I want to stop working

enrisa

Reaction score
Hi, I am 5 weeks pregnant and 41 years-old. I worry of miscarriage, and my job as a teacher is very stressful and tiring. But if I tell the doctor I am just worried and tired, I might not get a sick leave. What can I tell him?

Any help? :flower:

Enrisa, I think every pregnant woman can empathise with the worry and fatigue of the early days of pregnancy and stressful lives. Have you any particular reason to have such a large fear of miscarriage (have you been told you are high risk?). I'm not sure that a GP/Ob would sign you off on the basis of fatigue and worry and I would not recommend lying/telling mistruths to your Doctor as this may have implications for the rest of your pregnancy. Also would you be in a financial position to take so much sick leave this early into your pregnancy with no medical indication? And how would this affect your leave/job after you have your baby? Is there any way that you could speak with your Doctor and employer to see if you could reduce your hours/alter your workload to a level that you can cope with?

Unfortunately I don't believe age will be a reason to have you removed from work as although the risk of miscarriage is increased it is due to chromosomal reasons and thus low activity will have no effect. I was taken off work with my last pregnancy at 17 weeks as I have a history of preterm labour, work 12 hour days on my feet and am expected to lift 40lbs. With my previous pregnancies I was told I could still work all day on my feet and just had restrictions put on how much I can lift in the late second trimester, I worked long, stressful days until before labour began.
I can tell you from having been off work, sitting at home is worse than keeping busy.

I mean absolutely no offence by this but the reason you won't get signed off work is being worried and tired really isn't a reason to stop working. Almost every pregnant woman feels the exact same in the first tri. It does pass. Speak to your boss, explain how your feeling, they may be able to offer a solution to help but don't look for reasons that are not there to take leave. You may need it later on for a genuine reason. Lying is never a good idea no matter the circumstances.

I disagree, stress is a genuine reason. If you feel that you're just too stressed to cope at work it may be worth getting a sick note, but more importantly asking to be put forward for counselling may help too.

Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is a type of counselling that teaches you how to deal with stress, anxiety and depression in a healthy way.

Just speaking to your doctor may end up helping you enough to continue work anyway. Do you have someone you can speak to about your worries?
First trimester really is hard work & if you're prone to feeling anxious anyway it can feel almost impossible..:hugs:

I don't think it is a good idea to lie to your doctor. But severe fatigue + anxiety issues can be enough to get a sick leave or reduced hours. My suggestion is to be honest with your doctor and boss about your limitations and try to find the best solution possible.

I have nausea and severe fatigue and decided to take one month off work (from 7 weeks to 11 weeks) but I work by contracts so I am not getting paid for that time off work. I can understand that some women feel so bad during the first trimester that it can be a reason to stop working for a while, even if there is nothing wrong with the pregnancy.

Stress and anxiety are reasons to get signed off work!

If you are not coping and really need to get off work for a while then talk to your doctor, tell them of your concerns and ask for help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->