I wouldn't usually care. Damn hormones.

Glitter_berry

Mum of 2, 1 Pink, 1 Blue
Reaction score
So my friend had her baby, a baby girl and was eagerly awaiting the announcement of babies name.
SHE NAMED HER CHILD MY DAUGHERS NAME!! It's not a common name either.

Usually I would be flattered an think awe she must like the name / my daughter. As we've all been there with oh I like this name. But I know a brat with that name, next!! Lol

But instead of being flattered I was absolutely furious.
I'm sure it's just hormones and ill get over it. But it's not like me to get mad over something so silly.

LOL I am one of those who holds my children's name close to me. I want my children to be individuals and not have everyday names where they can get confused with other children. I had picked my daughter's name out when I was 12 and had to wait 10 years to use it - it was Willow btw. Now I am seeing her name pop up everywhere and it drives me insane!! This one's name we are keeping it a secret, I doubt it has ever been used to name another child, but it my head I keep telling myself to keep it a secret in case someone steals it from me lol.

I am sure in time you will kinda get over it, but if your anything like me it will quietly nag at you every so often. People might think its no big deal, but to me names say a lot.

I wonder what she will say when you see her?

We're not close friends. She never goes out anywhere. She's work, home and Facebook. But she talked to me alot about her pregnancy
So it's not "that" big of a deal. It's just going to bug me everytime I see her posting something on Facebook now. Lol give it a week and it probably won't bother me at all.
My daughter is still going to be an individual :) and that's all that matters. :)

This one's name we are keeping it a secret, I doubt it has ever been used to name another child, but it my head I keep telling myself to keep it a secret in case someone steals it from me lol.

Me too. Lol that and I don't want to hear people's negative opinions on not liking it. Or making rhyming names to put me off it.

A few of years ago I told a friend what my favourite baby names were and yep she stole it when her daughter was born a few months later!!! I was livid!! All good now as I don't like the name anymore and I have a new favourite name picked for my little princess!!!

Oh I can completely understand! A name can sometimes feel like a prize possession. My sons name is common so I don't care who uses it..friends or not but my daughters is not. when you think you found that perfect original name that no one never or at the very least rarely used...it crushes you when someone you know takes it..especially when you know darn well they got the name from you.

It kind of seems petty, I know...but I do understand why it would bother you ;)

I haven't had to deal with this yet..knock on wood!!! :loo: <----the image was the closest thing to knocking on wood I could find :rofl:

My childrens names are pretty different (more so my daughters) and i keep them secret till after they are born .i can see why it bothers you a bit . Names can be very personal with specific meanings x

My DD1's name is becoming more common, however the pronunciation of her name is uncommon (Arianna - pronounced Ahri-Anna (first "a" in Anna is as in apple).
This baby is going to have an even more uncommon name (Ellyson).
We are hoping to one day have at least one boy, but the name we picked out is quite common (Robert) but I have a different-ish nickname for him (RJ).

I'm sure it's probably largely hormones and that you will get over it sooner or later. Especially of you don't see her too often. Hopefully you start to feel better sooner Xx :)

So just checking....she's named her daughter the same name as your 3 year old, not a name you had picked for her newest child?

I always go for very traditional names, so love reading people's uncommon names. What is your daughter called? I promise I won't steal it ;)

If she did name her daughter the same name as your three year old, then I guess it is flattery and I'm glad she didn't steal the name you wanted for your new baby!! But totally understand being annoyed too, it's a shame she can't be more original.

It's not an uncommon name in America, but here where I live its really uncommon..

Her Name is Savannah. ( very common in some places) And yes she is my very adorable 3 year old..

I'm totally over it now, whats a name, it's the personality that makes a child special.
I really think it was just hormones, I messaged my husband at work today crabby because he left the dog out in the rain when he left, ha ha not that the fatty cared she was snuggled up with the cat in her kennel.

New baby is a boy, and I just can't think of a name.

It would kind of peeve me too, tbh. Not a huge deal, just that I would feel as if she were copying me instead of finding her baby's own name.

I named my dd Shauna, because at the time it was pretty uncommon. In our church, there are 3 total Shaunas, spelled the same way, and they're all close in age. Apparently what I thought was original was becoming a trend at the time I had my dd.

This baby of mine, has a more common name, but nobody can take away the meaning that I hold dear to my heart with it. My dad died when I was 12, so this little man is going to be named Jesse, after him. His middle name is pending, because dh is picking a name from his father's side of the family that means something to him. So while there are a ton of little Jesses out there, mine is still more special to me because I will think of my dad anytime he is around. By this, other kids with the same name will not bother me at all.

My friends sister in law named her daughter the exact first and middle name my friend was going to name her daughter! And the kicker is this... They wer due only 1 month apart! I would be devastated! Now my friend has to come up with a new name quick! Crap!

It would kind of peeve me too, tbh. Not a huge deal, just that I would feel as if she were copying me instead of finding her baby's own name.

I named my dd Shauna, because at the time it was pretty uncommon. In our church, there are 3 total Shaunas, spelled the same way, and they're all close in age. Apparently what I thought was original was becoming a trend at the time I had my dd.

This baby of mine, has a more common name, but nobody can take away the meaning that I hold dear to my heart with it. My dad died when I was 12, so this little man is going to be named Jesse, after him. His middle name is pending, because dh is picking a name from his father's side of the family that means something to him. So while there are a ton of little Jesses out there, mine is still more special to me because I will think of my dad anytime he is around. By this, other kids with the same name will not bother me at all.

Aww Jesse is a perfect name..I have always loved it =)

My friends sister in law named her daughter the exact first and middle name my friend was going to name her daughter! And the kicker is this... They wer due only 1 month apart! I would be devastated! Now my friend has to come up with a new name quick! Crap!

This is what would really tick me off. If I told a friend who was due before me what I wanted to name my child and they decided to name their kid that, knowing mine was due AFTER theirs, I would take that as a slam. A "Neener, neener, neener", so to speak. I know flattery is supposed to be awesome, but that's where I draw the line. lol

I'm sorry, but I would personally be pissed if someone stole my child's name. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the name was common, but since my kids have unique names, I would.be a bit peeved about it. I have 4 girls. Their names are Jenica (jennifer and jessica put together), Madisyn, Dara, and London. And its funny that the name Savannah was mentioned. Its my oldest daughters best friends name!

When I was due with my dd my sister was also pregnant and I told her I loved the name amelia and that I wanted to give my baby the same middle name as me and my mum which is marie. So at my sisters 20 wks scan which was a month before mine she found out she was having a girl and yep called her Amelia Marie!!! I wasnt thay annoyed about the first name as I had gone off it and we picked Emily instead, but the middle name means so much to me and I am still seething about it even though that will be this babies middle name. We decided after that not to tell anyone what we were going to call our dd (or this one), but when Emily was born my sister started using the nickname Milly for her daughter, so it seems that she was pretty determined to steal whatever name I picked. She is pregnant again with a girl and due before me but we are not telling this time!!!

So in short I completely understand the names thing. (Btw way me and my sister are close too and see each other and kids regularly). Xx

I'd definitely be pissed.

Maybe she was inspired by your daughter. I think in this day and age its next to impossible to have a unique name. When you do its difficult. Growing up I had a very old traditional name (Patricia) I sincerely hated it. When I was 18 I changed my name to Rostaria. For 5 years I had. "Oh is that Spanish." "Oh thats such an usual name." I changed it to Katrina last year and its finally the name for me.

I have chosen a rather common traditional name Lucy. For our little girl. Everyone has said what a lovely name it is. I dont care what other people think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->