I'm Rh negative; husband positive...

me222

Reaction score
I'm A- and my Dh is B+. Dr says as long as my aantibodies levels are good-all us fine. But, naturopath says to get rhypholac injections if Dh is positive. Better to be safe than sorry. Think I'll book in to see an ob and ask his advice. Others out there gone through/going through this?

In the U.K. all rhesus negative mothers are advised to have prophylactic anti-d, at the moment this is done at around 28 weeks and again after delivery if the baby is rh positive. They are also advised to have an additional dose if they have any potentially sensitising events such as bleeding, a fall or abdominal trauma. I would definitely get a second opinion from an obstetrician.

Yes, it's my understanding that if you are negative and the father is positive, you will need the injection at some point! Definitely get a second opinion to make sure you're protecting yourself and your baby.

My mother is Rh- and father Rh+, she never had injections because she was told that it doesn't affect the first baby.

In US they give you the injection regardless in the event your blood mixes by some chance when you're giving birth. I would be on the safe side and have another discussion with your OB.

Although the problems don't start with a first baby you should still be treated in all pregnancies. If your baby is rh pos and your blood mixes and you form antibodies that can't be undone, so the injection stops antibodies forming. The first baby only isn't affected because it takes a while for the antibodies to develop.

Some areas may still only give the injection after bleeding/falls/trauma beyond 12 weeks, but there is now evidence that a prophylactic dose in pregnancy is beneficial. If your baby is rh neg it's not necessary to be treated, but you won't know it's blood group until it's born.

Did you get the anti d shot after your miscarriage?

In Australia, my experience has been you will have the shot with any bleeding (including in the first tri), spotting, miscarriage, and at some stage later on in the pregnancy in case of silent bleeds (can't remember which week.. possibly 28 weeks?) and again after birth if the baby is rh positive.

You shouldn't need it early on unless you experience any spotting or bleeding.

I'm from Australia so my experience was the same as MummaBear16 above.

Agree with pp that in uk all mums are treated and to be honest why would anybody run the risk of not getting the injections if you have the choice. Also regarding mc I was told I didn't need the anti d injection as my pregnancy wasn't far enough along (I mc at 10 weeks) so you might not have needed it then

Hi there,

I'm A rh- and my ex is O rh+ I had a MMC with my first and they gave me the Anti d injection afterwards. Then with my second pregnancy with dd I had a bleed at 20 weeks and I had the Anti d then, as well as at 28 weeks and after birth. I had it again at 28 weeks and after birth with my ds. I think it's better to be safe than sorry and ask about it especially if you've had a MC and didn't have one then.

I'm - and our donor is +. If you start spotting at all you'll need to phone your doctor immediately as you'll need a rhogam shot. If you don't spot they'll just give you one in the 3rd tri. It's nothing serious. :)

I'm O+ so I didn't have to worry but my good friend had an abortion and 2 previous miscarriages and she was rh- and miscarried this pregnancy at 7 weeks and the doctors told her it was a direct result of not having the shot after her abortion/miscarriages. As pp's have said better safe than sorry.

I'm o- my partner is o+ I didn't have an injection after my miscarriage before my son but I didn't know my blood type then.
I had to have the anti d at 28 weeks with my son but luckily he's o- too so I didn't have to have it after birth, hopefully this baby will take after me as well!

Can I ask a silly question? I am B- and DH and I are not 100% if he's positive or negative. We just know he's O. We have already had one child together.

Neither then nor now (and I have a different OB this time) have either doctors mentioned anything about getting an injection or any concern.
I'm reading this now and, if I'm correct, if DH is O+, there is some cause for some real concern here. Why hasn't it been mentioned to us? Nobody has so much as asked for DHs blood type.

This issue would be if your DH is O+.

Basically the concern if the baby is Rh+ when the mother is Rh-. The concern is that if the blood comes in contact with each other the mother can develop antibodies that, in a sense, attack the baby and future Rh+ pregnancies (increasing your risk of future miscarriages). That's why if there's any bleeding or risk of contact (such as childbirth) you have to have the rhogam shot that prevents the mother from developing any antibodies. It would definitely be worth speaking to your OB about, but it's not something that's GUARANTEED to happen. There's just a risk of it.

(some of this information may be a little off. This is going off of memory. But the main gist of it is what I've been told by my medical provider)

So DH is fairly certain he is O+. Why wouldn't a doctor talk to us about this?

Makes me so angry.

I have no idea why someone wouldn't talk to you about that. I'd be kind of upset, too. From my experience, I had assumed this was pretty much standard procedure.

Do you happen to know the blood type of your son?

My doctors didn't even ask my partners blood type, I got the anti d injection because of my blood being negative.
Maybe mention it at your next appointment. I'm in the uk though so it might be different x

I don't know my sons blood type. In fact I didn't even know my own until this ob did my blood panel for this pregnancy.

Crazy that they haven't mentioned it. My doctor has a non urgent online messaging system. I sent them a message and hopefully they get back to me soon.

I'm happy I was lurking around this board. I know it's a small risk our blood would be exchanged, but still totally preventable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->