I'm sorry I just don't get it?!

Jibber Jabber

Maxy Moo's Mummy
Reaction score
Max is 21 weeks and I am only just starting to think of starting to wean him in the next 2-4 weeks, completely at his pace. I went to a NCT reunion yesterday and out of 8 babies 6 were having food - 5 of which started at 16 weeks.

I was talking to some of the girls and they said that they had started weaning because they wanted to and that they were excited to see their LO's eating and having new experiences?! Only one of them said that their baby was draining 9oz bottles every 2-3 hours.

Now I am not criticising anyone for weaning their child early for reasons that they feel appropriate. We are all (or should be!) responsible parents who have the needs of our children as our main priority but I just don't understand the rush to wean for absolutely no reason other than to suit themselves?

Sorry if that sounds like a rant, everything with my group seems to be such a rush - I don't understand why they don't slow down and enjoy their babies. The last 21 weeks have flown by and I want to enjoy the "baby" stage as long as I can.

i totally understand where you are coming from... my daughter is 24 weeks and 1 day and ive only just started her to taste some things when she is interested but not fully just yet.. and i dont plan on it until she wants to.. i have the pressure from my mother in law who says she should be eating 3 meals a day etc and im like ill give MY daughter what i want when i want.. and she wont be having three meals a day until she is 8 months atleast. her formula has most of the nutrients she needs.. she just thinks she knows best... even a nutritionist and my health nurse say she should only be having at most rice cereal for iron and anything else is just to try

Oh my MIL is the same, obviously it's completely sensible to wean at 6 weeks like she did with hubs. She was telling me to put rusk in his last bottle at 6 weeks and couldn't understand why I was so upset when I stopped BF.

I think it's because we are all idiots, we have to do what they say. Obviously. ;)

I don't get it, to me its something you hold of on for as long as possible, but hey, each to there own.
I understand it for medical reasons (reflux/failure to thrive/extreme hunger) but in other instances I think its almost part of the whole 'competitive' parenting thing. Wanting babies to do things as 'soon' as possible to keep up with others iykwim?

TBH I cannot understand why else you'd ignore medical guidelines?

i agree hun!

i understand when people have to do it for medical reasons and have been advised by a medical professional but i dont understand the rush. tbh its such a hassle now shes eating as i now have to fit in food as well as bottles into our routine, not to mention the mess factor :dohh: plus i dont want to be the possible cause of her having digestive issues when shes older

I wanted to put weaning off for as long as possible! I didn't want to rush into it and was terrified about starting. I find it so stressful even now and we have been doing it for a month.
We had all the comments and questions about why she wasn't on solids yet etc etc but I'm glad I stuck to my guns and held off.

My NCT lot were the same, and I felt the same as you!

Not sure why people are in a rush. We started with it early for medical reasons (acid reflux) although kept it at 1 tbsp a day until 6 months, wasn't full on weaning.

It's messy, it takes forever, it's a pain in the ass, it's certainly not fun after the initial curiosity wears off... I wish he would drink milk forever.

same as everyone else :thumbup: its such a pain in the arse, it takes forever, double the work, messy as hell..why would anyone be excited lol...

<3

I just went to Sain's and had a look at the Ella's kitchen stuff and I felt a wave of anxiety and fear!! Is it ok to wean them when they are 9!?! :p

Emma is one week shy of 7months and im just now letting her have baby oat meal I wanted to delay soilds longer but she is clearly ready its very bitter sweet. but there is alot of pressure from family and friends to give your baby soilds ppl would say "I gave my baby food at 3 months blah blah blah" well that's good for you but I will not be doing so.

I totally feel the same as you, there are medical reasons why I am waiting until exactly 26 weeks/6 months but even still I'd prefer to wait as long as possible. My middle two just had no interest in solids until six months; so I would have been forcing them to do something they didn't want to do and were not ready for, before that time xx

same as everyone else :thumbup: its such a pain in the arse, it takes forever, double the work, messy as hell..why would anyone be excited lol...

<3

Haha agreed idk when we will start actul foods but I'd really like to skipp the purees I wish she had teeth then I'd feel more comfortable with giving her soilds since having teeth is a sign that the tummy has the proper digestive juices to break down the food.

While I do agree, I have started Erin this week (24weeks) with veg finger foods. This is mainly due to the fact that she constantly grabs at whatever I have and I thought I would prefer her to have good foods rather than mine - choc, crisps, chips etc.... not the best diet for a baby! I am petrified of this weaning lark and starting iff slowly and at her pace. She is doing well so far (I think :shrug: ) but doesn't eat much at all!! I wanted to wait as long as possible, but sometimes LO chooses when they are ready.

I went to a baby clinic the other week and LOs as young as 8weeks were having soilds :wacko: I was listening to a conversation between 2 women who were clearly competeing with each other over who's baby was better at what - 'mine is on 3 meals and only 10weeks', 'well, mine was eating rusks at 8weeks'..... I just don't get the urgency, rush or point!!!!!!

<3

Haha agreed idk when we will start actul foods but I'd really like to skipp the purees I wish she had teeth then I'd feel more comfortable with giving her soilds since having teeth is a sign that the tummy has the proper digestive juices to break down the food.

I did blw with my Lo from 6 months and he got his first tooth at 12 months infact only has 2 teeth now!! Could and still can 'chew ' very well with his gums

<3

I did blw with my Lo from 6 months and he got his first tooth at 12 months infact only has 2 teeth now!! Could and still can 'chew ' very well with his gums

my lo also does blw and can chew beautifully..has no teeth..no signs of any teeth coming..i think he'll get them late as i heard they can get teeth later if its hereditary and apparantly i didnt get a tooth until i was atleast a year..

i dont know about the digestive juices ive never heard that before..i havent noticed a problem with my lo digesting food yet though..everything seems to come out the other end fine and normal? haha:haha:

Emma is one week shy of 7months and im just now letting her have baby oat meal I wanted to delay soilds longer but she is clearly ready its very bitter sweet. but there is alot of pressure from family and friends to give your baby soilds ppl would say "I gave my baby food at 3 months blah blah blah" well that's good for you but I will not be doing so.

Sorry this if OT but I have to tell you that your little girl is so so pretty!!! :flower:

Its so good to hear other parents who were not in a rush to wean.

I also waited till bang on 24 weeks. Whilst all parents have some little OCD about something for their baby's, mine was/is food. For Most of my friends it was the germs on shared toys or not eating food which had been dropped on the floor. I didn't want to aggravate the intestines of my daughter by giving her anything too harsh until she had adapted. So, now she is almost 30 weeks and I have just introduced animal protein. I stuck with purely fruit And vegetables up to now. Much of my family have said and do keep saying how rusks Re the ideal foods for my daughter t get used to finger foods, believing that steamed veggie sticks are horrible!

I am really happy with how Poppy is feeding but I would like here to become a little better at using her fingers. I suppose that because I have followed the TLW route, that is what happens. I do make the purees more lumpy now and she is fine.

I also don't want her to have juice. I've encouraged water from a cup and she manages great.

When I asked my health vistor about eating what we do, she said she can,
Provided I take out the foods before I add seasoning etc. I am very hesitant about this. Both my husband and I love cooking and use lots of different stocks, spices, oil. So I wnder when or how she can have our foods. anyone got any ideas?

Well, one mum in our NCT group is like that. Her baby was trying to crawl at 3 weeks, teething at 4 weeks and said daddy at 20 weeks :roll:

She was so desperate to be the first to wean (her baby's the eldest in the group) that she started at 15 weeks (her baby was "bored of milk"). I guess she must have felt a bit silly cos the entire remainder of the group didnt start for another two months...

I cried last week when i started my baby on solids... My little baby, now growing up :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->