Im a bit annoyed/worried

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by laurapinkloz, Aug 20, 2009.

1. laurapinkloz

laurapinkloz Pregnant

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and first went to the doctors at 5 weeks. She said she would put details forward to the midwife and that I would hear from them. Last week I got a note through from the local midwife group saying they would contact me soon with a booking date and a on the info that came with it it said that I would have my first scan about 12/13 weeks.

Im a bit worried/annoyed about this after reading on here that many people have had scans at 6 weeks onwards. Why am I being left so late? The lack of support from the NHS is shocking!:growlmad: I have had no real contact from anyone with advice or help. I've had checks or anything. It has taken me over a year to get pregnant and I am just worried that something will happen

2. saffy1978

saffy1978 Mummy to 5!

In my last pregnancy I had my scan app come thro first when I was just over 12 weeks, followed by my midwife app. These days they tend to leave it till as late as poss before seeing you. I havent' even bothered telling my gp yet. I'm gonna wait a few weeks. x

3. kristen77

kristen77 Well-Known Member

hi there

you will only get an early scan if you are unfortunate enough to have had problems such as a mc or a mmc, and even then you're not always entitled depending on where you live...although 12/13 weeks is a long time to wait to see your baby, it is standard.

congratulations on your pregnancy!

kristen xx

[​IMG]

4. MiissDior

MiissDior Mommy of 3(1 in heaven)

Hi

with my 1st pregnancy. i didnt get scanned until i was 21 weeks
    and i had early scans with this pregnancy due to them suspecting eptopic
    and also due to a previous stillbirth and mmc and mc
    and then every scan since has been a a follow up until i had my booking app
    at 12+4 and had scan that day too

usually you dont get seen until 12wks if everything going ok..
    but if there problems or anything wrong they may scan you early

You can always book a private scan for reassurance..

congrats and best of luck xx

5. kayleigh&bump

kayleigh&bump Mum to Finnley & TTC #2

that is standard im afraid. The mw wont see you until you are at least 8 weeks, and with the nhs you are only entitled to 2 scans, one at 12 weeks, and one at 20 weeks. People only have scans earlier than this if they have bleeding, or they pay to go privatley. xxx

6. GersPrincess

GersPrincess Mummy of 3, soon to be 4!

Its standard practise I'm afraid.
    My first appointment with my midwife was 2 days before my 12 week scan, and I was very lucky that my GP had argued on the phone on my behalf to get me an early scan as I'd miscarried so many times previously.
    Its so hard waiting to see your baby for the first time, but you have to remember that as far as the NHS are concerned, scans are medical procedures, the NHS have no money blah blah blah..

It is much nicer to wait until 12 weeks to see your baby for the first time, as there isnt a lot to see before the 8/9 week period. When you get to 12 weeks at least it looks like a baby!

7. teal

teal Well-Known Member

I only received early scans due to being admitted to hospital with a suspected extopic pregnancy.

My first "standard" scan was my booking scan at 12 weeks + 2.

8. minichicky

minichicky mummy to isaac

As others have said, early scans are not always a good thing. I had a mmc and have not been offered an early scan this time as with no pain or bleeding there is no need to.
    When I previously had early scans, it was too early to see anything and can sometimes lead to un needed stress, worry etc if you dont see anything.
    This time Im looking forward to my 12 week scan (its actually booked for 11+3) and seeing an actual baby shape!!!

9. girl friday

girl friday Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys

Same here - I have my booking in appointment with the mw next week at 10+2 and have the scan on 4th September at 11+5.

The letter for the scan came through before the mw contacted me to make her appointment.

DH and I would have loved to have a scan before 4th September, but it'd be £100+ and whilst that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, it's a lot for an additional scan to the one that we will get for free 2 weeks tomorrow.

x

10. bluecathy1978

bluecathy1978 Mum to 6 kids & 2 angels

My LMP was 28th April which makes me about 16 weeks in theory (I don't think I am that far due to irregular periods but I could be!)

I have not even seen a Midwife yet and who knows when I will get a scan! Maybe when I am giving birth!

11. starbucks101

starbucks101 Well-Known Member

same with me, 12 weeks is standard i had my 1st scan @ 13 + 3 with emily

try not to worry xx

12. AimeeM

AimeeM Mum to 3 Boys.

I had an early scan due to being higher risk of a tubal pregnancy and also a private scan that we paid for.
    The midwife wont see you until at least 9 weeks unless you have had 3 or more miscarriages.

A few years ago they didn't do dating scans so i think we are lucky to get one :)

13. BabyHaines

BabyHaines Mummy to baby George!!

I had an early scan at 9+3, but it was a dating scan - becaues I had NO idea how far gone I was....
    I do believe that a 12 week scan is not 'standard' either. It's a 'Nuchal' scan, which is only done if you are checking the risk of Downs Syndrome etc.??

14. Seity

Seity Mom to Gabriel and Samuel

I had an early scan around 8 weeks because I'm having a nuchal test done due to my age and you have to get it done at the right time and they wanted to make sure my dates were right. Otherwise, my first scan would have been at 12 weeks.

15. sarahhoney

sarahhoney Mummy to Dylan

Yeah I'm having my 1st scan when I'm 12+3 x

Last time I was pregnant I had an emergency scan when i was 6 weeks and I could see nothing even when it was fine!!

So I'm actually pleased to wait 12 weeks (well a bit! lol)