I think I'm having a giant!

Bunny_Boo

Reaction score
Last time I was worried about his size you lovely ladies calmed me down! Well now I'm worried again! :haha:

Had another private scan (they are addictive :dohh) at 29w5d and he's even bigger! It was only three weeks ago I had my last one at 26w5d and his head measured bang on but tummy was 2w1d ahead and his legs 1w3d. Weight was 2lbs 14oz but I realise this could be off by quite a bit.

Well now his head is 1 week ahead, tummy 3w2d ahead and his legs are 4w5d ahead! Surely they must be wrong! :haha: oh and he weighs around 4lbs 14oz, again I know this could be wrong but could the other measurements be wrong?

Was tested for diabetes but I'm all clear. Please tell me he isn't going to be massive! :dohh:

Hi at 32 weeks baby was estimated to be just over 5lb they have said she may be 10 pound at birth!!! I wrote a thread on here about the subject and was in such a panic but the reaction was really reassuring, lots saying how wrong they can be by scan and also that they found bigger babies easier to deliver! also big baby doesnt mean big child midwife said they tend to be slim children. It can be a scary thought though!

p.s my baby has always measured 2 weeks ahead also and belly 5 weeks ahead!! x

Thanks so much for your reply! People are going to be sick of trying to reassure me! :dohh:

I wouldn't of minded so much if he was still 2 weeks ahead but he just seems to be further along each time! Surely he has to stop growing so far ahead! :haha:

Was it the same sonographer as the last time? Sometimes, even that can make a difference. Maybe bring your concerns up with your midwife at your next appointment as it wasnt a medical scan, that way if she agrees you can be monitored properly and put your mind.

I really wouldn't worry - I had my little girl Friday night by a unplanned home birth. She has been measuring a week or so behind for most of the pregnancy and I was worried she'd be small. Actually she turned out to be 8lb 12oz! I know this doesn't sound reassuring but what I am trying to say is I delivered her in my own bed with only gas and air and tens machine - your body is designed for this - you will be fine :)

my baby is measuring above 95th percentile on the growth chart in our preg notes is your baby above x

It was the same person but I suppose even they could do things differently which would make a difference? I do have a consultant appt next week which I had to push for because one midwife told me I would need growth scans if he was still big by 28 weeks but then another midwife says they don't refer ladies for growth scans :dohh: bit frustrating!

8lbs 12oz is a great size for apparently being behind!! Congrats on your wee girl :flow: I think I'm getting paranoid about him not being able to fit out :haha:

my baby is measuring above 95th percentile on the growth chart in our preg notes is your baby above x

I've never had a chart with any measurements recorded so I'm unsure where he would be and what percentile he would be

firstly they do refer you for growth scans as thats how I had mine so that midwife is talking gobbldygook!! they measure belly and if each check baby still measures above they refer you! and dont you have your pregnancy notes? a big purple and white folder of notes? as its in there... x

Apparently the midwives who get the referrals don't like it when midwives refer them, they prefer consultants to.. Have you heard anything so stupid lol!

I do have my purple folder but they've never wrote any measurements in on charts, I thought they would only do that for growth scans?

you should have a page in there that has a graph and at each midwife appointment they will feel your belly and plot where you are measurement wise. Of course this way cant be totally accurate as you might carry excess fluid. As far as I was aware everyone has this? ive had mine plotted several times and its because of this chart that I was reffered for growth scan. I really would question it at midwife appointment next as several people on the forum have spoke about there chart and what percentile they are plotted at. Also why would they expect consultant to refer you? I have issues in pregnancy apart from large baby and I dont even see consultant till 35 weeks! and f you have had no other issues you wouldnt be with a consultant for him/her to refer you!! how barmy!!

Just looked through my folder. There is a bit with three graphs for different measurements but it's headed ultrasound graphs and haven't been filled in :/

My midwives are starting to get on my nerves! Never phone back, never check my notes and always seem so laid back and uninterested! Feel better after a rant :haha:

Hmm I have a page with 3 graphs in and thats filled as well as a single main graph that plots babies overall estimated weight! I mean how else are they supposed to keep track if your baby is growing correctly? this all sounds so wrong and id get on their backs about it to be honest! you are not getting all the treatment you should be in my opinion. I may be wrong of course, maybe not all places fill out the graphs would like to hear others experience of this... x

Thanks so much for all the info.

They do measure my tummy and write in what I'm measuring but that's it and they don't even check what the appt before said :dohh:

Looking forward to my consultant appt too, that way I can get all my concerns out. Just hope he listens better than the midwives!

If you watched the show on bbc 2 this eve The midwives, they showed the very chart I was saying about!

Hi Bunny! It's nice to see you over in the third tri forum - it's crazy how fast time goes by! I'm actually in a similar situation as you - I had a growth ultrasound done at 35 weeks and LO weighed just over 7lbs already and is measuring at 38 weeks! My OB wants me to do another scan in 3 weeks time (when I will actually be 38 weeks along) to check the baby's size again and has said that if he keeps growing at this rate then we'll need to "have a serious conversation about whether delivering naturally is best." Having said that, my OB also said that the baby may not grow all that much more or that I may just go early (apparently baby is in position and "ready to go any time") so now it's just a waiting game to see what happens. I have heard LOTS of stories about growth scans being inaccurate tho, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Has your doc talked to you at all about your options if baby ends up large?

Hi girls,

I think I am having a giant baby too! :) I also started a thread recently and was given lots of lovely reassurance... But I still have a bit of worry that I might not be able to have a natural delivery as planned! I'm going for a growth scan in 2 weeks so that should give us a weight estimate. My fundal height is 6 weeks ahead and my very pro natural birth doctor did say that we may need to talk c section as full term approaches. :(
Would be great to stay in touch and see how our big bubbas go!

A story that reassured me recently is that my friend also meausured really far ahead and was told she was giving birth to a toddler. The doctor joked that bubs bags would be packed and she'd be ready for school when she came out! But out popped an absolutely perfect 7 1/2 pounder! Even the scans can be way off.

My friend was told baby weighed 7lbs 7oz at 38 weeks. When her daughter was born 3 weeks later she was 7lbs. So they can definitely over estimate. So hard to know though!

My ds measured ahead at scans and ended up coming at 37+5 (I went into labour naturally but ended up having a section as he was breech. He weighed 8lb 3oz so probably WOULD have been a giant if he had gone full term, however my midwife said she thought he would come early with him measuring big...and he did!

This time baby is measuring even bigger on scans but i'm not worried. I trust my body to know what its doing xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->