• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

im so upset...

Jennifer.

TTC
Reaction score
I am on tricare but I am allowed to see civilian doctors..I had my first appointment set up for monday and I was so excited. I was informed today that I had to see base for my pregnancy..I was upset but it was whatever

I call the appointment line and they tell me I wont see anybody until 12 weeks!!! I am so upset and I feel like they are ruining this experience for me..I was so excited for this 6 week checkup and I was excited about making sure I was progressing like I should be. they wont even check my levels until 12 weeks..I'm a mess right now

Aw Jennifer. I am soo sorry. How stressful this must be for you! :(

this is the 2nd time ive had to cancel my first appointment =[

That really sucks! I'm surprised to hear this though as my sister is military and she didn't have to see a base doctor.....of course she doesn't live on a base so maybe that has something to do with it. I certainly understand being upset. I hate that they make people wait until 12 weeks to check everything....it causes a lot of extra stress!!!!

Sorry, but maybe go private for the first appointment?

We're not usually seen until 10-12wks in Ireland for a first appointment, but as I had a mc before, we privately saw/went to an early pregnancy unit at 8-9wks for scan, etc.

best wishes!

That really sucks! I'm surprised to hear this though as my sister is military and she didn't have to see a base doctor.....of course she doesn't live on a base so maybe that has something to do with it. I certainly understand being upset. I hate that they make people wait until 12 weeks to check everything....it causes a lot of extra stress!!!!

I dont live on base either and i'm allowed civilian doctors. this is why I dont understand why I have to go to base for my pregnancy. they denied my referral and thats all I needed to see the ob that I wanted.

I wanted this to be special..they dont see you as people there, your just another number because they are dealing with so many pregnancies.

I will probably just pay out of pocket for the first appointment because I want to make sure im doing fine with the pregnancy...or I may just go to the ER to make sure everything is fine..

I'm no longer a military wife, but I remember Tricare can be tricky business.

If it makes you feel any better, my general doctor referred me to the women's care dept. of our medical complex for the pregnancy and they wouldn't schedule an appointment with me until almost 9 weeks... and also required that me and my husband took a "Pre-parenting" class before they would schedule it.

After talking with my doctor when I did finally make it in, he said that they prefer to schedule as close to 12 weeks as possible so that there is "something to look at" on the ultrasound. His exact words! Initially I was pissed off, but then after realizing how insanely worried early pregnancy can make you, I sort of understand.

I think if you switch to Tricare Standard you can see whatever Dr you want. Now you will pay co pays and will have to pay more out of pocket but they may be worth it. Thankfully the base we are at does not have a hospital on base so I got my referral approved. Try to find out more info about standard from them if you don't mind paying out of pocket.

I am with Tricare Standard and sure, we have to pay co pays which isn't much at all but I get to see a civilian OB, definitely worth it! :)

I think I might just switch to standard. Do you just call or is that something hubby needs to do

Hubby called and changed mine over but you may be able to do it also

I'm on Tricare (Prime) too, and didn't have any issue going to a civilian doctor for my prenatal care. Knock on wood, Tricare has really been great to me so far...paid for lots of really fun and expensive fertility diagnoses/treatments/drugs and no issue with a regular doctor. My husband has on-base medical, but they don't see dependents. Unfortunately, the list of OBs who take Tricare here is very limited, and I'm starting to have some concerns about the office I chose...they don't regularly do most of the screenings that I thought were standard of care...discouraged doing the genetic blood testing, don't do 12 week NT scans, etc. Pretty weird.

I'm on Tricare (Prime) too, and didn't have any issue going to a civilian doctor for my prenatal care. Knock on wood, Tricare has really been great to me so far...paid for lots of really fun and expensive fertility diagnoses/treatments/drugs and no issue with a regular doctor. My husband has on-base medical, but they don't see dependents. Unfortunately, the list of OBs who take Tricare here is very limited, and I'm starting to have some concerns about the office I chose...they don't regularly do most of the screenings that I thought were standard of care...discouraged doing the genetic blood testing, don't do 12 week NT scans, etc. Pretty weird.

Idk I think not doing the 12 week NT scan is a common thing. I've been to OBs in NC and LA and none one of them do 12 week scans. Nor has my sister in law had a 12 week scan. I didn't with the civilian Dr I'm with now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"