I'm Disgusted 2 B a Canadian

C

cinnamongirl

Toronto Star Article: Employers Fire Mothers-To-Be

Shocking and Sad.

Since I've been out of work since November, I have not been able to find work. I became preg in January, and now am starting to show. No one will hire me since I have to disclose that I am preg 15 weeks b4 leaving, and I am quickly running out of time. I'm gonna get to the point of having to declare in an interview and not getting hired. I am terrified that I cannot find work to qualify for maternity leave, and if that's the case, then there is nothing else to help us out. I do not qualify for social assistance because my OH works.

What a sad state this country has become. With a lower birth rate than death rate, you'd think they'd be encouraging us to replace the aging labour force, even through the recession...

Makes me sad to be a Canadian.

:hug::hug::hug:

Oh hun:hugs:
I don't know what sort of job you are looking for, but have you been thinking about working somewhere temporarely (sp?). Like in a supermarket in a check out? Here in UK they always are looking for people for jobs like that.
At least you you will have some sort of maternity pay...
(Btw, I have nothing against working in supermarkets, I worked in one myself when I was in uni)

At this point, I'm willing to juggle on the street as long as there's money in it!! lol!

I've been a temp for years now, and have my resume in at all of them...just really dry right now. Still hopeful though...I have to be!

AGREED!!! I live in Brampton (about 30 min from Toronto) and was laid off on Wednesday at 23 weeks pregnant. It was because of the 'economy'. I saw that article and almost cried realizing how many people this has happened to. :( it is absolutely unacceptable that hard working, mothers to be are being given this type of treatment and added stress at what should be the most joyous time of their lives. :(

I know what u mean!!! This should be the happiest time of my life, and instead I get to stress out and worry all day long! Yippee!

I'd just like to :finger: to the government!

But, we're women! We've ALWAYS had to take care of ourselves and our families, and I'm sure this will just make us all stronger :bodyb: so we can kick some ass!

That is absolutely revolting!! Thank goodness word is spreading about it, some action has to be taken! I am beyond words in my disgust for such employers!

AGREED!!! I live in Brampton (about 30 min from Toronto) and was laid off on Wednesday at 23 weeks pregnant. It was because of the 'economy'. I saw that article and almost cried realizing how many people this has happened to. :( it is absolutely unacceptable that hard working, mothers to be are being given this type of treatment and added stress at what should be the most joyous time of their lives. :(

Unbelievable! Surely that can't be legal?

Unbelievable! Surely that can't be legal?

Well, I know the company's struggling so I guess it's anyone's guess....:(

This has nothing to do with being a "Canadian" it has to do with ignorant employers who don't know employees rights. It can happen anywhere. The companies need to be brought to task over it. It is not legal in Canada to do these things. If you lay off an employee no matter what the reason the company is legally required to re-hire that same employee if the job opens up again. It is not legal to lay off an employee for pregnancy or any medical reason. If an employee can prove that they were laid off for pregnancy or medical reasons than the company can be charged with wrongful dismissal of that employee.

I know you must be frustrated, but I'm sorry that you're disgusted to be canadian.

lol! Well...I guess not so much disgusted to be a Canadian, more like disgusted that this kind of thing is happening in our country and there doesn't seem to be anything that's being done to correct it.

I feel ashamed in our government right now...so, I guess I spoke a little strongly earlier, but it doesn't change how I feel about it.

I would've hoped that this kind of discrimination wouldn't be happening anywhere, but that is just too naive! I feel for others who are in a similar situation, and those who are worse off. I sincerely hope that the outcry over this will reach the ears of those who make the decisions.

I don't think the employers are ignorant of employees' rights ; I think they're just hoping that the employees they're doing this to don't have the balls to stand up for themselves or that the employees are unaware of their rights or how to go about finding justice.

It's tough, we've got these laws to protect us but they can't really prove an employer is lying if they come up with another reason for firing you..

I can totally sympathize with those looking for new jobs whilst pregnant.. it's impossible! I mean who's going to hire and train someone who is just gonna leave them needing to find a replacement within a couple of months.. while it's not fair businesses are about making money, not being nice :(

This might sound kinda stupid, but I wonder if any kind of maternity store would hire you? You'd be able to model the clothes pretty well!

This has nothing to do with being a "Canadian" it has to do with ignorant employers who don't know employees rights. It can happen anywhere. The companies need to be brought to task over it. It is not legal in Canada to do these things. If you lay off an employee no matter what the reason the company is legally required to re-hire that same employee if the job opens up again. It is not legal to lay off an employee for pregnancy or any medical reason. If an employee can prove that they were laid off for pregnancy or medical reasons than the company can be charged with wrongful dismissal of that employee.

I agree! There are some shitty things that employers seem to be at times allowed to get away with....but there are a LOT of great things about being a canadian. I'm sure you'll find some help somewhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->