babygros from Mothercare or somewhere, and I'd prefer to have those! However I know my MIL isn't particularly well off, but if she was loaded, to be fair I'd just let her as there would be no issue and the clothes could be sold on.

(is it bad that I would consider selling these types of gifts on while they've still got the tags on if I realised the value...)

19. Lara310809

Lara310809 Mum of 3 girls

£90 is a LOT of money to spend on a coat she can only wear for one season; it's not like she will still fit into it next winter. I am of the same thinking as you; if it cost that much I would have preferred money to be put aside for her to be spent on something in the future or whatever, but at the same time your MIL probably just wanted to spoil her, so I also see it from that point of view. It's a hard one :shrug:

20. Windmills

Windmills Well-Known Member

No I wouldn't be upset. If your mil wants to buy her a present it's not up to you what she buys :shrug: