If you could give a new mum one piece of advice

S

Serene123

what would it be?

Mine would be, sleep when they sleep, no matter how much you want to lay awake staring at them!

Mine is..........

You get sooooooooo much "advice" from people, some good, some maybe not for you and some downright dangerous advice (usually from oldies:dohh:)

Take notice of the stuff you like the sound of and take no notice of the stuff that's not right for you (unless it compromises baby's health obviously).

What's right for one Mum and baby isn't necessarily right for another....everyone's different, make sure you remember that:hugs:

Oh yeah....and good luck:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

get fresh air...daily...fresh air's good!

mine would be, as a mum.. YOU know whats best for your baby and dont let other people tell you otherwise!

Never be afraid to have a bit of you time especially if you have a partner. It's hard to hand your baby over to someone else but in the long run it's good for you to have time for yourself and it helps keep your relationship strong

mine would be: enjoy the first precious weeks when you and your LO are getting to know each other... don't worry about things like housework etc, enjoy that time

I don't think some people will like mine... but after two kids, and lots of unnecessary tears...

Remember your mom and your OH's mom raised you and your OH. Their methods may not be the same as yours, but arguing over the baby isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

They do love your baby, they do love their kids, and they do want the same thing as you do... what's best for the baby.

Ultimately the choices are yours, but letting gramma have her way once in a while won't hurt LO, and will go a long way in allowing her to feel part of the process.

Please note: I certainly do not support child abuse, or complete giving over of care to gramma. Use your common sense... ya know?

For instance, my mother knows I breastfeed Sharlotte. My mother was never able to breastfeed her babies very long for various reasons... no support being at the top of the list - so she just gave up. Now that I'm breastfeeding (she did this with LO #1 too) at 4 months old she believes "it's time for SOLID FOOD dangit!" :dohh: "Your brother had solid food from 3 weeks old for goodness sake!"

The other day she slipped some icecream to Sharlotte (Icecream of all things!? :dohh:) I just held my tongue... No use getting into an argument. It wasn't a lot, and she's a gramma. I know my gramma did lots of stuff my mom didn't like ;)...

Anyway that's my advice.

Margerle - i no exactly where your coming from, me and my mum are very close and she helps me loads with maddi, since the day she was born (she was there at the birth) she comes over and looks after her while i wash my hair or do the ironing. it's great, and if they can, they can be fab support :)

it's OK to let someone come over and help you with the baby so that you can get in a shower and rest.

Mine would be 'enjoy it cos time flies wayyyyy to fast'

This is such a lovely thread thanks Toria x

Take too many photos! They grow way to fast and its easy to forget how tiny they were x

Got a few!

Mine would be to set a good bedtime routine as soon as you can! as someone else said (sorry don't remember who it was) me and 'us' (you and partner) time is very important. No matter how much help you get with your LO, it is mummy and daddy that will be the most tired and carry the stress.. communicating well with your partner and appreciating each other makes you much better able to cope with the sometimes stressful times. Sometimes all you need is a laugh to make a bad situation not feel so bad!

That leads on to my second point, keep a sense of humour when things get tough or you feel you can't cope one day! It's not forever, those tired feelings pass as soon as you get into the swing of things.

Last one, make the most of it! time goes too quickly. I always thought my mum was being OTT when she said "time goes too quickly, what happened to my little girl". It's only since having Bethanie that I have found myself agreeing completely and wishing id enjoyed it with her more - don't get me wrong, I have really enjoyed her and still do.. but next time round, I will appreciate the time a LOT more!!

im not sure how to word this...but mine would be to never feel ashamed of the feelings you might have if you have PND, and to ask for help, accept help, and take medication if needed. And understand and believe your not a bad mother, but you have an illness.
xxxx

Mine would be as Toria said... sleep as much as possible.... it helps us too. Its a big change becoming a mum and dont be afraid to take help when its offered/needed... it doesnt mean you are a failure xx

Mine would be too just enjoy it!!! Try starting a routine asap but don't worry if it doesn't go smoothly :)

Ans as others have said take a trillion & one pics! You'll never get this time back :)

mine is enjoy the time they grow so fast and prepare meals in advance such a godsend xxx

and accept help from ur family to we all need a little help x

Oh & also to ignore unhelpful comments from competitive parents

Example -
Competitive Parent - Does Maya sleep through yet?
Me - No
CP - Wow thats unusual, Blah blah slept through from day 1, you must be doing something wrong!!

CP - Hows the diet going?
Me - Awful
CP - Ohhh thats a shame, I lost my 4 stone pregnancy weight in a week. You should have more will power

Ive seriously had both of these converstaions!!

Mine would be "HAVE PATIENCE" u will need it through times of colic

Take many many pictures as they change so much from one day to the next

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"