I'm vegetarian- any healthy eating tips for TTC?

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Ivoryapril, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Ivoryapril

Ivoryapril Well-Known Member

:pizza:I'm vegetarian- any advice for TTC? We're just about to start trying for our first baby and i've already started to take pregnancy supplements but does anyone have any other tips for staying healthy? :pizza:

2. DaisyDuke

DaisyDuke Matilda Tasya's mum :)

I used to be a vegan, look for ur protein in beans and nuts. XXX

3. TigerLady

TigerLady CaveTiger Clan Mama

I'm not a veg. but I do have a good background in biology. I would strongly rec. doing some research and talking to an OB. Do you have an OB picked out? I would go see him/her. I do know there are certain amino acids (building blocks of protiens, and hence, :baby:) that your body can't make and come from meat. I think there are supplements that can make up for that, though.

Def talk to a doc first chance you get! :)

Good luck!:dust:

4. hekate

hekate An Angel & an Earth Child

I have to disagree with tigerlady....I am vegan myself...you can get all needed nutrients for yourself and your baby from a plant based diet..... especially protein is easy to obtain as it is in anything from whole wheat bread to broccoli....it's all about balance....

5. Jai_Jai

Jai_Jai Mummy to my Jellies

i used to be vegan for a while too and then veggie for yrs, just make sure you eat a lot of nuts beans and pulses and include things like lentils etc in everything it can be done if you do it right.....gd luck xxx

6. Ivoryapril

Thanks. I already eat healthily just because i worry about getting the right nutrients for myself, but i wanted to make sure i was prepared for getting pregnant. I already only eat brown rice and brown bread and i eat loads of veg. Also lots of lentils. Will start to buy more beans and pulses and get nuts to snack on. x

7. interaura

interaura Active Member

I am taking the Boots Vegetarian multivitamin, just in case I am missing out on anything. It doesn't mention on the pack that you can't take when TTC like a lot or normal multivitamins, so I assume they're ok.

8. tansey

tansey Finally a Mummy!

Sounds like you're eating sensible anyway. Just make sure you take folic acid!

9. stargazer

stargazer Mummy & pregnant

Im veggie too, and I always try to eat a healthy balanced diet like you! I eat a fair bit of tofu which is excellent for protein and also snack on nuts. Eat loads of spinach too, as well as other fruit and veg! I think as long as you eat a healthy balanced diet you and future bump will do just fine x

10. Ivoryapril

I think i will look into the veggie multivits. Should i be taking them as well as the pregnancy supplements though? They have folic acid in so i'm covered there, and going to get tucking into spinach for more!