In labour - home birth

CharlieP

Mum to Charlie
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Have also posted on the home birth forum but was wondering whether anyone on here can help me. I have gone into labour (fairly irregular contractions and started having my show).

we're having a home birth and neither of us can remember at what stage we should phone ambulance control to contact the midwife - does anyone know??

Cheers

sorry i cant offer any 100% advice but dont you have your community midwifes fone number you could call and ask her :-/ that may be a dum reply but i dont know anything about home birthing so sorry if silly answer and good luck xx

In Newcastle we would phone the Maternity Assessment Unit for advice and they would do a phone assessment and call the midwife when appropriate. It would take an hour+ for midwife to arrive so maybe call when you have regular contractions and are getting close to the point where you need gas and air, or support.

I'd say you need to ring your designated mw first just so she knows. She'll tell you when to call her again. Good luck. x

Ring the labour ward/delivery suite/midwife assessment unit at the hospital where your care is undertaken (anywhere with a midwife!) for advice on what's happening and when to call your midwife :flower: Just because you're planning to birth at home it doesn't mean you can't ring them for advice. Good luck, hope all goes well!! I'm hoping for a homebirth myself :flower: xx

How exciting!! Good luck hun! xxx

I personally waited until I felt labour was really getting going which in my case was about 18 hours after contractions started (I have long labours). The mw arrived an hour and a quarter before delivery which was perfect as I didn't want any interference. Interesting the ms in triage decided my baby wasn't coming any time soon which shows how much they know. Best thing is to trust your own instincts over how your labour is progressing.

Not that dilation necessarily means anything with regards to how long til delivery, but you can look for a purple line running up your bum crack which extends a cm with each cm dilation. Mine was very striking at 5/6cm shortly before I called the mw.

i went into labour at around 10pm started having contractions.... called the labour wards at 2 hospitals to let them know and was greeted by 'were busy' from both.

called my community midwife at around 3am... when it started to hurt lol x

lola was born at home at 8am, x

good luck !! how exciting... stay calm, relax and breath ! focus. and youll be fine. xx

Good luck with your hb! Come back and tell us how it went!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->