incompetent cervix?!

sharkie12

Reaction score
So a few years ago I had a cervical colposcopy and laser procedure to remove some precancerous cells from my cervix. When I told my OB he said he wanted to keep an eye on my cervix... turns out he was right. I had an ultrasound last week (at 21 weeks 6 days) and my cervix had "shortened" to 2.6 cm. The doctor told me normal was at least 3cm. I just went in for another ultrasound today, 6 days later and the radiologist told me that my cervix looks the same, with a very very small amount of funneling. I have been put on pelvic rest and limited physical activity (no sex!) and have another ultrasound next Friday. I can't believe this is happening... after such a "perfect" pregnancy. Is anyone else going through this/gone through this? If so what was the outcome?

Good news is that they caught it early so they can monitor it and treat you. I am certain there are ways for them to keep it from getting out of hand too early.

I have heard of it but I have never been through it. I do agree with the post above mine. It is good that they caught it now, so they will be able to keep an eye on it.

Sorry to be a bit rude but think you get more help in the gestational complications forum xxx sorry to hear you got this but glad they found it in time! xxx

hi i had the same thing, no funneling though, they may put a stitch in, i had myn inserted 4 weeks ago. i still do things a little bit of shopping, drop kids at school etc, etc, no sex, no baths as this can cause infection, only showers, no vigorous exercise etc etc, although i am scared stiff i just need to go 5 more weeks to viability, the hospital will do their very best for you, i ppromise. best of luck xx

So a few years ago I had a cervical colposcopy and laser procedure to remove some precancerous cells from my cervix. When I told my OB he said he wanted to keep an eye on my cervix... turns out he was right. I had an ultrasound last week (at 21 weeks 6 days) and my cervix had "shortened" to 2.6 cm. The doctor told me normal was at least 3cm. I just went in for another ultrasound today, 6 days later and the radiologist told me that my cervix looks the same, with a very very small amount of funneling. I have been put on pelvic rest and limited physical activity (no sex!) and have another ultrasound next Friday. I can't believe this is happening... after such a "perfect" pregnancy. Is anyone else going through this/gone through this? If so what was the outcome?

I had this proceedure done a few years ago and did mention it to my midwife but she seemed unconcerned.

I am now 22 weeks and 2 days but I think I may go and see my gp to be on the safe side as I do not think my midwife had much of a clue to be honest!!!

Hope everything works out ok for you x

Hi

I have an incomplete cervix, I had a stitch put in at 14 weeks. I am also on prosgesterone which is supposed to keep your cervix happy. At 15 weeks my cervix was 2.6 on Friday it is now 2.4. I ended up in hospital last week due to me getting tightenings. Your consultant will keep a close eye on you, your in the best hands.

Hi i just wanted to reply and say i have been through this my first pregnacy was normal until i went into prem labour at 22 weeks at this stage there was nothing they could do because my cervix was already 5cm dialated and they could not stitch it i kept him in until 23 weeks 5 days but he was born and only lived 35 mins thats the sad part but just wanted to share when they know of the condition they do there up most to make sure everythings ok my second pregnacy was looked at normal but to check cervix every 2 weeks just in case at 18 weeks of preg i was funelling and my cervix was only 2.5cm long so they decided to put in a stitch i was very nervous but they do it and in surgery when its done they scan u there and then to show u baby is ok then i was let home later the same day i was told to take everything real easy and of course use antibacterial cream incase of infection i must say i stayed in bed every day and only got up when i needed toilet drink or shwer etc though i must stress i wasnt told to i wanted to had 2 week check up all the way through and it worked i had the sticth removed at 37 weeks and my daughter was born at 39 weeks healthy so when they know whats happening they do everything to help forgot 2 mention i was given steroids at 23 and 24 weeks to help baby lungs mature in case of prem labour my daughter is now 2 yrs old and perfect so just stay positive rest and believe its ok
me and my husband want to try again for a baby but i am to scared now because i have a daughter to look after so i am waiting till she starts nursery next year i would be keen to know if any one with this condition didnt bed rest and if it was ok
hope this helps
selina

I had the same procedure done five years ago (I am absolutely fuming now because nobody told me it could lead to complications like that) but my obgyn doesn't seem to be very concerned and everything is progressing fine. I heard if there are complications they will just put a stitch on it and you'll be fine sweetie. Rest up, try not to sit a lot as it puts pressure on cervix and don't lift anything. Good luck xxx

I had LLETZ surgery in January 2009, and my midwife and GP keep telling me its nothing to worry about. At my 20 week scan (new years eve) Im going to ask more about it, see if they can look at/measure my cervix and take it from there. Im pretty worried too so Im sending us both positive vibes xx

Hi just got back from scan and have shortened cervix 2.3cm. I have to take progesterone this week then go back nxt week to see if I need a stich put in. I am 16 weeks. I also had the laser treatment in 2005 for abnormal cells and wasn't advised about this at all, plus I've got to chase up my own hospital records and email the consultant what measurement they removed in a biopsy!! Scary time though I'm trying to stay positive.

I can't be of much help but now I know to watch out for this. I had several colposcopy's and a loop procedure when I was young. My midwife and I discussed it and she mentioned that it may cause me to stall in dilation at a couple of places depending on scar tissue.

I read about this connection between the colposcopy's and lasers for precancerous cells, and their effect on pregnancy! This is why in the US at least they are now recommending that young women (in their 20's and early 30's) get fewer pap smears. Apparently those precancerous cells are generally slow growing and often go away on their own, so if you have fewer paps they will still catch serious cancer, but do fewer of these procedures that can cause serious pregnancy complications. It seems counterintuitive to think that fewer tests for cancer is actually better, but seems the ladies in this thread prove it!

LHG, I am pleased they are keeping a close eye on you. I have known a few girls who have had lletz/laser treatments (through a cervical cancer support forum) and gone on to have successful pregnancies (with and without vaginal stitches). Most of the advice that the girls are given is that a single lletz treatment shouldn't cause IC but I've heard of cases where that is simply not the case - or maybe the surgery wasn't the cause.

I had more extensive surgery after being diagnosed with early stages of cc, something called a trachelectomy. It is usual total removal of the cervix, but they left with with between 1-1.5cm depending on who measured it. They thought that I would be fine through my pregnancy (?!) but unfortunately my waters broke at 23 weeks. I think my case is probably quite unusual as I had such extensive surgery but a stitch wasn't placed at the time of the initial op.

I think its good that you are being monitored regularly, a friend of mine had about the same amount of cervix as you and she got to 35 weeks (no stitch) with no problems at all. Its a little early but baby did/doing just fine.

xxxx

i had thisdone a year past November, now im worried im going to ask my midwife at my appointment although i did put in my notes i had a colcoscopy done, it wasnt laser tho it was the loop hole excursion or something dont know if that is less risk?

Ah feck now I'm paranoid too! I had the LLETZ procedure done oct 08, and have let my midwife know, it's in my notes, but noone seems bothered! I wish I'd said at my scan on Tuesday now.....hmmmm. Anyone else had this done and noone has bothered about it???

hi, i had the LLETZ loop treatment only 3 months before i got pregnant so i was really worried - when i had my first scan i saw the midwife at the hospital who had my notes from the procedure and said that i would have a normal pregnancy as the amount taken from my cervix was so small, therefore they wont do any more checks on me. but typically i am still worrying about it! xxxx

hi, i had the LLETZ loop treatment only 3 months before i got pregnant so i was really worried - when i had my first scan i saw the midwife at the hospital who had my notes from the procedure and said that i would have a normal pregnancy as the amount taken from my cervix was so small, therefore they wont do any more checks on me. but typically i am still worrying about it! xxxx

Ahhhhh maybe they have my notes from it too, I do remember it was only a small amount they removed. I think it's just so natural to worry about every little thing, and when you see someone else having had the same thing and had problems with it, it send you into panic mode! I found some threads on other sites too where women have had it done and been perfectly fine....xx

Hi girls,

I hope I didn't worry anybody. I think with a single lletz treatment it would be very unlikely for it to cause any problems. I know that it can still be worrying though.

I think it is more if you have had a couple of lletz treatments or a cone biopsy too. I had a lletz, cone biopsy and partial trachelectomy and was left with very little cervix.

K1mberley - Not sure if this helps, my understanding is that the lletz (loop thingy) is that it is the newer procedure for of removing pre-cancerous cells. They used to use lazer treatment. I don't think there is anymore risk with either as the amount of cervix removed is likely to be the same - just my thoughts.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->