I thought we got child benefit from 29 weeks - did I imagine it? UPDATE: answered

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by becstar, Apr 17, 2009.

1. becstar

becstar Sleep is for the weak

Only nothing anywhere says we do - not CAB website, or direct.gov website, nothing. I was kind of banking on that money! I know we get the health in pregnancy grant but do we not get both?

2. jo_79

jo_79 Mum 2 Chloe, Sam & Hollie

I dont think you get child benefit until the baby is born, i didnt get it in either my previous pregnancies.

3. csmummu

csmummu Home to Charlie.

no only when the child is born. The 29 weeks is the £500 pregnancy grant for people on low incomes and certain tax credits.

4. becstar

I thought it was a new thing coming in along with the HIP grant. Someone tell me I'm not going mad! I know it wasn't the case before but I thought it was from April this year.

5. Jayden'sMummy

Jayden'sMummy Jayden and Macie-Leigh xx

you dont get it until you prove your childs birth (birth certificate) x

6. Lisalovesbean

Lisalovesbean Well-Known Member

Definately not claimable from 29 weeks! You claim CHB from the birth of the baby sending in your childs birth certificate as proof you are actually a parent!!!

This normally takes a couple of weeks to kick in and payments to start and they return the birth certificate to you!

7. becstar

Alright, I found this pre-budget report online and it definitely says we would by April 2009. But by the sounds of things it obviously hasn't happened because you all think I'm loopy.

https://prebudget.treasury.gov.uk/prebudget2006/pbr06_leaflet.pdf on page 2

it says:
    from April 2009 every mother-to-be will be eligible for Child Benefit
    from week 29 of their pregnancy;

8. Cazza89

Cazza89 Mummy of 1,expecting no.2

When do we get the £190? And i thought we got the £500 whilst preg too? =S x

9. NuttyJester

NuttyJester Brand new little boy! :o)

Well spotted! Well, to be honest, just had a quick scout round and couldn't find anymore uptodate info... seems they may well have changed their minds in the last 3 years... I know, politicians, change their minds as often as women!

10. becstar

Right, I found this link https://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_123_07.htm
    which says that basically the health in preg grant replaced the idea of claiming child benefit from 29 weeks: In the 2006 Pre-Budget Report, the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced that, in recognition of the importance of a healthy diet during pregnancy, from April 2009 every mother-to-be would be eligible for Child Benefit from the 29th week of her pregnancy. Treasury Ministers subsequently decided that provision should be payable as a new single payment called the Health in Pregnancy Grant.

Which is cheeky because 11 weeks at £20 is 220, not £190. Ho hum. Money is money, after all.

Cazza, your midwife will give you a form after 25 weeks to claim the £190 but there is currently a huuuuge backlog so lots of people won't get it until the baby is born. I don't know about the £500 - I earn too much for it apparently.

11. thelilbump

thelilbump ♥ mummy to a princess ♥

our CB started when lo was born

12. NuttyJester

NuttyJester Brand new little boy! :o)

13. becstar

Yeah, I kind of managed to find the answer to my own question in my prev post!

Thanks for helping me to know I'm not crazy.

14. Neon

Neon Well-Known Member

I've noticed that you're not entitled to much if you work... Or is that wrong?

15. Tasha

Tasha 4kids+2angels+16mc

16. becstar

You get child benefit and possibly some low amount of child tax credit, but I get sod all really because I earn too much (it really doesn't feel like I earn too much, I assure you!) My sister earns a few grand less than me and her childcare is paid for! But I will get nothing towards mine. The kicker is, after pension, tax, nat ins and student loan goes out she earns only slightly less than me a month...

17. Neon

Neon Well-Known Member

Tax is phenomenal? Our mortgage is nearly £600 a month (for a tiny cottage - we're desperate to move) - haven't started paying student loan yet, loads of outgoings and we will really struggle when LO comes along. But I've been researching what we're entitled to and you don't get much - which is frustrating!

I'm wondering whether to go back to work as once you take my travel and childcare into consideration we'll be even more skint!! :wacko:

18. Samemka

Samemka Mummy of 2 girlies

DITTO! I'm training as a teacher at the moment and if I go back to work in September 2010, once childcare is taken into account and the difference between child benefit we'll get now (which isn't much anyway) and what it will be when OH and I are both earning (the minimum), I can't help thinking I'll be doing so much work for not much at all!! You do have 5 years to complete your NQT year (basically I qualify end of June this year then you have to do a year's 'induction') so I'm tempted to have 2 years off then at least I won't have to face as many years of astronomical childcare....but then I do want 2 babies quite close together in age so I'm not sure whether I'm better getting my NQT year out of the way, grinning and bearing the minimal wages and then being 'free' to have another baby whenever!

When is it that children start school? What about pre-school / funded childcare? Just thinking if it's say age 3, I could have 2 years off then it's only 1 year of paying alot of childcare before the costs get reduced. But if it's age 4...then 2 years of childcare is enough as it is....nevermind the thought of 3 years if I start teaching next September!!

19. first alien

first alien Well-Known Member

Hi. i'm a teacher too and know that i wont be entitled to much. if you are thinking of not doing your NQt for a couple of years its worth remembering that if you dont complete your induction in 5 years you will need to retrain. atleast i think its 5 years.
    Children are to be in school at 5 although alot go at 4years. preschool is from 3 in most areas.
    good luck for your NQT. i planned my wedding during mine. dont know how it'd be knowing i had a little one as well. xx

20. becstar

My NQT year was much easier than my PGCE year (that was hell on toast) and I think you'd be okay leaving it a couple of years before you did it... although you might find it harder to get into then, when you're not a 'fresh-faced NQT'! You start getting funded nursery from 3 I think (although it's only a few sessions a week, not full time) and kids start reception at 4-5.