I'm joining you next month - I'v got questions!

apple84

Reaction score
Hi, I've been hanging out in the WTT forum, but as DH and I have decided to start TTC in May:happydance:, so I thought I'd come and introduce myself as well as get a little advice.

I'm a 24 years old Canadian teacher and my husband is 31. We'll be married 2 yrs in July. We had a difficult time choosing to TTC because I don't yet have a permanent teaching position, but we finally decided that we don't absolutely need the second income, so we're going ahead with TTC. I might still get a permanent position before I go on maternity leave anyways, but we decided we're ok with it if I don't.

Questions: We've already started eating well and taking vitamins, but when should..

- DH stop using hot tubs, wearing tight underwear...
- I stop drinking alcohol (I only drink a little anyways) and coffee?

We have Easter dinners coming up next weekend and we're going to a wedding May 1 and I'm afraid I'll look suspicious if I don't drink (I don't want anyone to think I'm prego). We plan on TTC after my period in May (so around May 12).

Any other tips of what I should do before TTC?

well, first, DH should stop with the hot tubs IMMEDIATELY!!! if they do get hot enough to kill the spermies, it can take 45 days for his body to fully regenerate them. as for the coffee, it is associated with miscarriage, and also might affect implantation. so the coffee and alcohol should be put on hold during your 2ww. and kept to a minimum at other times. other than that, just try to take it easy, don't fret to much about it. and when it comes to the "perfect" time to have a baby, there never is one! so just go for it. good luck. :dust:

Hello and welcome aboard! Hope your stay in this part of BnB would be short & pleasant! I totally agree with Mammag - your DH would stop the hot tubs asap. Hot tubs are an absolute no-no! He should also start switching to looser underwear or boxers. Some men just take a little time to get used to "hanging it loose" so you might want to prepare him in advance! It's said that men taking cold showers (I know it's hard esp during freezing nights) helps.

Your DH and you might also want to consider taking some vitamins to boost your fetility health. Pre-natal vitamins is recommended for you although you can also take a cocktail of various vitamins if you want to be more specific. Vitamins such as B-complex, Evening Primrose Oil, folic acid (very important in preventing birth defects), Vitc C & E. Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) should ONLY be taken from menstruation to ovulation. Once you've ovulated, stop EPO as it can cause uterine contractions & may cause complications if you do fall pregnant. EPO is good for producing fertile cervical mucus, which aid your DH's swimmers! Grapefruit juice & green tea also helps, but limit the green tea as it contains caffeine. Green tea should also not be taken after you've ovulated as it absorbs folic acid. Oh yes, and do stay away from soy products as too much of soy hinders fertility!

Your DH could start taking more zinc & Vit E as both promotes healthy sperm production.

Are you considering taking up temping or OPK testing? Or would you prefer to start off natural? :)

:hi: and welcome hope your stay is a short one....:hugs:

It takes 3months for the full sperm cycle so hubby needs to be getting ready now!
If you don't drink much don't worry and just cut down on the caffine. Lots of people don't drink in the 2ww but you can in moderation.
Good luck!

3 months for DH? Good thing he hasn't been in any hotubs lately! He's been taking a regular multivitamin as well as omega-3 and zinc. I didn't know about the vit E, but I have some so I'll suggest that too.

I do have OPK, but no special thermometer. I think for the first cycle we'll just BD every other day after my period. I'm hoping that will be enough *fingers crossed*

DH is so naive...he's convinced it will just take one month to get pg. After being on this forum it seems like it rarely takes just one month.

DH is so naive...he's convinced it will just take one month to get pg. After being on this forum it seems like it rarely takes just one month.

How many of us (and OHs) have mistakenly thought that though? Other people (most of whom aren't planning to have kids at the time) do it so easily, but those of us who want it can't seem to manage it.

Life's a b***h sometimes, ah well, at least it's fun to try x

Hahaha, yes agreed! My DH thought it would be a piece of cake once I've got off the pill, but no no no ... it's been a trying 3 cycles for us so far! After the 1st cycle (and nothing), he did take his words back that it sure ain't that easy getting knocked up! I guess it's true that fertility's the highest when you're a clueless teenager! How ironic!

I agree with the 3 months for sperm - I read 72 days or something like that. I have DH on zinc, vit. c and multivitamin and he has lowered his alchohol. I am off caffiene just because I decided I needed to quit sometime- might as well be now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->