In agony :( --- sharp pain after c section. Will it go away?

ZooMa

Reaction score
I'm 2.5 weeks out from my c section and still having an excruciating pain that I don't think is normal. It's located just to the side and above my incision, and feels like a shard of glass or burning needle that suddenly grabs me. I take ibuprofen round the clock, and am still needing Percocet. If I keep up on my meds I can be pain free. However towards the end of the day it can appear with a vengeance. It's so sharp and sudden if I move a certain way that all I can do is cry out and, well, just cry.

I've never had any type if surgery before, but I'm worried this is something besides normal healing. I can't really identify which movements exacerbate the pain, but even standing up straight, or worse, trying to get in to bed is horrendous. I don't feel feverish, the wound looks fine, and there's no redness or warmth that would make me think infection. I'm just so worried this is going to turn in to a chronic pain issue.

I did see one of the docs last week (not the one that actually did the surgery) and she said that's where there's a knot for one of the internal sutures. She said sometimes if that gets tied too tightly the body reacts to it. However, the knot should resorb and pain be relieved in 2-3 weeks.... Well I'm there but it's not any better. :(

I'm writing this post mainly to wallow in my misery but also to ask if anyone has gone through a similar thing. Thanks.

Hiya,

Remember that you're only two weeks out of major surgery, the estimated recovery time is at least 6 weeks.

Take things easy to help recovery, people do recover at different rates. I know with me it took me ages to be able to move properly and get in and out of bed or up and down off the sofa. Laughing and coughing killed me too.

Keeping trying to move, I really think this helped my recovery and I was much better by the time the six week mark hit.

Remember not to be lifting or pulling or twisting either, I noticed my pain was much worse when I had done too much.

If your pain doesn't seem to be going then I'd definitely see someone else, especially if your wound looks ok - it might be something inside.

Xx

Update - went to doc, (different one, the one that actually did my surgery, said there was nothing out of the ordinary with the procedure.) Apparently my symptoms are still within the range of normal recovery. Really I feel fine if I don't let the meds run out. Doc said not to stretch or overdo it because it might actually slow recovery. I guess I'll just be patient. :( important to mention I have no signs or symptoms of infection, hematoma, or anything else serious. If pain doesn't slowly improve, next step would be CT scan to look deeper in the pelvis, but both doc and I think that wouldn't show anything. I just want to be active again and off the pills!

Glad everything is ok.

Did they not tell you not to do anything before 6 weeks, eg no driving, lifting, twisting or pulling because of it slowing recovery? That should be standard procedure for them to tell you that!

X

Hi zooMa
I just came our of a c section and have exactly what u have described. Can you update me on what happened with u pls?

Wow this was a while ago! Don't give up hope. I definitely got better.

From what I remember, I had a sharp pain like a shard of glass twisting in my lower abdomen, so bad I couldn't left my leg to get in to bed. I was panicking, thinking this would be like this forever. I wasn't in pain all of the time, just when the meds were wearing off and I moved certain ways.

I realized that a regular diet of Advil (ibuprofen) and Percocet (oxycodone/acetaminophen) helped keep the pain at bay. By 3-4 weeks, I was able to wean down from every 4 hours to every 6+. Just don't get behind the pain. You will be able to come off the meds at some point.

Then, suddenly, at about 4 weeks the pain dissipated in 48-72 hours. No more sharp, twisting, debilitating jabs when I moved my legs a certain way. Off the meds completely. It was great! I think there must have been some sort of internal muscle knotting or nerve pinching or scar tissue rearranging because of the incision. Once it worked itself out I was almost instantly better.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->