I think I'm having a giant!

Sherple - Thanks so much for a possitive experience! It is nice to hear that it can be possible, I guess when you're looking into having a baby which is big you only really see bad stories and I have to try and remember it is possible! :)

Lallie - Hi! I do hope you get the birth you want and don't need a section! Please keep us updated, I'd love to know how you get on. Thanks for your measurements! Its interesting to see what some babies measure

At a private scan at 29w5d my wee man was:
Head circumference - 27.99cm (30w5d)
Femur length - 6.55cm (34w3d)
Abdominal circumference - 28.95cm (33w)
Weight - 4lbs14oz (33w1d)

I haven't put on much weight (well last time I checked :haha:) I lost half a stone at the start and put it back on by around 20 weeks and have put on another half stone last time I checked a few weeks ago. But I can imagine I will put lots on the next few weeks!

Mizzy - Sorry your appt was bad :( I do believe they dont care sometimes and just see us as a number. They may be understaffed and have lots of people to see but they need to make sure they do things right, its our health! I don't see why they panic about the size of gestational diabetes and not that of women without it? I understand GD means baby could be big and harder to come out but what about babies the same size but without GD? makes no sense to me. I'm not sure about my percentiles but I know my measurements from my private scan above will be well over average!

6 weeks ago i gave bith naturally to 11lb 2 baby. 1 stitch and a small graze. naturally! not even an epidural! big babies dont always mean a hard labour

Hi all! Just want to join you on this very comforting thread... Hope we can support each other through the last few weeks :thumbup:

Brief history... after all my miscarriages I have been on heparin injections throughout the pregnancy and aspirin until last week then I developed Gestational diabetes too and have been controlling my diet to keep that in order. Had a growth scan yesterday and have been put on metformin for the diabetes as little Squig's growth is too much, too fast. My dr has said that we will make a decision at 38 weeks scan (in 2 weeks) but based on Squig's current head size it looks like a natural birth may be out of the question :cry:

So his 36 week scan details are:
Weight: 3.3kg (approx 7.25lbs - 38w2d)
Head circumference: 34 cm (39 w 4d)
Abdominal circumference: 33.8cm (37w5d)
Femur length: 7.07cm (36w 2d)

I have put on 9kg (20lbs) and am pretty short at 1.63m (5'3"). How much has everyone else gained and do you feel it's relative to baby's size?? Maybe he's just destined to be short and chubby like his mummy:shrug:
they are almost identical to my lo measurements at 35 weeks. but bare in mind he was in for another 7 weeks:dohh:

ull prob be induced at 39 weeks if they are worried. so id say ur lo prob be 9 ish lbs not over 11 like mine:wacko:

6 weeks ago i gave bith naturally to 11lb 2 baby. 1 stitch and a small graze. naturally! not even an epidural! big babies dont always mean a hard labour

Congrats! That's amazing, thanks for sharing your story :D I don't have the option of an epidural as they don't provide that service near me so it's great to hear you did it without one. Well done!

Hi at 32 weeks baby was estimated to be just over 5lb they have said she may be 10 pound at birth!!! I wrote a thread on here about the subject and was in such a panic but the reaction was really reassuring, lots saying how wrong they can be by scan and also that they found bigger babies easier to deliver! also big baby doesnt mean big child midwife said they tend to be slim children. It can be a scary thought though!

Hi I am just being nosey from second tri and just wanted to say one of my boys was 9lb 6 heaviest born easiest delivery ever but also he is now 11 and like the slimmest of all my baby's (5) he's only in 10 yr old clothes but unfortuantly eats like a bleeding horse :D

Wow babyhopes thats an amazing weight!

With my lg I always seemed to be o measuring wise and she was born at 39+2 8lb 1oz

This time at 27 wks I was measuring 30 wks. At 30 wks I was measuring 36 and at 34 wks I was measuring 38 wks.

This baby certainly feels bigger than my lo. Mw, student mw and consultant all keep saying good sized baby, I will be very suprised if he is under 9lb! Lol.

Xx

Thanks so much to all the ladies who have shared their positive experiences! :)

I had my follow up ultrasound today and was really worried about how big LO was going to be (it's been three weeks since my last scan at 35 weeks, and LO weighed 7lbs2oz at that point). Well it turns out that LO has only gained just over one pound in 3 weeks (he measured 8lbs4oz today), meaning that he isn't measuring nearly as big as they thought he might be at this point! I have my appointment with my OB tomorrow so we'll see what he says then, but I'm feeling really positive about giving birth naturally now! I just wanted to share this with everyone because I had heard so many stories about how babies gain tons of weight over the last few weeks of pregnancy. and was really expecting LO to be so much bigger during my scan today. For all those who are wondering, here are my measurements from both scans:

35 week scan:
Head circumference - 32.91cm (36w6d)
Femur length - 7.55cm (38w4d)
Abdominal circumference - 33.25cm (37w2d)
Weight - 7lbs2oz (38w0d)

38 week scan:
Head circumference - 34.6cm (39w2d)
Femur length - 7.67cm (39w1d)
Abdominal circumference - 35.49cm (39w4d)
Weight - 8lbs4oz (40w6d)

That's great news JL, so happy for you! Had an appt today too (37 weeks) but no scan, just measured my stomach with tape measure etc. I haven't put on any weight since last week but tummy has grown 2 weeks worth!!! How does that work?!! Dr is still optimistic I will be able to have a natural birth and we will have a proper growth scan again next Thursday.
How's everyone else doing?

I think it all depends on how tall you and your partner are. My husband is 6ft 3in and I am 5ft 8in so we tend to have tall children. My baby's legs are very long but his tummy is big too. I have GD but seem to be managing it well currently. They estimated his weight at just under 4lb on tuesday. I don't think he will be small but I am not expecting anything beyond 10lb! I am guessing about 9lb (hoping no more!!)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I didn't have a scan but I always measured right on to a week ahead. Well guess what, I have no idea as well as the doctors, on where the heck she hid. She was 9 lbs 3 oz and 22 inches. That sure would explain all that heartburn I had though. But no technology or anything can guarantee the size of what your baby will be. Only baby knows.

Also I don't think it depends on how tall you are. I am only 5 feet 4 inches and DH is 5 feet 6 inches. Nobody on either side of our families are that tall. And I also did not have GD.

I would not ever say scans are perfectly safe get dozens. If extras are medically needed then of course whatever risks should be focused on less.

HI all! How's everyone doing??

Just thought I would update with my latest growth scan info.... Had my 38 week scan on Halloween-

Head Circumference: 35.3cm (41w2d)
Abdominal Circumference: 36.7cm (40w4d)
Femur Length: 7.4cm (37w6d)
Estimated weight: 4045g (8.9lbs)

She took the measurements 3 times to be sure....

Dr tried to do a sweep but my cervix wasn't "favourable" (why do they use that word?? I find it so bizarre lol) Now the plan is to see what progress he's made by 39 weeks (Thursday) and if there's no change we will do a c section. My dr won't induce unless baby is engaged and little Squig doesn't seem to be remotely interested in engaging at the moment!

It's not the birth I wanted but I just keep telling myself that I could be holding my little boy this time next week and all is good :winkwink:

Hey, I just wanted to say that at 38 weeks my son was estimated to be just shy of 12lbs, 36 weeks he was just shy of 11lbs. My son was born via c-section (due to weight estimate AND breech presentation), at 39+1 and he was 9lbs 6oz. Scans can be HORRIBLY off.

This baby is actually measuring 58th percentile. 32+6 she was 4lbs 11oz. I still expect her to be 7 to 8lbs at full term.

Thanks for the reply nina.... Sometimes I think all this technology makes things worse!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->