If you have an ERF seat...

Gen79

Reaction score
I plan to get an ERF seat for our own car, however, what have you done about childminders and nursery!?

Ruby used to go to a CM and I just had to accept that she would do the very short journeys that they did in the CM's car in a FF seat. I was never comfortable with it but we couldn't afford to buy another ERF for her car.

I don't know about nursery, Ruby's never gone in a car during nursery time?

Ruby used to go to a CM and I just had to accept that she would do the very short journeys that they did in the CM's car in a FF seat. I was never comfortable with it but we couldn't afford to buy another ERF for her car.

I don't know about nursery, Ruby's never gone in a car during nursery time?

I thought nursery's sometimes take them on trips too. DH says we have to just accept it like you said. It makes me so nervous though! :nope:

The way I see it is, FF is safe but ERF is safer. Therefore when he's with his grandparents (main carers) he goes FF and although I prefer ERF we've already bought two and can't afford a third. He only does short journeys FF so I just try and forget about it. If I wasn't privileged enough to be able to afford to use ERF he'd be FF anyway. I'm sure your little one will be fine :hugs:

In the US, the daycare has to keep all babies/toddlers rear-facing until the age of 2. Its the law the for the daycares (or at least in minnesota)

My LO will ERF in my car, DH's car and MIL and FIL car as we all share 1 seat. In my parents car he will have to forward face but im uncomfortable with it. Currently he only weighs 8kg so cant anyway.

The way I see it is that ERF is safest so the majority of journies which happen with me, the kids will be ERF. When they are out with the childminder they will have to forward face, but at least I have cut the risk down as much as I realistically can. I only wish they would change the law in this country so that we don't have to make these kinds of compromises.

The way I see it is that ERF is safest so the majority of journies which happen with me, the kids will be ERF. When they are out with the childminder they will have to forward face, but at least I have cut the risk down as much as I realistically can. I only wish they would change the law in this country so that we don't have to make these kinds of compromises.

Yes! That would be great. Then the CM would have to have an ERF seat and I could tell her to put LO in it even past 2 as she'd have one anyway.

i think we've been quite lucky= in the even lyssa's nursery (when she was at one last year) would have to have taken her in the car for a trip, they would have requested her own car seat
and our childminder doesnt own a car
so no worries!

Here with a childminder, you usually have to provide a seat for them.

Ruby's CM did request a seat initially but then she had a spare one, obviously FF. There's no way on earth I could have dealt with installing the ERF seat into her car every morning and then putting it back into mine at the end of the day :(

It is a pain. I don't have a car so I am constantly taking my seat in and out of other peoples cars. You do get quick at it!

I'm completely daft at anything like installing car seats :blush: I wouldn't trust myself to do it right.

I'd love to put my seat in and never have to take the damn thing out again. Do you have tether straps there? So annoying!

Yes our seat has tether straps. That's my main issue with installing it!

My LO only really goes in one other car other than ours and that's my parents. We only see them every 3 months or so and as our ERF seat only fits our car, he has a FF seat for their car. If OH is around, we'll take my parents out in our car but if he's not (I can't drive) he goes in the FF seat. I couldn't afford two ERF seats. It's not ideal but for the vast majority of journeys he's in the ERF seat so I can live with it.

When my LO was with a childminder, I was lucky that she was small enough that she still fit in her infant carrier. Because she was still under 20lbs, she had to stay rear-facing anyway, so we just provided the carseat to my childminder (who only had a forward-facing one).

For nursery, if they take the kids on a trip, they request the carseat. They've only had one trip since Roo started there (instead of being at the childminder) and it was a day that Roo didn't attend nursery so we didn't have to figure it out. But what we'd probably do is give them my parents' Volvo (Britax) Multi-Tech. At this point, I don't know whether we'd stipulate rear-facing or not, it'd probably depend on the length of the trip as much as anything else.

We just got some spare tether straps ordered because I was so sick of moving the damn things between mine and DH's car. Now we are about to have two ERF seats and four sets of tether straps :)

ooh we also have spare tethers, saves alot of time!!! my mum has some permanently installed in her car for the rare occaision that she has lyss :)

I do in home daycare and have a ERF seat for every child under 3 in care. They are much cheaper here about 130$ and I just know I could never live with myself if anything happened so I have 3 complete airs that rear face and will until 40 lbs and 36 inches. All the kids I have ff in their parents cars though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->