I'm soooo confused...

loopy loulou

Mum of 3:)
Reaction score
.. about making up bottles with powder..

I'm just starting to switch from breast to bottle for LO's daytime feeds and am using ready made cartons at the moment cause she is only having 1 bottle a day..

Anyway, when she is having more bottles I will switch to powder as it's much cheaper.

When doing my research about making up the bottles or reading on the tin, the thing I thought was the most important was adding the powder to the water when the water was at least 70 degrees. This is because the powder isn't sterile and the water needs to be this hot to kill any bacteria.

But reading on here about how people make up bottles I see that a lot of people add the powder to the water later, at room temperature. What impact does this have on the formula?

Just so confused about it all... :wacko:

I know people heat bottles in different ways and everyone says just do what works for you, but with the whole 'hot temperature needed to kill any bacteria' I can't see how you can deviate from that rule...

Could some kind lady explain please!..... :flower:

Now I'm confused LOL

the impact that will have on the powder is that the water will not kill any bacteria and that there could potentially be bacteria in the feed.
what i do is i boil the kettle and then i make up about 4 bottles at a time with the just boiled water, killing any bacteria i then cool the bottles quickly in cold water and store them in the fridge until i want to use them, the bacteria is killed by the hot water and then by storing in the fridge near the back it will prevent any bacteria growing too. then i just heat the bottle when i need it.

i know people do it in loads of different ways but this has worked for us fine and i wold never add powder to water that was not 70 degrees or above. hope that helps

I do mine the same as Zoe as my biggest concern was the bacteria in powder - that carton is sitting in my cupboard for over a week! Some people don't like to do it this way because it makes it harder when out and about to heat bottles up - i just take a bottle warming flask x

It is worth mentioning that there are some formulas which can't be made up with hot water... I'm fairly sure some of the "stay down" type formulas are in that group.

Honestly, this will probably just turn into a huge debate again about what the "right" way is. How about you just find the best way that works for you, that you are happy with, and everyone else will do the same?

Honestly, this will probably just turn into a huge debate again about what the "right" way is. How about you just find the best way that works for you, that you are happy with, and everyone else will do the same?

Thanks for your reply but I really don't think I am starting any debate.. as a newbie I just wanted to get the facts! I know there are loads of ways of making bottles, they are all fine and they all work for different people, but my question was just about the reasons behind some of the rules..

I have my answers now so will now make up my own mind and find the way that suits me best.

Thanks everyone. x :thumbup:

I don't see any problems with asking questions hun, people will tell you their way if they choose to. No one will say any one is wrong, only why they do it the way they do.

Hope you have found your way xx

May I ask why you are switching to formula?

I've decided to combo feed for a few reasons.. I love BF my daughter but it's always been a bit of a struggle.. she has a lazy latch and I've had problems with sore nipples and thrush. She is sometimes quite fussy at the breast and a lot of the time it is not the beautiful experience that it should be! I fed my son for a year and it was fantastic.. no problems whatsoever.

She is also a hungry baby so am feeding her every couple of hours and I really feel drained, I want to hold off solids for a little while yet so if I carried on exclusively BF I think I would have to up her feeds even more! :wacko:

I am planning to continue to BF her first thing in the morning and at bedtime to fulfil my BF need! But am actually looking forward to being able to have a couple hours off during the day and maybe go and get my hair done or just have some me time!! :happydance:

we fill our bottles with boiled water let them cool and put in the fridge. we then add the powder as we need it... as i was told that you have to throw away milk after it has been made up for more than an hour? x

we fill our bottles with boiled water let them cool and put in the fridge. we then add the powder as we need it... as i was told that you have to throw away milk after it has been made up for more than an hour? x

You do if its room temp :)

You do if its room temp :)

i was told 2 hours?? :-s

On the tubs of Aptamil it says 2 hours, but I usually throw the milk away after 1 hour, more out of precaution than anything. If Evie doesnt drink it within that hour, she very rarely goes back to it anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->