Im a bit annoyed/worried

laurapinkloz

Pregnant
Reaction score
I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and first went to the doctors at 5 weeks. She said she would put details forward to the midwife and that I would hear from them. Last week I got a note through from the local midwife group saying they would contact me soon with a booking date and a on the info that came with it it said that I would have my first scan about 12/13 weeks.

Im a bit worried/annoyed about this after reading on here that many people have had scans at 6 weeks onwards. Why am I being left so late? The lack of support from the NHS is shocking!:growlmad: I have had no real contact from anyone with advice or help. I've had checks or anything. It has taken me over a year to get pregnant and I am just worried that something will happen

In my last pregnancy I had my scan app come thro first when I was just over 12 weeks, followed by my midwife app. These days they tend to leave it till as late as poss before seeing you. I havent' even bothered telling my gp yet. I'm gonna wait a few weeks. x

hi there

you will only get an early scan if you are unfortunate enough to have had problems such as a mc or a mmc, and even then you're not always entitled depending on where you live...although 12/13 weeks is a long time to wait to see your baby, it is standard.

congratulations on your pregnancy!

kristen xx

https://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev097pr___.png

Hi

with my 1st pregnancy. i didnt get scanned until i was 21 weeks
and i had early scans with this pregnancy due to them suspecting eptopic
and also due to a previous stillbirth and mmc and mc
and then every scan since has been a a follow up until i had my booking app
at 12+4 and had scan that day too

usually you dont get seen until 12wks if everything going ok..
but if there problems or anything wrong they may scan you early

You can always book a private scan for reassurance..

congrats and best of luck xx

that is standard im afraid. The mw wont see you until you are at least 8 weeks, and with the nhs you are only entitled to 2 scans, one at 12 weeks, and one at 20 weeks. People only have scans earlier than this if they have bleeding, or they pay to go privatley. xxx

Its standard practise I'm afraid.
My first appointment with my midwife was 2 days before my 12 week scan, and I was very lucky that my GP had argued on the phone on my behalf to get me an early scan as I'd miscarried so many times previously.
Its so hard waiting to see your baby for the first time, but you have to remember that as far as the NHS are concerned, scans are medical procedures, the NHS have no money blah blah blah..

It is much nicer to wait until 12 weeks to see your baby for the first time, as there isnt a lot to see before the 8/9 week period. When you get to 12 weeks at least it looks like a baby!

I only received early scans due to being admitted to hospital with a suspected extopic pregnancy.

My first "standard" scan was my booking scan at 12 weeks + 2.

As others have said, early scans are not always a good thing. I had a mmc and have not been offered an early scan this time as with no pain or bleeding there is no need to.
When I previously had early scans, it was too early to see anything and can sometimes lead to un needed stress, worry etc if you dont see anything.
This time Im looking forward to my 12 week scan (its actually booked for 11+3) and seeing an actual baby shape!!!

Same here - I have my booking in appointment with the mw next week at 10+2 and have the scan on 4th September at 11+5.

The letter for the scan came through before the mw contacted me to make her appointment.

DH and I would have loved to have a scan before 4th September, but it'd be £100+ and whilst that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, it's a lot for an additional scan to the one that we will get for free 2 weeks tomorrow.

x

My LMP was 28th April which makes me about 16 weeks in theory (I don't think I am that far due to irregular periods but I could be!)

I have not even seen a Midwife yet and who knows when I will get a scan! Maybe when I am giving birth!

I only received early scans due to being admitted to hospital with a suspected extopic pregnancy.

My first "standard" scan was my booking scan at 12 weeks + 2.

same with me, 12 weeks is standard i had my 1st scan @ 13 + 3 with emily

try not to worry xx

I had an early scan due to being higher risk of a tubal pregnancy and also a private scan that we paid for.
The midwife wont see you until at least 9 weeks unless you have had 3 or more miscarriages.

A few years ago they didn't do dating scans so i think we are lucky to get one :)

I had an early scan at 9+3, but it was a dating scan - becaues I had NO idea how far gone I was....
I do believe that a 12 week scan is not 'standard' either. It's a 'Nuchal' scan, which is only done if you are checking the risk of Downs Syndrome etc.??

I had an early scan around 8 weeks because I'm having a nuchal test done due to my age and you have to get it done at the right time and they wanted to make sure my dates were right. Otherwise, my first scan would have been at 12 weeks.

Yeah I'm having my 1st scan when I'm 12+3 x

Last time I was pregnant I had an emergency scan when i was 6 weeks and I could see nothing even when it was fine!!

So I'm actually pleased to wait 12 weeks (well a bit! lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->