I'm too scared.....

xxxjacxxx

My Eggo is Preggo!
Reaction score
to experiment with Finger foods...:blush:

Leo is nearly 8 months old and has only had bread with a slither of jam on or cheese spread and even then i will sit and watch him like a hawk...my heart skips a beat when he gags on a peice and i'm in his mouth like jack flash getting the peice out.....

How do you girls feed your babies all that stuff in the thread in sticky?

I really want to give him finger foods and he thoroughly enjoys feeding himself and its a joy to watch..i'm just frightened to death he';s going to choke:nope:

I just give it to her :lol:

Im not overly worried about choking and we've only had 1 really bad incident and that was from spoon fed stuff.

If they dont try it they wont learn for themselves to spit stuff out that they cant chew, so just go with the flow, or have a vodka first :rofl:

Holly dont tempt me...!

I'm a right scaredy cat though.....i dunno why:shrug:
I gave him a chunk of cheese earlier but as soon as he started biting bits off i crapped myself and took it off him..he squealed..bad mummy:blush:

try stuff like roasted parsnip. sweet potato or normal potato - its like a puree in a skin:) Daisy loves this and never ever Gags on this kinda stuff:D Bread will be quite hard to eat for him, get some and try to suck on it - it will probs stick to the roof of your mouth and most likely make you gag! - i tried it and it did to me!! (no teeth allowed!!LOL) Toast is a good one too hun, make sure its fairly well done then it wont go too soggy and stick to the roof of his mouth :hugs:

i just give it to annabelle i just watched like a hawk but then i mellowed but never intervened just let her gag and spit it out we havent had serious choking on anything i sound like such a bad mummy

good luck hun

Lou
xxx

your right about the bread..he just kinda sucks this and then gets a bit stuck on his gum and spits it out...might try him with potato tomorrow....just boiled?

I have a LO who has problems with choking (part of one of her disabilities) and we've had a fair few gagging so bad she throws up events.. But I still persevere. Just try hun, I am sure he'll be fine. Give him soft stuff at first then once you're more confident you can branch out

Emma does the gagging then throwing up thing - but she then tries to retrieve the brought up pieces from her bib and eat them again (she is a tink!).

I dont worry so much about the gagging as long as there is a noise, as the HV has said its when they are making no noise you worry.

Before she would gag, then cough maybe once or twice then spew - or spew instantly. Butshe is gradually getting better at it and can gag, cough, and then clear whatever it is and carry on - tho she will usually reach for her juice after.

Try the potato roasted, or bake and then roast a bit (quicker!) as it will be hard enough to hold on the outside but very soft inside.

Roast carrot is also very good for being mushy on the inside :thumbup:

i would roast it jaq - that way the outside will be a little easier for Leo to hold onto, i've tried boiled pots and carrot and they just slip out of her hands:dohh: i do like Potato Wedges and nibble the sharp bits off before i give them to her. or try broccoli or cauli - they have their own little 'handle' - daisy loves to nibble at the top bits of them and only take ten mins to cook (i boil them) and they cant push them too far back as the florets are quite big iygwim? :hugs: hoe it goes well:hugs:

aww thanks girls youve given me some confidence to try him with stuff now.

he's had cod tonight:happydance: I took the fish out of the breadcumb outer and gave him chunks of the fish..it mushed a bit but the bit he got in his mouth he loved:cloud9:

Katie has just massacared Nutella on Toast, she looks a bloody mess and is all sticky but she loved it.

Slices of banana cut into quarters, potato wedges squared off at the top, wotsits.

Good luck

V xxxx

aww well done Leo :happydance:

to be honest I just tried it all with Hannah and she did really well (I never worried much about it but I did worry most of Stan's family :haha:) She's gagged on occasion but the only real choking incident we had was after she was a year old and had 6/7 teeth to chew with!

I'm going to relax a bit more with him now...before I know it he will be scoffing chicken dinners!

thanks girls, your all amazing x:hugs:

IMO you've just got to do give him it and let him gag so he'll learn to chew or take smaller bits. Obviously don't leave him alone but 'choking' isn't really choking unless they can't breathe IYKWIM? Babys gag reflex is really strong so they won't choke.

i used to give lilly roasted carrots and boiled fruit hun im sure everything will be ok hun... your there to watch give it a go xxxx

This is one part i find hard, i panic when Alex gags aswell but i know i have to let him do it to learn. Weve only had one incident where he gagged and puked.

We has a gag and puke episode yester day when Katie grabbed a dorito, she got it stuck and spewed up thick spit, she didnt even flinch and i was like, GIVE HER WATER now!!!!!

V xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->