I really want to BF this time - what advice do you have?

mrsraggle

Wifey & Mummy
Reaction score
I'm newly pregnant again, EDD 30 Jan. With Eloise I was desperate to BF, I had an EMCS and didn't hold or feed her until 3 hours after birth where she wouldn't latch. The midwife, with my permission (it was very late and I was exhausted) gave her 10ml of formula. I then had a tough time getting her to latch at all. My boobs are huge (38JJ), my nipples are big (areola is as large as my two palms) and soft. I had to hand express colostrum for the first 24 hours. It took me 45 minutes to get 0.5ml and they wanted me to do it every hour night and day as well as constantly try her on the breast. I lost all my confidence at this point and at about 2am I asked for some formula. I then FF for about 12 hours until a lovely midwife, on my last day in hospital, helped me to express and get her latched for a few feeds.

But when I left I hadn't learned to get her latched myself and so she had expressed breast milk for a bit. My mum, midwives etc could not help me to get her latched at all - noone seemed to get it to work for us! Eloise used to scream when she saw my boobs.

The final straw was Eloise didn't wee in 24 hours and I was given a deadline - if she didn't wee by then then we had to take her back to hospital. I was besides myself by this stage and just gave up. I gave her FF (and expressed milk whenever I had the energy to pump) from that moment, just to get her to wee.

Noone ever mentioned that we could've tried relactation when I felt more confident and stronger which is a shame because 3/4 weeks down the line I was beating myself up about not breastfeeding and would've loved to give it another go.

So here I am again. I really want to achieve it this time - what can I do to enhance my chances of being successful? Do you recommend attending BF meetings in advance of giving birth? My midwife mentioned today that they've started a new bosom buddies initiative in the area that sounds interesting but what I really need is lots and lots of help in the first few days.

Thank you! :flower:

Yes, definatly go to the breastfeeding meetings! You have nothing to lose and they will only benefit you, and you may find some good friends on the side.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. I would try and get as much help from the midwives before you leave hospital, i.e. ask any questions get help to latch on and get them to watch you do it, try different positions. There is a good position called laid back breastfeeding where you lie on the bed slightly propped up with pillows and lie your baby on your chest, gravity should keep him there and it is a comfortable position.

when you come home try hard (i know this will be hard with a toddler) to relax as much as possible, drink lots of water, this will make a huge difference to how you feel.

Another thing you can try which i felt was a godsend was a nursing pillow, i had an emergancy c section too and this helped a lot with the positioning of my lo whith a sore scar. If you can get a v shaped pillow, and use that to prop the baby up in a good positiong then this can do wonders to how comfortable you feel. Doesnt work for everyone, but worth a try!

Just relax and try to enjoy it, hopeuflly it will be great this time!

^WSS. Hopefully this time you won't experience any problems but it is an extremely good idea to be prepared for any eventuality. Good luck! xx

Thank you. I'll get onto researching some local groups and make sure I go once I'm on maternity leave.

I'd recommend going along to a 'bumps and babies' groups at your local SureStart centre if they have one. A lady at ours came along for the last few weeks of her pregnancy and was determined to breastfeed (she was in a similar situation to you). As a few of us BF in the group it meant that she had our support from day one if she needed it, and she's happily bombarding us with questions and getting along brilliantly. I'm sure any ladies there would be more than happy to help you out so you've got a friendly face to help you out on days when the BF clinic isn't available. Good luck hun xxxxxx

I think that's what I need Cattie. I find it really hard to make friends (I've tried since having Eloise but somehow never succeed!!) so I'm worried noone will offer their help. Suppose I'll have to assert myself a little more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->