I Want Salami!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by LulaBug, Dec 18, 2009.

1. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

My dad gave me and my OH a ton of food yesterday because he's going over to France for Christmas and New Year and didn't want it to spoil or go to waste and amongst what we got was 2 bits of salami! The whole sausage kind and I'm absolutely itching to have some.

I've read as per usual contradictory advice, "yes you can have it", "no you can't" and was wondering.....am I OK to have Salami? I'd heat it if I had to just to get the badness out of it.

I love meat and I love Salami! lol!

What do I do?

2. cindi

cindi Mom of 4 girls

i eat it without warming it. but that's me, if you are concerned nuke it in the microwave and then cool it down if you want to eat it cold.

3. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I personally would just eat it as is, but I eat all the things on the 'do not eat' lists, so if you're a worrier or a stickler for the lists you could heat it first.

4. FitzBaby

FitzBaby Me, Hubby,& Toddler

i eat it as well. i think the "do not eat" list is a little absurd.

5. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

Thanks ladies, that's great. I think I'll warm some up later and eat it for dinner. I love Salami lol!

Oh and to top it off, I have a cold and now am worried about using Vaporub on my chest.
    I'm using it anyway because I don't actually think it's one of those harmful things, I'm not ingesting it. It's on the outside of my body.

6. TashTash

TashTash Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say im in hospital in germany and on the maternity ward...............they gave me bread with ham and cheese and salami on wednesday night so im assuming it must be alright if they are dishing it out on the maternity ward??

x x x

7. Cactusgirl

Cactusgirl Home birth hopeful

I am taking the don't eat list with a pinch of salt too. (not literally!)

If I fancy something and as long as in moderation I am having it. Like my mum says when she had me there were no 'don't eats' at all and how many healthy babies were born then!

TashTash that is funny they are serving it on a maternity ward - just goes to show how different places the guidelines differ!! Hope you are ok!

8. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

Hope you're ok TashTash and that your hospital stay is short and brief and that you get well soon.

Drives me mad that these people make all these "Do's and Don'ts" lists. As if we haven't got enough to worry about already. Sheesh!

9. tonique

tonique Member

For some reason Salami´s and other chorizos etc are not allowed in France or Spain, but I was told that you can have them if you freeze them first? just wanted to share the advice in these countries
    How about egg´s yolk? on a fried egg? that is what i miss most

10. JennTheMomma

JennTheMomma Mommy of 1 & Expecting #2

I'd put it in a fry pan on the stove with a piece of cheese on top and warm it up. That would taste really good on some wheat bread. If you don't want to warm it up, just have a little in moderation.

11. jess_smurf

jess_smurf Angel Kristian & Olivia

yes if you freeze it first all bacteria will be killed and then defrost you will be able to eat it

12. kermie219

kermie219 Well-Known Member

I eat it cold with crackers all the time...didn't know something said I wasn't supposed to oopps!

13. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I have a cold too and was told vaporub is on the safe list.

14. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

It's because of the risk of toxoplasmosis. I personally wouldn't risk it. My sister lives in germany and is also pregnant and was told to avoid it.

15. LulaBug

LulaBug Mum of 5

I thought Toxoplasmosis was something only Cat's carried around with them sometimes. Didn't know food had it as well.

Wow, learn something new everyday.

Hope you feel better soon Seity xxx

16. Ginaerhol

Ginaerhol Mummy of 3 princesses :D

i personally would have some xx

17. fluffpuffin

fluffpuffin Well-Known Member

The problem with toxoplasmosis is you can get it without realising (i.e. lower levels) and pass it on to the baby - it can seriously affect the baby - neurological damage, damage to the eyes etc.

And it's not just something that cats have. You can risk getting it by eating any raw or undercooked food. Salami is not cooked only smoked. i still eat it in pizza if I crave it as the heat kills the toxoplasmosis.

xxx