I'm gonna have a big fat baby!

channy3232

Reaction score
LOL I was expecting him to be big anyway because my husband and I are both big people but I had an ultrasound Wednesday and the tech told me he was 4lbs 14oz which is big for 31 weeks. So I called my dr office today to give them my sugar levels and the nurse said oh I have your ultrasound report here too. It says "adequate growth. Large for gestational age. Probability of macrosomia". Ahhhh I know what macrosomia means but the fact that they used a medical term for "big fat baby" kinda scares me!!
Has anyone else gone through this? Were you induced early? Did they let you go full term? C-section??
I'm hoping they will induce if he gets too big. I don't want it to get to the point where I go full term and he's so big I can't get him out and they have to break his collar bone (I know someone that happened to)

Hey hun! I'm growing a big baby too, she is measuring what she should at 33 weeks at her 32 week progress ultrasound. They estimated her weight to be 2kg or 4.4pounds, so they said if I went to 40 weeks she would be just over the average which is 7pound 3 ounces, so I'm expecting a baby around the 8 pound mark. I'm sure bubs isn't too big, maybe a 9 pounder??

my friend was measuring on date and just had a 10 pound baby:rofl:

Yikes!!! Imagine having like a 12 pound

Yeah I figure at least 9 pounder. LOL he's gonna be a chubber! Like I said I think because they used an actual medical term and didn't just say "big baby" kinda scared me. When the nurse said probability of macrosomia I was like omg what does that mean??!! LOL

How do you know how big your baby is?? I would like to know for mine :-( Do you have to have an ultrasound or there's other ways that I can ask to my next m/w app?? It's one of my biggest question marks lol!!!

Yep you get an ultrasound and they measure your baby to get an estimate on weight. it can range though so it can be off some. My baby was 4.8 pounds I think at 34 weeks about.

Can I ask for an ultrasound or if I'm healthy I don't get one??!

You have never had one????????????? or do you mean you only maybe had one? My doctor sends us to like 3 depending. I had three previous pregnancies and out of those three 2 were perfectly healthy and I still had about 3 ultrasounds each. My second daughter I had placenta previa so i needed to be watched more then normal. With this pregnancy I have had 4 so far, but the most recent one is because of diabetes.

No, actually in Uk, you only have 2 scan normally, the last one is around 20-22 weeks which I had but now at 34 weeks, I would like to know his size!!
In france (where I come from) you do have 3 but here I think if you're healthy, you don't get it :-( I will still ask on Thursday (my next app) if they can get me one... You'll never know, with a big smile, it can work lol!!

yeah I would have only had 2, one being internal at my first appt. Then 20 weeks. Since I developed gestational diabetes I'm getting more. Women with GD tend to have bigger babies so they will do more ultrasounds to keep an eye on the size of the baby. My dr wants me to have another one in 4 weeks. He is measuring 4 lbs 4 oz at 31 weeks!! Ahhhh!!! I'm just concerned about the possibility of a c-section or complications vaginally because he's gonna be big.

Janis, how is your diet going?? Mine is pretty much under control. Had a few high days. Our anniversary was last week and we went to dinner and I had dessert. :)

Diet is ok the past week but i ended up having two bad levels. It seems the things i am eating started to not work? I ended up with high sugar on a breakfast i normally eat and get good sugar levels from. I am so annoyed. No meds though Wooot thank god!!! :D She said something about me being close so there is no point and plus the diet still looks to be under good control considering the 2 high levels in 7 days. Happy late anniversary. We celebrated ours too a little over a week ago :D Ours was march 16th though. 10 years yikes and I had chinese buffet. Feels nice to splurge some. I am glad you got to have desert. You deserved it! I was lucky at my last scan baby wasn't affected by the diabetes. I do hope on the 14th they say the same thing. When are you being induced if you are? I might not be because of good control. All depends I guess on how my levels are this week maybe...

No, actually in Uk, you only have 2 scan normally, the last one is around 20-22 weeks which I had but now at 34 weeks, I would like to know his size!!
In france (where I come from) you do have 3 but here I think if you're healthy, you don't get it :-( I will still ask on Thursday (my next app) if they can get me one... You'll never know, with a big smile, it can work lol!!

Aww I hope you get one hun. I got my estimate on birth weight at my 34 week one. Good luck!

Omg I'm having the same problem!! I started getting high numbers after breakfast! I didn't talk to my nurse about it but a lady at work that is diabetic said eventually foods can "stop working" I've been eating an "English muffin" and two slices of "Canadian bacon". LOL what do they call English muffins in England and do you call Canadian bacon Canadian bacon in Canada?? LOL I was getting high numbers. I started eating yogurt and some crackers and the past few days I've been ok.
I think baby was going to be big anyway but now I'm really going to be strict on what I eat. I don't want him to be an 11 pounder!

And happy anniversay!! Ours was march 31. 2 years! :)

I reduced my "sweet tooth" habit big time too, just in case!! I so don't want a 10 pounder lol!!
I only drink water now (allowing myself 1 glass of fiz/ day) and I don't why but I'm on a cream crackers spree... I can go trough one pack a day, I eat them just plain lol!! This baby has weird taste lol!!

Yeah I ended up dehydrated at about 21 weeks and was having heart palpatations. Doc said it was dehydration and too much caffeine. I've always drank diet soda so I've been allowing myself a soda or two every few days. Other than that, allllllll water!

As long as everything is whole wheat (slows digestion process) and you dont eat the breads with meals or fruits with meals they should be decent levels. Though mine are going nuts and I just think well sometimes you cant help it. I think an english muffin would make my levels go up in the mornings. My mornings are my bad times.. Haha yea though us canadians do eat real bacon it's not actually ham slices or whatever. It's funny how we have a ham called canadian bacon though..

Heres what i eat as an example which has went bonkers once in awhile.

Breakfast: 1/2 up original Oatmeal+ 2%milk+ splenda and a decafe coffee with 2%milk.. used to have it with one whole wheat toast but then my sugars started to go bad so i now just eat the oatmeal for breaky which worked for one week.. Today my sugars went bad with just the oatmeal.... It was very odd. Now I don't know what to do lol

Snack: yogurt and cheese

Lunch: 1 whole wheat with egg, may and onions. Decafe + milk, Some kind of veggies.

Snack: Cheese and whole wheat crackers

Dinner: Chicken, whole wheat rice or pasta and lots of greenie veggies.

Snack: I have to eat meat or some kind of protien because of my low sugars and high keytones in the morning :(

I only eat fruits at snack time since it can make your levels to high at meal time.

you know whats odd. I have went to a chinese buffet every week still even since knowing about my diabetes and it doesn't affect my sugars but yet my 1/2 cup of oatmeal will. You can tell we are diabetic I guess and just sometimes it's hard to do anything about it.

Yeah I ended up dehydrated at about 21 weeks and was having heart palpatations. Doc said it was dehydration and too much caffeine. I've always drank diet soda so I've been allowing myself a soda or two every few days. Other than that, allllllll water!

I loveeeeeeee caffien. But since being pregnant now im hooked to decafe thankfully. I am a huge hot drink drinker but learned my lesson when I had contractions too early from dehydration.

off to bed for me. Have an early appointment tomorrow then it's home I go. Wont have net at home till thursday though :( :(

hugs

i have just turned 33 weeks. about 2 weeks ago i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and have been put on insulin. because of this i had an up to date scan last tues and was told my babys estimate weight at present is 5lbs 11ozs!!!
i have been told more likely to be induced 3 weeks early but am having another scan 12th may to find out.

My baby girl was estimated between 1.6kg and 1.8kg at 30 weeks :baby:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"