Im pretty much terrified

kimfrye661

Reaction score
I've been reading stories about labor for the past hour and im terrified. Since I was little ive had a very bad phobia of throwing up, luckily though I haven't thrown up once since i've been pregnant. (20 weeks and 4 days today)
Well, ive been reading that it is very common to throw up during labor. Wonderful. I figured that this was a chance thing that happens to just some women, but almost every story ive read talks about vomiting.

Is there anyway to avoid that? I know it sounds so ridiculous, and it probably is, but it is such a huge phobia with me.:( I haven't thrown up in a good 2-3 years and I just want to keep it that way, lol.

Any words of advice or kindness would help tons, im just really freaking out.

To Be honest.... I have no idea of how to avoid it. You body goes through a ton when you are in labor. It was almost as if in between contractions I would be sleeping, wake up throw up, then right back to sleep. If it happens to you, so much more will be happening that you may not be as nervous about it as you are now. I didnt read anything about labor prior to being induced so I had no clue what was coming.

Dont freak out - it will all work out.

i was sick all the way through my pregnancy, but i wasn't actually sick in labour. tbh i wouldn't no how to avoid it, but if you are, you probably wont worry too much when you're actually labouring. i worried loads about having maddi, and it wasn't as bad as i thought, and i had 40hours and an emergency c-section, often it doesn't go how you expect :hugs: x

I threw up.. I was afraid to, but it felt so good once I got it out of me. Okay I actually threw up 3 times I think, it was like greenish yellow liquid.. gross, got in my hair.. but did not care at that point (I was pushing).. so while it's not fair to say don't worry about it, lol.. try not to worry TOO much!! I don't think you can avoid it.. some do it, some don't! :)

I didn't throw up! And I love throwing up (hahah that makes me sound so sick) I just have no problem with it because I usually instantly feel better. Anyways, I am not sure your hospital policy, but once you are in labour you cannot eat here, so maybe that helped me not barf...not having anything to barf.

the only time i have heard of ppl being sick in labour is if they have PETHADINE as pain relief and the MW doesnt give the counter sickness drug.

i too had this phobia before i got pregnant.. i was unlucky enough to get hyperemesis and have been sick every singe day since november 6th :-( sometimes up to 20 times a day at the peak! i have to say, for me, its the thought of it that was scary, once i was actualy throwing up, i was ok, and would often find myself thinking 'this iswhatnt so bad after all'! what im actually trying to say is to try not to worry about it too much, if it happens, no one around you will mind, and hopefully if you are sick, you will feel better after it, and it wont be so bad as you are imagining.. i think sometimes the fear and anxiety about being sick serves to make you feel sicker too... so maybe if you make a deal with yourself that while you are in labour, its ok to be sick if you need too, then it wont be such an issue and might not happen! i hope that doesnt sound patronisiing... i know how scary it is!

I wasn't sick during labour. After I had delivered baby and placenta and had been sitting up for a bit, I felt a wave of morning sickness and was sick. Was just the water I had been drinking, and just one bout. I was induced so not allowed to eat.

Afterwards I felt fine, starving but fine. The midwives know to wait until after mum has been sick, then they bring in the tea and toast.

It's not like when you have a tummy bug, it's just bleurgh and it's there.

Don't think too much about it as it really isn't that big a deal.

ETA, I also have a phobia of vomit, more other people vomiting since I have been pregnant and had to deal with being sick.

I reckon there's likely to be goo flying out of every orifice (sorry TMI!) just part of the joy!

Just remember it's only temporary then you have a lovely little baby in your life!

If you feel your phobia is really bad, maybe your GP can help, or hyponotherapy maybe? I'm sure you'll get though it just fine - it's amazing what you can cope with when it comes down to it!

xx

Thanks..:) I don't know why im so scared of it, but I just hate throwing up...yuck!

I hate throwing up too it's horrid. I was sick during both my first pregnancies with morning sickness and then after giving birth. I'm not at the morning sickness stage with this one yet, but I'm absolutely dreading it :cry:

When you give birth your body just takes over and your mind isn't quite all there! Everything just comes into its own so chances are you'll not even be thinking about it if you do throw up. I know alot of people can feel sick with the gas and air or the pethadine injection but they do actually give you an injection to try to prevent you being sick. I found gas and air great and if anyone feels sick from some form of intoxication it'll be me (2 glasses of wine and I'm feelign terrible!!!)

Try not to worry about it though, just relax. I love having babies it's the most exciting thing you can ever go through and you very quickly forget about all the sickness!

I'm terrified of throwing up, too. I can't even have anyone near me gag because it scares me and then I start panicing and its not good. But luckily for me I didn't have morning sickness with my first pregnancy, haven't had it at all with this one, and didn't get sick during labor with my son. So I guess I'm pretty lucky. The only thing I can really say that might help, is that if you panic and think about getting sick, you probably will. I always just try to relax, breathe slowly, and think about something else. It's worked for me so far as I haven't thrown up in a good 5 years. And another thing is even if you do get sick during labor, you probably will be too preoccupied to notice or remember.

I never had morning sickness when I was pregnant. And I was never sick during labour.

Some people react different to different pain-reliefs. Some feel sick off gas and air, some don't. It just depends on the person.

You should be fine. You'll not be bothered about being sick once you know you're meeting your little baby. It won't cross your mind. :) :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->