I'm going to refuse a sweep

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by HollieQ, Nov 15, 2011.

1. HollieQ

HollieQ Well-Known Member

Has anybody else not wanted a sweep? And refused one, are you allowed to? :wacko:

As my due date nears I'm worried they're going to start to tell me I should have a sweep but I really don't want one. My dh can't be with me as he has to work so I'll be on my own and I just dread the thought, I'm not sure what it is and why, i'm not scared about actual labour?! Just the thought of an internal...then the fact it might not even work anyway, just make me uncomfortable then bleed...

:nope:

2. MrsGreen

MrsGreen Expecting #2

I think you are allowed to do or not do whatever you want. As for the sweep, I heard it is uncomfortable for some and painful for others. I think it depends on your md and if they are gentle. Have you been checked before? I had one md check me when I was in preterm labor and it was awful. My poor husband witnessed it and he was not thrilled. My new md is really gentle. I barely feel it now compared to how it was that one time.
    I would tell your md your concerns, he/she will put you at ease. :) good luck

3. HollieQ

HollieQ Well-Known Member

thank you xxx I've never been examined apart from when I had the internal camera after my mc, which was just horrendous, the midwife was awful, so cold towards me and there was a male student watching. I was in floods of tears throughout, my dh looked so helpless, and with your legs in the stirrups like that, the awful sight on the screen...maybe that's what's making me so nervous more than anything.

My midwife is lovely, might just see how i feel on the day.

Yeah i see what you're saying. I guess it's similar to smears, my last one the nurse was so gentle i didn't feel hardly anything.

4. MrsGreen

MrsGreen Expecting #2

Honestly I have been checked so many times in the past week due to preterm labor. I hated it when I was at the md office. I always get scared, but now its ok. I still dont like it, but im used to it. I just kinda of figure when I go see my md or anything that someone will be proding around in there. I guess I have to get used to it though because im 30w3d and im already dilated to 1cm/fingertip and my cervix is soft. Im on bedrest but luckily my md told me today when I can go off of it!!! 32 days and counting!

Just remember to relax when and if you decide to go for it. I read somewhere that breathing in though your nose and out through your mouth helps focus on other things if it does hurt. You can always talk to them first and let them know if you say stop, they need to stop. Having some control will probably help you too :)

5. Lucluc

Lucluc Well-Known Member

I refused a sweep last week at 40 weeks, should have one today but thinking I will not go for it, will try dtd with my oh instead. If you don't feel like it and not ready no one can force you. Good luck :)

6. Twinkles

Twinkles Well-Known Member

I also declined a sweep, i was "allowed" to have them from this week on but said no to my mid wife yesterday. I have had sweeps before, with my first baby and i personally feel that my body wasnt ready for the sweeps which caused my waters to break prematurely, resulting in induction and ultimately an emergency c-section.

This time i want to be left alone and wait for my body to do things naturally so that i have a real opportunity at a VBAC.

That said, i didnt find the sweeps painful at all, just uncomfortable.

My best friend has just had her baby though, she received 3 sweeps, starting from 39 weeks as her husband was due back at sea, 3rd time was a charm, labour started, then slowed, they put her on the drip and an hour and a half later her little girl was born, so in her case it all worked out great. She needed no further intervention and had her baby with a few puffs of gas and air! She had been losing bits of plug all week though and i think her body was ready for it!

Trust your instincts and do what you feel is right for you. xx

7. jadesh101

jadesh101 Keira&Seren

had my second sweep yesterday, a little uncomfy but honestly they are fine. xx

8. K2785

K2785 Mummy to Lilli and Maisy

I have my first sweep Friday.. And I'm a tad nervous as I have to go on my own... But I just want to see if it works as I really really don't want to be induced this time as I found that painful xxx

9. babyhopes2010

babyhopes2010 one boy one girl.perfect!

i dont like the idea of a sweep,which im having tommorow but i hate the idea of induction even more x

10. Belle25

Belle25 Guest

My sweep with my daughter was fine-it got things going pretty fast and I am sure it helped me dilate faster, meaning a shorter labour.

Will have one this time as soon as I can as I am impatient!

You have to do what your comfortable with, its your body and no one is going to judge you for your choice. :flower:
    xx

11. cinnamum

cinnamum Mumof_6_PREG W#7

my sweep went fine i was really pleased i had one but i was ready and losing my plug everyday bit by bit, was also over 40 weeks.
    do what you're comfortable with xxxxx

12. ProudMum

ProudMum Well-Known Member

I have had about 4 sweeps with my last 2 pregnancies... I wont be having any with my 3rd. Definitely not.

13. sopho

sopho Mother of 3 expecting #4

I had a sweep saturday, the midwife was so lovely, i didnt let oh in as i didnt want him seeing that !! but there were 2 lovely midwifes, one held my hand and talked me through it, was not as bad as i though. didnt hurt at all. just embarrassing and a little uncomfy.. got home and fely quite achy so 2 paracetamol later an 2 hours sleep i was fine... hasnt really done anything tho, lost my plug the next day but nothing since, getting induced 2mora at 13 days over due :-(