Inaccuracy of Fundal Height

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Boomerslady, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

I just thought I'd post about the joys of FH and how inaccurate they can be!

I had an appointment with a consultant on Tues (I was 38+2) and she measured me and said I was 39cms.

I saw the MW today (at 38+5) she measured me and said I was 42cms.

She sent me to the hospital to be monitored due to high BP, and when I got here another MW checked, and she measured me as being 44cms!!

I thought it was quite funny, and might put some of you ladies who are worrying, mind at ease.

2. suzib76

suzib76 Well-Known Member

brilliant lol

3. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Isn't that bonkers? 5cm increase in 3 days! The fastest growing bump in the universe!

4. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

yeah i agree, i was measuring 2cms ahed pretty much every week, then 3 weeks ago i measured 3 weeks ahed, but then the following week measured bang on! and now im bang on again! Its all a bit fuzzy isnt it!

5. hayley x

hayley x 1AngelSon,1EarthDaughter

lol same happened with me, on the day I was induced I was measured 36 and 39 within an hour :dohh: xxx

6. hudz26

hudz26 Mum to 3

wow that's one fast growing baby :rofl: i am measuring 3 weeks in front and have been for 3 weeks and am getting a growth scan lol not that i am moaning cos i get to see lo again but i have had 2 9lb + babies lol she ain't gonna be little haha xxx

7. velvetina

velvetina Mum of 3

Thanks, glad to read this, I know it happens, but I was measured at 40 weeks on Friday and am actually 36. It was student this time, although she was good and nice, my reg midwife who was observing didn't even raise an eyebrow. I measured when I got home and I am sure that is near up my bra line!!!!! x

8. Boomerslady

Boomerslady Well-Known Member

Lol it did make me crack up!! I know it's not accurate, but 5cms in 3 days is just mad!

I'm in hospital at the moment so I'm sure they'll measure me again, I'll let you know what it says!!

9. mrskx0x0

mrskx0x0 Scarlett's Mummy

I get that yout belly button is easy to see/ measure....but If you think where they take the bottom of the measurement from... how can it possibly be consistent when there is nothing there to show where they are supposed to stop measuring? I mean, do they just go as low as they can without being had up for molestation??!! :rofl:

10. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

I'd been measuring 4 weeks ahead for a few weeks and was told that I was going to deliver a big baby..she weighed 7lbs 2oz, so she certainly wasnt the heavy weight I expected! I was told after that I'd been carrying alot of water, hence why I measured up so big.

11. naganta

naganta Well-Known Member

It could be due to how baby is positioned? if he is hanging around your back, could be smaller than if he was trying to push his way out through your tummy? lol just a thought

12. Caz-x

Caz-x ʚϊɞ

Or it could make a difference if you are a bit erm 'bunged up' :rofl: . Stupid isn't it!!! haha